WV targets dissolvables

Status
Not open for further replies.
True story: I was a hooked addict by the time I entered college. Smoking was forbidden in all classrooms except journalism and art. Smoking was traditional for journalists on deadline. Art rooms had tall ceilings with open windows.

In my sophomore year, I changed my major to journalism and minor to art. Graduated a happy camper and spent 45 years as a reporter/editor for some major newspapers. :)

Wow Bob, I have career envy! :lol: Although I love what I do and go to work each day with a smile on my face, I feel at times that I've missed out on the exciting real world of day to day events and interactions with adults. Your career must have taken you and involved you in places and things that I probably couldn't even imagine. :cool:

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
The Camels are so new that I haven't seen any real studies on them yet; Swedisn snus have been studied many times over the past century. The Camels should be very low risk. But in Sweden, snus must be made to very high "food" standards. Not so in the U.S. for RJR.

Risk is usually related to the levels of TSNAs in a product. The snus products are vastly lower in TSNAs than dip or chewing tobacco. On the order of hundreds and thousands of times lower. The dissolvables are the lowest, safest, of all from a TSNA standpoint.

smokingclam

ECF Veteran
Feb 6, 2009
Punta Gorda, Florida
The Camels are so new that I haven't seen any real studies on them yet; Swedisn snus have been studied many times over the past century. The Camels should be very low risk. But in Sweden, snus must be made to very high "food" standards. Not so in the U.S. for RJR.

Risk is usually related to the levels of TSNAs in a product. The snus products are vastly lower in TSNAs than dip or chewing tobacco. On the order of hundreds and thousands of times lower. The dissolvables are the lowest, safest, of all from a TSNA standpoint.
Bob I've had retailers tell me the Camel Snus is actually made in Sweden. Is this not true and is made in the USA?

Mohave

ECF Veteran
Do you, or does anyone, have any idea of the shelf life and proper long-term storage of dissolvables?

I ask because I've laid in a semi-ginormous stash of them. I found some in a local retail outlet that is planning to shut down for a major remodel, and is paring down its inventory. I happened to buy a pack of Stonewall there and it rang up at $0.98. Was that a mistake? No, we are liquidating our stock. Um, I'll take them all. All? Do you mean the ones in back too? Yup, gimmie them all. Every last one of the puppies on the premises.

Since the crusade against anything that I might possibly enjoy has made me nervous of late, it seems prudent to me to go ahead and stock up like that when the getting is good. But I have absolutely no idea how well they can be kept, or under what conditions.

Mohave

ECF Veteran
I've answered half of my own question. I went over the packaging with a magnifying glass and found nothing that might be an expiration date. Then after posting the question here I found this on the website Ariva and Stonewall Official Site | Dissovable Tobacco | Smoke Free Tobacco:
Does dissolvable tobacco have an expiration date?

Unlike cigarettes or smokeless tobacco products that only stay fresh for weeks, Arriva and Stonewall are made from dry powdered tobacco as a result they have a much longer shelf life (more than a year). They are also packaged with high grade materials that significantly prevents [sic] moisture and oxygen exposure to our dissovable tobacco pieces.
Still not sure if there would be any advantage to refrigerating it, but unless I learn something new I probably won't do that.

Last edited:

tescela

ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2009
Wow Bob, I have career envy! :lol: Although I love what I do and go to work each day with a smile on my face, I feel at times that I've missed out on the exciting real world of day to day events and interactions with adults. Your career must have taken you and involved you in places and things that I probably couldn't even imagine. :cool:

I just love that we have a community here of people that enjoy nicotine products and are earnestly pursuing lower-risk *EFFECTIVE* alternatives to analog cigarettes. Let's face it: as usual, government and corporations don't offer solutions. Instead, they create obstacles to progress. So, it is up to individuals and small businesses to work together to create better alternatives.

I just wish this group was online 10 years ago.

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
Mohave, you lucky rat. Ninety-eight cents? OMG. They're like $4 retail. I buy a carton of five packs every week. And they are sealed so well that I don't see them deteriorating over the years. Pipe tobacco stays good virtually forever! Just bring some humidity back to it, and it's good to go.

Of all the things I do to stay off cigarettes, I'd venture to say the Java Stonewall is my single most important item. If the FDA bans flavors, I'm in deep doo-doo (he writes as a Stonewall finishes dissolving in his mouth).

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
That should do you.

Been saying for years that if I won the Lottery, I'd buy huge quantities of the tobacco products that I use. Years ago, I said this when a carton of my premium cigarettes was $12. Today, it's $40 and going up. Pipe tobacco is set to double in cost.

And these Stonewall Java babies are on the line, because they are flavored. I'd buy boxes the size that store refrigerators for transport if I had the cash.

P.S. A lot of pipe smokers are buying a lifetime supply of pipe tobacco. It doesn't go "bad" and they're stocking up.

Mohave

ECF Veteran
I think you're right about flavorings probably making Stonewall vulnerable in the future. It isn't something I use regularly, but I do like having it around as an option. My half decade stash of that would probably last you 'till Tuesday.
Pipe tobacco is set to double in cost...

<SNIP>

P.S. A lot of pipe smokers are buying a lifetime supply of pipe tobacco. It doesn't go "bad" and they're stocking up.
Is that a Florida issue, or is there something already on the books nationally right now besides the recent S-CHIP tax? To my surprise I have started becoming a regular pipe smoker, and I thought they might be less of a target, and possibly escape some problems.

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
I'm a REAL regular pipe smoker - daily, with a large stash of tobacco.

The fear is general paranoia among an elite group of smokers (I've never read a more articulate, intelligent group than those found on pipe forums). They fear several things coming to pass: Insurance forcing out online sales; credit card companies denying payments for all tobacco products sold online; and a ban on all delivery, postal or otherwise, of all tobacco products to residences.

So it's not just tax and inflation that is their issue. There are many who see a clamping down on tobacco that will shut off supplies of anything not found in your local drugstore. Real? I don't know, but I'm stocking as I did with e-liquid. Pipes are pure pleasure to me. I'm steady at four a day.

P.S. Doubling price via tax is a Florida issue. The wholesale gets a 25 percent tobacco tax, then that total gets a 60-70% tax per ounce of retail. It's roughly $1 an ounce in tax!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread