Status
Not open for further replies.

tnt56

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 30, 2012
Tripple digits half way to home
I'm using a star WP2 ii for charging my IMR 18350 batteries. I use additional spacers to do this. (GotVapes listed that in their discription of the charger). Everything is working just fine. I always use the 0.5 amp setting. I'm thinking about another APV and it uses IMR 18490 batteries. I've looked everywhere I can think of and can't find any mention that the xtar will charge these. Does anyone have any idea or should I spring for a different charger when I get ready for the new apv?

Switched

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2010
Dartmouth, NS Canada
yes, you are right, i saw that recomendation somewhere (and many 18500 are 1500mAh, so its the same as charging 18350/750mAh by 0.5A)
dont want to argue, but if someone wants to care about his bateries correctly, will not buy that kind of charger, althought this one is pretty good for the money
The only 18500 I know of are IMRs or LiMn and the more accurate rating is 1100mAh, 1500mAh is grossly inflated. Therefore not a direct comparison.

WillyB

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2009
USA
... I always use the 0.5 amp setting. I'm thinking about another APV and it uses IMR 18490 batteries. I've looked everywhere I can think of and can't find any mention that the xtar will charge these.
You will be able to charge them full tilt. True IMRs can handle it.

From Andy Wan's 'office'.

IMR16340 Specifications :

Nominal Voltage : 3.7V
Capacity : 550mAH
Lowest Discharge Voltage : 2.50V
Standard Charge : CC/CV ( max. charging rate 1.5A )

IMR14500 Specifications :

Capacity : 600mAH
Standard Charge : CC/CV ( max. charging rate 1.5A )

IMR18350 Specifications :

Capacity : 700mAH
Standard Charge : CC/CV ( max. charging rate 2A )

IMR18490 Specifications :

Capacity : 1100mAH
Standard Charge : CC/CV ( max. charging rate 3A )
You'll note that at it's higher charge setting, even with the smallest IMR16340 you are at only 67% of the max rate.

Switched

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2010
Dartmouth, NS Canada
You will be able to charge them full tilt. True IMRs can handle it.

From Andy Wan's 'office'.

You'll note that at it's higher charge setting, even with the smallest IMR16340 you are at only 67% of the max rate.

As you know Willy I only run AWs and the 18500s do not like the 1A setting for some reason. Mind you I charge them on the SP2.

Switched

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2010
Dartmouth, NS Canada
Pair or single wouldn't matter in the WP2/SP2 chargers; Independent channels. 2 hours would be about right for that current and capacity.
On a completely depleted battery perhaps, but not if the individual quit when the battery started to wane at 3.5V or even allowed it to go to an anemic vape at 3.2.

I have used the gamut of XTars and they may have independent channels for monitoring but on "X setting" "X" is divided by the amount of cells being charged. e.g charging 2 batts at 1A = 500mAh per cell. Once one cell is charged, the remaining current will go to the cell still requiring a charge and, albeit 1A is available, the charger will deliver the optimum to the cell and that optimum may not necessarily be 1A depending on the charge state of the battery.

WRT the WP2, the right channel is a trickle between being charged at the full 500mA or a factor thereof. IOW charge curent varies between channels with the left channel being the main charge channel, during the charge cycle.

On the WP6 although the charger has 6 bays, it is constructed of 3 x WP2 pairs with each left channel of the pair being the main charging channel. IOW to take full advantage of the chargers charging capability when charging lets say 2 x 18650, you would place your batteries in bay 1 &3 and skip bay#2. The 2A charging current is fixed and divided between the cells being charged. That is my experience with these chargers.

Rader2146

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 11, 2012
Waco, TX
The WP2 and SP2 have two completely independent channels. Charging current is not divided between the channels. The WP6 is a bit more complex in the way that is handles 3 paired channels. If there are 2 batteries in the same channel, It doubles the charge current and then switches between cells on a 50% cycle.

Links to some very detailed tests:
Review of Charger Xtar SP2
Review of Charger Xtar WP2 II
Review of Charger Xtar WP6 II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread