Status
Not open for further replies.

ltrainer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 18, 2010
upstate ny
I got some bug up my .... a while back and had to stir the pot. In NY we have a Quit Smoking program. Its goverment run and they spend a lot of money on TV, internet and print ads trying to get people to quit smoking. Money is also spent on the programs as well. Meanwhile they have tried to introduce legislation that curtails electronic cigarette usage.

So I wrote to the program that if they wanted big success for their program that it would be in their best interest to promote electronic cigarettes rather than trying to prohibit it. Guess what? I never heard back.

I believe the electronic cigarette is the best method by far to get smokers off analogs. THe goverment has waged war for years trying to get people to stop smoking. Billions of dollars are spent and the best solution is sitting right in fron tof their face and they don't see it. Institutional mind think sucks and moves so slow.

chainsaw316

Feb 23, 2012
New Jersey
I see those ads all the time also and laugh. If it wasn't going to hurt a politicians pockets (or if it was going to makie them any kind of money) Cuomo would have entertained the notion.

Chris Christie will NEVER allow anything like that in New Jersey...the tobacco taxes here support too many state funded organizations. Its friggin ridiculous.

Bullwinkle

ECF Veteran
Mar 18, 2012
USA
Good luck. Right and wrong seem to exit the picture once a person is elected to office, and usually long before that. Once elected it is just a question of who gives the most money.

Sad, but true, and somewhat depressing, but still true.

buy it cheap and stack it deep. You are on their list by virtue of being alive, and they will be coming for you eventually. Bet on it.

Gangsters, all of them.

Last edited:

davelog

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 4, 2011
Phoenix
www.davelog.com
I got some bug up my .... a while back and had to stir the pot. In NY we have a Quit Smoking program. Its goverment run and they spend a lot of money on TV, internet and print ads trying to get people to quit smoking. Money is also spent on the programs as well. Meanwhile they have tried to introduce legislation that curtails electronic cigarette usage.

So I wrote to the program that if they wanted big success for their program that it would be in their best interest to promote electronic cigarettes rather than trying to prohibit it. Guess what? I never heard back.

I believe the electronic cigarette is the best method by far to get smokers off analogs. THe goverment has waged war for years trying to get people to stop smoking. Billions of dollars are spent and the best solution is sitting right in fron tof their face and they don't see it. Institutional mind think sucks and moves so slow.

Don't kid yourself. All the anti-smoking rhetoric is theater. The government makes far too much money from tobacco and its related taxes to actually want it eradicated.

SammyT

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Mar 14, 2011
Auburn, Alabama, USA
www.freighttrainmods.com
Don't kid yourself. All the anti-smoking rhetoric is theater. The government makes far too much money from tobacco and its related taxes to actually want it eradicated.

Yep, especially NY where cigs are so daggum expensive. Those commercials and ads had an opposite effect on me, they reminded me I hadn't had a cig in the last half hour :(. Everyone knows smoking is bad for you, it's not like a commercial reminding people is going to change anything.

-Sam

SammyT

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Mar 14, 2011
Auburn, Alabama, USA
www.freighttrainmods.com

Kudos for speaking up! :)

-Sam

TennDave

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 19, 2010
Knoxville, TN
The Govment:
1. They Need People to Smoke- it's great tax revenue- in the billions
2. They need Quit smoking programs promoted by and supported by the FDA- patches, gums, lozenges, etc...the approved methods (not e-cigs)- this makes tons of money for Big Pharma who supports FDA and other Mickey Mouse Alphabet ANTZ (anti-nicotine and tobacco zealots) organizations (AHA, ALA, CDC, etc.) that are funded by Big Pharma.
3. They need people to be sick with heart disease, cancer and the like- that comes from smoking- this way Big Pharma can continue making their billions from drugs, medications, surgeries, hospitalizations, etc. after people get sick.
4. They don't need or want for e-cigs to catch on (or for that matter, SNUS, other dissolveables and other harm reduction products)- See #'s 1-3 above...if they did, then people would quit smoking, drugs from big pharma would no longer be needed and folks would not be sick and in need of continued pharmaceuticals... So e-cigs don't do anything for the Pocket Book of any of the above organizations.... That's the reason...

So, as Rob already mentioned- Follow the Money!! What gripes me is that our hard earned Tax Payer money continues this entire rat-race in motion. So money is in the "Push and Pull."- in "approved" stop smoking programs, smoking itself and in the treatment of disease caused by smoking. Notice lately that Big Tobacco is very quiet? Why would they cause waves- they're still making billions.

I've been fairly active on the Legislative section of this forum and have learned a ton- Support CASAA (it's free)... We need to fight this battle but the cards are stacked against us- the ANTZ, FDA and the Mickey Mouse/Alphabet Soup organizations have all the money- The only thing that will turn the tide is to educate the public and it's not going to be through news stories- reporters twist things to sensationalize everything- they also are into the $$ and print what sells. It's going to be through Social Networking... Spread the truth to your friends, relatives and especially other smokers! This nonsense has to stop!!!

Okay, I feel better- I'm off of my soap box now.
-TennDave

Last edited:

Rhapsodies Fire

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 18, 2010
Bow, WA, USA
www.reosmods.com
The Govment:
1. They Need People to Smoke- it's great tax revenue- in the billions
2. They need Quit smoking programs promoted by and supported by the FDA- patches, gums, lozenges, etc...the approved methods (not e-cigs)- this makes tons of money for Big Pharma who supports FDA and other Mickey Mouse Alphabet ANTZ (anti-nicotine and tobacco zealots) organizations (AHA, ALA, CDC, etc.) that are funded by Big Pharma.
3. They need people to be sick with heart disease, cancer and the like- that comes from smoking- this way Big Pharma can continue making their billions from drugs, medications, surgeries, hospitalizations, etc. after people get sick.
4. They don't need or want for e-cigs to catch on (or for that matter, SNUS, other dissolveables and other harm reduction products)- See #'s 1-3 above...if they did, then people would quit smoking, drugs from big pharma would no longer be needed and folks would not be sick and in need of continued pharmaceuticals... So e-cigs don't do anything for the Pocket Book of any of the above organizations.... That's the reason...

So, as Rob already mentioned- Follow the Money!! What gripes me is that our hard earned Tax Payer money continues this entire rat-race in motion. So money is in the "Push and Pull."- in "approved" stop smoking programs, smoking itself and in the treatment of disease caused by smoking. Notice lately that Big Tobacco is very quiet? Why would they cause waves- they're still making billions.

I've been fairly active on the Legislative section of this forum and have learned a ton- Support CASAA (it's free)... We need to fight this battle but the cards are stacked against us- the ANTZ, FDA and the Mickey Mouse/Alphabet Soup organizations have all the money- The only thing that will turn the tide is to educate the public and it's not going to be through news stories- reporters twist things to sensationalize everything- they also are into the $$ and print what sells. It's going to be through Social Networking... Spread the truth to your friends, relatives and especially other smokers! This nonsense has to stop!!!

Okay, I feel better- I'm off of my soap box now.
-TennDave

Well spoken, Dave. :) I've been avoiding responding here because of how agitated I get over this silly catch 22 they've created that so many fail to see. Words are typically my friend...but they fail me when I'm this frustrated with the head in the sand mentality we face.
*kicking my soap box back to the corner*

TennDave

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 19, 2010
Knoxville, TN
I agree w/ you Rhaps- I've pretty much come to terms with it... How things are, but it still pisses me off to no end.
And to think that our tax payer dollars support a ton of this mess.

I am constructing a letter to send to democratic leaders (unfortunately many of them are what's continuing this bandwagon) and I've been one to typically vote democrat the last several elections. They may mean well, but they tend to be in with the ANTZ...not sure if they are like this out of ignorance or because of deep pockets....but somehow I want to write them to "enlighten" them about what's going on. As much as I hate to admit it, republicans tend to be the ones with a listening ear and sometimes help vapers out which is counter to what folks might expect. I'm not trying to be political here...and I apologize if I step on someone's toes. In the process of trying to "take care" of citizens, democratic leaders (and not all of them but a good number) have gone way over-board and seem to act on emotions and misinformation fed to them. Anyway, writing them might not do any good but we'll see. It will take the better part of a day to write a letter that is concise and to the point but with factual information in it as well.

Bullwinkle

ECF Veteran
Mar 18, 2012
USA
I agree w/ you Rhaps- I've pretty much come to terms with it... How things are, but it still pisses me off to no end.
And to think that our tax payer dollars support a ton of this mess.

I am constructing a letter to send to democratic leaders (unfortunately many of them are what's continuing this bandwagon) and I've been one to typically vote democrat the last several elections. They may mean well, but they tend to be in with the ANTZ...not sure if they are like this out of ignorance or because of deep pockets....but somehow I want to write them to "enlighten" them about what's going on. As much as I hate to admit it, republicans tend to be the ones with a listening ear and sometimes help vapers out which is counter to what folks might expect. I'm not trying to be political here...and I apologize if I step on someone's toes. In the process of trying to "take care" of citizens, democratic leaders (and not all of them but a good number) have gone way over-board and seem to act on emotions and misinformation fed to them. Anyway, writing them might not do any good but we'll see. It will take the better part of a day to write a letter that is concise and to the point but with factual information in it as well.

Keep writing, it may do some good. I sincerely hope it does.

tl;dr below (Cliffs notes: we're screwed.)

Unfortunately the whole Dem vs. Repub thing is theater for the masses. They are both "Big Government" and exist these days to give the voter the false choice of one versus the other. It's already an oligarchy, the parties are there to trick the average voter into thinking they have a choice. And I mean average voter, as in the general populous, which is pretty gullible.

What's that old saying about the greatest trick the Devil ever pulled?

Nah, doesn't apply at all. Donks are better than Elephants. No, wait, Elephants are better than Donks. Choose one or the other. There is no other choice. There is no oligarchy, for real, we promise. Don't think for a moment that disagreements between oligarchs, such as those between the Kennedys and the Clintons, mean anything more than an inside squabble between brother wolves over who gets to eat the most sheep.

There is one small difference between the parties though, and that is that legitimate small-government candidates can run on the Repub ticket while the same situation is almost impossible with the Dems. This doesn't mean that most Repubs aren't big gov. shirtbirds just like their Dem cousins though.

Divide and conquer. This is the plan, and it's working quite nicely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread