Yay chest freezer!

Status
Not open for further replies.

gcvt

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 11, 2012
Las Vegas
Finally! Best buy had a 5 cu. ft. chest freezer on sale for $100...$70 off. Their website lied to me so it wasn't in stock but we went and picked it up today after taking avatar puppy to the beach to play ball :) Probably should have gone with the 3.5 cu. ft. but the 5.0 was the one on sale.

I really need to buy more nic and wrap the current bottles in bubble wrap...and cook those Bratwurst before the freezer burn gets worse! Anyone got half a cow for sale?! :D

Holding steady at 0°

IMG_6520.jpg

Last edited:

mostlyclassics

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Excellent buy, gcvt!

Once you have the nic out of the food freezer, you can put your meats further toward the bottom, closer to "stasis."

I've found there's quite a difference in temperatures in some chest freezers. For instance, my 7 sq. ft. ranges from around 0 degrees F. at the top to -15 degrees at the bottom.

Of course, YMMV.

ENAUD

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2013
Bordertown of ProVariland and REOville
Finally! Best Buy had a 5 cu. ft. chest freezer on sale for $100...$70 off. Their website lied to me so it wasn't in stock but we went and picked it up today after taking avatar puppy to the beach to play ball :) Probably should have gone with the 3.5 cu. ft. but the 5.0 was the one on sale.

I really need to buy more nic and wrap the current bottles in bubble wrap...and cook those Bratwurst before the freezer burn gets worse! Anyone got half a cow for sale?! :D

Holding steady at 0°

View attachment 703821

Nice freezer! I've got the same one, and my nic is all bubble wrapped, and double bagged in zip locks, and stashed in stackable tubs. Still got room to keep some meat and GF breads up top :) the extra room can come in handy.

gcvt

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 11, 2012
Las Vegas
Ha! that's a big un. I bought a small one myself when it went on sale at homecheapo. Great investment all the way around for me as I love the extra freezer room my nicotine safe affords.

A little bigger than we'd like since we're renters and have to keep it in the apartment as opposed to the garage. Oh well...first world problems I guess!

After 5 years, will look like:

08FZdjgAH_QR8nng4eN03UynnZl6RQbDlgIqSqJcXOJknz5BtyORq71arHFXPlvVxdalr37e-bcasZ8=w1919-h961-rw

IMAG1013.jpg

I hope so! Mmm crab. I need to get over to Costco and give them a lot of my money.

Excellent buy, gcvt!

Once you have the nic out of the food freezer, you can put your meats further toward the bottom, closer to "stasis."

I've found there's quite a difference in temperatures in some chest freezers. For instance, my 7 sq. ft. ranges from around 0 degrees F. at the top to -15 degrees at the bottom.

Of course, YMMV.

Thank you for letting me know that. I'll move my thermometer around and see what type of readings I get. With it hanging on the rack, it's probably too high up in the freezer.

I have the same one - even have my nic in the very same spot. Never told my wife the REAL reason we finally got the chest freezer she wanted...but now everybody's happy. :)

The GF is absolutely thrilled the nic is out of our regular freezer - plenty of room for her ice cream now haha.

Your puppy is adorable! :wub:

Thank you. We can't argue with you on that ;)

Nice freezer! I've got the same one, and my nic is all bubble wrapped, and double bagged in zip locks, and stashed in stackable tubs. Still got room to keep some meat and GF breads up top :) the extra room can come in handy.

I really need to get some stackable plastic bins! I'd like to have everything in bins so it's easy and quick to get something from the bottom etc. I started looking for bins online last night and it's hard to find ones that are just the right size so as not to waste any space.

ENAUD

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2013
Bordertown of ProVariland and REOville
A little bigger than we'd like since we're renters and have to keep it in the apartment as opposed to the garage. Oh well...first world problems I guess!

I hope so! Mmm crab. I need to get over to Costco and give them a lot of my money.

Thank you for letting me know that. I'll move my thermometer around and see what type of readings I get. With it hanging on the rack, it's probably too high up in the freezer.

The GF is absolutely thrilled the nic is out of our regular freezer - plenty of room for her ice cream now haha.

Thank you. We can't argue with you on that ;)

I really need to get some stackable plastic bins! I'd like to have everything in bins so it's easy and quick to get something from the bottom etc. I started looking for bins online last night and it's hard to find ones that are just the right size so as not to waste any space.
We moved into a much smaller place a year ago, it used to be in the garage. Now we are in a one floor house with no garage, it sits in a corner, and we took a small quilt, and folded it in a decorative fashion and pinned the folds in place. Kind of dresses it up a bit, and also there are two cutting boards stacked on the lid, all that sort of camouflages the thing and makes it less of an eyesore...

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
I have freezer envy!

For cheap bins; check your local Dollar stores, Big Lots, and even local craft stores (like Hobby Lobby, Michaels, and JoAnn Fabrics). They all usually carry very inexpensive options... and you get the benefit of seeing actual shapes, and sizes before buying. If you have extra empty transfer bottles, you can even bring a few with you to see how they are going to fit.:)

gcvt

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 11, 2012
Las Vegas
I have freezer envy!

For cheap bins; check your local Dollar stores, Big Lots, and even local craft stores (like Hobby Lobby, Michaels, and JoAnn Fabrics). They all usually carry very inexpensive options... and you get the benefit of seeing actual shapes, and sizes before buying. If you have extra empty transfer bottles, you can even bring a few with you to see how they are going to fit.:)

Ooh, dollar store (etc.) is a great idea! I took very detailed interior measurements last night so I know the sizes I need...just need to find them.

gcvt

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 11, 2012
Las Vegas
Excellent buy, gcvt!

Of course, YMMV.

Good news. I moved the thermometer down to the bottom of the freezer and left it there for an hour. Looks like the bottom is only ~2° cooler than up top.

Now I just need a thermometer with an alarm that alerts me if the freezer goes above 10°F.

Last edited:

mostlyclassics

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
We moved into a much smaller place a year ago, it used to be in the garage. Now we are in a one floor house with no garage, it sits in a corner, and we took a small quilt, and folded it in a decorative fashion and pinned the folds in place. Kind of dresses it up a bit, and also there are two cutting boards stacked on the lid, all that sort of camouflages the thing and makes it less of an eyesore...

What a great idea, ENAUD! A freezer-cozy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread