XTar WP2 problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gunner83

ECF Veteran
Oct 31, 2012
US
I have an xtar WP2. When you plug in the charger, the lights are green and then when you insert a batt that needs charging, it turns red while it charges and then green when its done.

Now, it stays green and never indicates that its charging with a battery in place, even though I know they are dead or near dead. It happens in both bays and Ive tried with 6 different batteries.

Contacts are clean.

Any ideas? I dont have a meter to measure voltage. Maybe I should pick one up.

mightymen

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • Nov 22, 2012
    No you can't
    I have an XTar WP2. When you plug in the charger, the lights are green and then when you insert a batt that needs charging, it turns red while it charges and then green when its done.

Now, it stays green and never indicates that its charging with a battery in place, even though I know they are dead or near dead. It happens in both bays and Ive tried with 6 different batteries.

Contacts are clean.

Any ideas? I dont have a meter to measure voltage. Maybe I should pick one up.

I get this problem with my Xtar WP2 and flat top batteries. I place a dime in between the front of the battery and charger light turns red.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 31, 2012
    Ontario, Canada
    I've never had this happen with mine using 18650 batteries. As mightymen indicated, it may be the battery not making good contact. One way to check contact without using a dime is to put the charge rate switch to zero and put a cell in the right bay, on the side the wall plug is. Don't plug in the wall plug. The light for that bay will turn red. If you're using short batteries, screw in spacers are recommended.

And yes, get a DMM :). I would be lost without one.

Gunner83

ECF Veteran
    Oct 31, 2012
    US
    This is what happened to mine in a wp2.

Check your voltage on the battery with a multimeter. If it is below around 2V the charger will not kick into charge mode and turn red.

If you leave it in the charger, it will trickle charge to the correct voltage and kick on.

It wasn't that. None of the batteries I tried were that discharged.

I ended up picking up a new charger, and gave the WP2 to a neighbor who likes to tinker with stuff.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread