FDA WV Politician takes on FDA

Status
Not open for further replies.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
He mentioned a prediction I hadn't heard before, how many more millions in the US might switch to vaping in the next few years, a big, important number. If it happened tobacco tax revenues would be decimated. The funding cuts would hurt the people who are most opposed to vaping and help the people who need it most, low income smokers--and their households.

One of the lessons from this mess is "public health" does not refer to the public's health.

MyMagicMist

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2014
He mentioned a prediction I hadn't heard before, how many more millions in the US might switch to vaping in the next few years, a big, important number. If it happened tobacco tax revenues would be decimated. The funding cuts would hurt the people who are most opposed to vaping and help the people who need it most, low income smokers--and their households.

One of the lessons from this mess is "public health" does not refer to the public's health.

Yes, already an estimated 9 million no longer contribute to Big Tobacco in the U.S.. He's expecting that to double to 18 million within the next few years.

On average say a pack of cigarettes costs $6.00.

There are 10 packs per carton. This is $60.00 per carton, prior to taxes.

Let's keep it simple and go with a flat rate of 10% tax.

Add $6.00 to $60.00 = $66.00 per carton * on average 2 cartons a month = $132.00 monthly * 12 months = $1,584.00.

Now, let's take say $1,500 to be conservative, graceful and multiply that by 1 million = $1,500,000,000.00 that is 1.5 billion dollars that big tobacco does not see annually from only 1 million consumers.

We have 9 million consumers so that is $13,500,000,000.00, 13.5 billion big tobacco is not getting a year.

If we double that consumer base in the next few years $27,000,000,000.00 27 billion dollars will go away from Big Tobacco.

Alright, now that is only here in the United States. England and the U.K. seem keen to have their health care system be dispensing vaping to get smokers to quit big tobacco products. I do not know even estimated figures for there.

I question, if there is 27 billion in only the United States is that not enough incentive to provide motive for collusion, conspiracy & R.I.C.O? The governmental agencies are nothing if not an organized system. When such a system is used in criminal endeavors is it not organized crime?

At any rate, now you can see what Big Tobacco is fighting to hold on. I'm not too bright but it seems to me that when I try taking away a rawhide from dog's they fight against me, $27 billion buys a lot of rawhides. This is per year. Now, let us think in terms of 5 years. My calculator does the weird error bit. Let me do rough estimate though, 20 billion a year times 5 years is 100 billion, that is 1/10th of 1 trillion.

I'll toss out another estimate here to show some difference. If I recall correctly, it would cost me about $35 per year to get the ingredients, mix up a simple 1.8mg/mL nicotine juice of half PG & half VG. Compare $35 to our graceful figure of $1,500 annually for big tobacco. Let me say I may spend $70 a year on hardware. That is still only $105 a year. It is spent on something that is proving out to work for a majority of smokers, is less risky than drugs, gums, patches, cigarettes. Word after word vapers are in some cases literally singing praises of how vaping has saved their lives, or lives of loved ones.

I have strong doubt be any prohibition.

No, no small group of motivated, people ever did a thing at all. Forget that America was founded by any such group. Forget any such group allegedly went to the moon & back.

We vapers are apparently being a rather large fly in someone's ointment lest there would not be such a torrent of force set to oppose us.

Last edited:
Reactions: rwoodin

nomore stinkies

Gee, Who did that?
ECF Veteran
Feb 23, 2014
IL
They are already coming after vapers. They were coming after us before the deeming's ink was dry. They won't lose a dime - in time. They are trying to crush us like a cigarette .... and if they can't they'll tax the hell out of us. Our lovely Mayor of Chicago taxed e-cigs at the same rate as cigarettes. ARGH

Qew

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 5, 2012
Michigan
I saw a video from a vape meet in Ohio yesterday on FB. Dimitris announced a lawsuit being filed this coming week and Larry Faircloth announced that his has been filed. It was late and I didn't get details and so far today I haven't found more info. I know there has to be some official announcement somewhere, but I'm probably not looking in the right place. Anyone have the scoop?

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
I read the entire complaint filing but one thing struck me as odd:

In the Introduction, item 3, they state "E-liquids contain nicotine derived from nontobacco (sic) sources."

That really throws a credibility wrench into what is otherwise a very well laid out complaint filing. Where do they think they are going to go with that one? To date I am not aware of eggplant, tomato or synthetic based nicotine being readily available in the market.

nclobo

ECF Veteran
Jan 21, 2012
Durham, NC

In the Introduction, item 3, they state "E-liquids contain nicotine derived from nontobacco (sic) sources."

That really throws a credibility wrench into what is otherwise a very well laid out complaint filing. Where do they think they are going to go with that one? To date I am not aware of eggplant, tomato or synthetic based nicotine being readily available in the market.
That got me too. A definitive statement like that will not go over well. Synthetic nic is available, but highly cost prohibitive (a few grand a litre) ..

Reactions: Katya

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

Kinda scratching my head on that one Also.

Perhaps they are trying to Establish that Nicotine is not a "Derived" product of Tobacco?

Reactions: Katya

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Perhaps they are trying to Establish that Nicotine is not a "Derived" product of Tobacco?

proxy.php

Huh?

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Like I said, kinda confused myself.

:blink:

I really want to support this guy, and CASAA supports him, but I have my doubts. I signed, but I didn't donate yet. His website is also strange--why can't we see how many signatures he's gathered to date?

*sigh*

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I really want to support this guy, and CASAA supports him, but I have my doubts. I signed, but I didn't donate yet. His website is also strange--why can't we see how many signatures he's gathered to date?

*sigh*

I think he is on the Right Path. And that Path is the one I want to Trod.

And after Reading the Complaint for a 2nd Time, I think it is pretty Solid with the Exception of that One Line.

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
I think he is on the Right Path. And that Path is the one I want to Trod.

And after Reading the Complaint for a 2nd Time, I think it is pretty Solid with the Exception of that One Line.

Should we send him another email and ask what exactly he meant by that "one line"?

I believe that this is Mr. Faircloth's contact page.

West Virginia House of Delegates

I sent him a Brief e-Mail and said that I appreciated his Efforts in all this.

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
Should we send him another email and ask what exactly he meant by that "one line"?

Yes! I'm curious to know if that was a mistake - that can be readily corrected - or if there is some argument we are not aware of going on here.

Regardless of this one question, as zoiD said and I agree - great arguments in the complaint.

OldBatty

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 28, 2014
North Georgia USA
Synthetic nic is available, but highly cost prohibitive (a few grand a litre)

Could easily become a bargain if tobacco derived nic had $4,000 tax per liter on it and other sources were exempt. Even more so if you are referring to something stronger than 100mg / ml (10% )?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread