XC-116 (Nextel 330) Heat Treatment Experiment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rick.45cal

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 14, 2011
Lakeland Florida
Modding the cup using the diamond point bit that I referenced earlier in this thread, makes it easy to modify the plastic piece as well. IF you widen the channel to the same diameter as the bit, It wicks much better. As Zoranth said "It vapes like a locomotive"

Poppa D, I haven't noticed the fine particulates that you describe, I will keep my eyes out in the future though. With regard to the material, their MSDS sheet lists the finest particulates being 3-7 microns. (Too big to get into you alveoli) With respect to their findings where they were actually introducing particles into a lab rats lungs (bypassing the upper respiratory tract, which is efficient at removing all but <1 micron particles) it didn't cause the same problems that other silica products did (like fiberglass). The facts are there, it isn't good to breathe any of this stuff we use for wicks. Largely this one is very inert compared to others I have researched.

Last edited:

Poppa D

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 7, 2010
Minnesota, USA
Yeah, if you take a piece that's been heat treated and hold it up to the light and snap it taught. You'll see these particulates. Not worried about it enough to stop using it. Also I don't think these particulates are going to make it to the lungs as long as the wick stays wet.

If its in your liquid, it will get in your lungs.

I saw it in sunny daylight to, and its abundant.

cazmo

Jul 9, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
If its in your liquid, it will get in your lungs.

I saw it in sunny daylight to, and its abundant.

My line of thinking is if the particulates are wet it would not become airborne, and since it's a solid it wouldn't be turned into vapor. Curious, did you see this on a wet or dry wick? When I get home later tonight, gonna see if I can see these on a wet wick.

Para

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 15, 2010
Texas
Maybe sometime.
For the moment the 116 has the best all around properties and it produces vapor like a rock show.

The things I've commented on are things that I've become aware of and they should be known by anyone.

I agree 100%.

After vaping for a good while I'll take off the filter I have on my Iatty mouthpiece and examine under magnification. Then, I won't have to speculate about inhaling particulates; I'll have facts.

Last edited:

dspin

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 2, 2010
USA
Jeez Bruce, I wish I had known you were going to sell this too. Would have bought it from you.

This is good stuff!
I just rebuilt my coil with the .999 pure silver wire. Works great and is easy to work with.
I have the silver wire in stock now at COV if you want to try it too.

Poppa D

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 7, 2010
Minnesota, USA
I agree 100%.

After vaping for a good while I'll take off the filter I have on my Iatty mouthpiece and examine under magnification. Then, I won't have to speculate about inhaling particulates; I'll have facts.

Para,
Do you use a filter? That is a great comment.
After reading it, I realized that a piece of cart filler in the tip would make a filter/barrier that would reduce my concerns about inhaling airborne particles.
Thanks Para!

Para

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 15, 2010
Texas
Para,
Do you use a filter? That is a great comment.
After reading it, I realized that a piece of cart filler in the tip would make a filter/barrier that would reduce my concerns about inhaling airborne particles.
Thanks Para!

I made a filter from a piece of 400 SS mesh because I want to catch anything of size that might be ingested. A cart filter would certainly work and won't affect the draw like the mesh does. It's HARD to vape with that much of an obstruction. lol

Cut a piece; put it in the top and screw on the mouthpiece.

Rick.45cal

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 14, 2011
Lakeland Florida
ZuTma, I've tried the ss mesh. I've tried it several different ways. I've even tried a hybird with XC 116 around the ss with the coil wrapped around it. I personally don't like it. The throat hit is WAY strong at HV. It's an attractive option, and something I will mess with in the future, in hopes to find a way to make it more to my liking. For me the XC 116 just blows everything else away performance wise. IMHO. The vape is super consistent, tons of vapor (almost to the point that it's embarassing in public) and it tastes better. iAtty is great in that everyone can find a happy vape with whatever they want to try :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread