XC-116 (Nextel 330) Heat Treatment Experiment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rick.45cal

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 14, 2011
Lakeland Florida
I haven't tried it yet dream, I will try it when this piece of hardened ceramic finally gives up :) I might have mussed it up rebuilding it this time so probably the next rebuild.

As far as dremels, it's been at least 9 years since I looked at them. Mine is one of the "nicer" sets back then, There shouldn't be a reason why the cheapest one wouldn't work. Just run it on it's highest rpm setting. ;)

Valsacar

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 16, 2010
Seoul
I have some in here right now, non-heat treated (just the coating removed). First one was OK, decided to try again (ohms a little higher than I wanted). Second one has had an almost dry hit taste the whole time (been over an hour since I filled it). Some flavor is there, but very muted. Right now I have the cone barely on, though I can easily screw it all the way down (managed to fit the wick in the slots).

fright88

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 21, 2011
Loveland CO
I have some in here right now, non-heat treated (just the coating removed). First one was OK, decided to try again (ohms a little higher than I wanted). Second one has had an almost dry hit taste the whole time (been over an hour since I filled it). Some flavor is there, but very muted. Right now I have the cone barely on, though I can easily screw it all the way down (managed to fit the wick in the slots).

Can you explain non heat treated just the coating removed? The coating is what has to be burnt off.

I am having a love hate relationship with the Nextel. I don't have a diamond bit to modify the ceramic yet. The 2 places I went didn't have any in stock. And I also have a hard time fitting it in the plastics and am concerned with the cone cutting into the wick. On the other hand it wicks almost to well. Now for a time test to see how much longer it lasts for me.

Valsacar

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 16, 2010
Seoul
Can you explain non heat treated just the coating removed? The coating is what has to be burnt off.

I am having a love hate relationship with the Nextel. I don't have a diamond bit to modify the ceramic yet. The 2 places I went didn't have any in stock. And I also have a hard time fitting it in the plastics and am concerned with the cone cutting into the wick. On the other hand it wicks almost to well. Now for a time test to see how much longer it lasts for me.

Very simply, it's been heat cleaned, not heat treated. Did you actually read the OP, or the last thread about this wick?

fright88

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 21, 2011
Loveland CO
I have 10' of this coming in tomorrow, I really hope it performs well. As the wick I have right now doesn't taste right and doesn't wick to well.

It wicks extremely well I was very hesitant at first. Even with fraying and bad fittment I never have a dry hit. To bad we can't get it in slightly smaller diameter.

misterD

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 27, 2009
worster - crappychusetts
i'm gonna get a torch tomorrow. i have the nextel wick soaking in everclear right now.
would one like this do the job?
image_945.jpg

Para

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 15, 2010
Texas
From what I read in the iAtty sticky thread is that the wick should be unbraided, torched, coiled and then rebraided, which should get it to fit in the ceramic cap. Has anyone have any success with this method?

I'm not unbraiding and rebraiding anything; that's a PITA. I mod the ceramic cup to hold it like it is. Torch it, coil it, vape it

JonahNM

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Mar 19, 2011
New Mexico
www.vapor-age.com
I'm not unbraiding and rebraiding anything; that's a PITA. I mod the ceramic cup to hold it like it is. Torch it, coil it, vape it

I am with you on that Para. Mod the ceramic cup to hold it like it is. Torch it, coil it, vape it the best instructions for the Nextel.

xvx

Aug 3, 2011
Red Bank, NJ
I don't have a dremel, so modifying the cup isn't an option for me at the moment.

What I did do though is use a torch and torched the ends, then used a pin and nail clippers to remove two of the thick strands from the wick. That made it fit right into the cup and into the channels. Vapes likes crazy and its a nice clean taste. Loving it so far.

Poppa D

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 7, 2010
Minnesota, USA
From what I read in the iAtty sticky thread is that the wick should be unbraided, torched, coiled and then rebraided, which should get it to fit in the ceramic cap. Has anyone have any success with this method?

I unbraided it, torched it, coiled it. You dont have to rebraid it again, just twist it so its not so wispy, making ito easier to place in the wick slots.
Its very fine and brittle stuff. If you handle it dry you will see the particle's floating off of it, whether its been torched or not. Braided or unbraided it sheds.

It is by far the best wick I have used for taste and taking the heat. But Im concerned about those fine floating particles.

Sorry if this statement offends anyone.

Para

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 15, 2010
Texas
I don't have a dremel, so modifying the cup isn't an option for me at the moment.

What I did do though is use a torch and torched the ends, then used a pin and nail clippers to remove two of the thick strands from the wick. That made it fit right into the cup and into the channels. Vapes likes crazy and its a nice clean taste. Loving it so far.

When you get ready to Dremel.....Harbor Freight, or another discount tool company, has a rotary tool for a few bucks and I get my dentist to give me his old dental burrs. After they get to the point he can't use them anymore, they are perfect for modding work.. You can be "Dremeled" for less than 20 bucks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread