• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Yet another newbie!

Status
Not open for further replies.

raaanir

Verified Member
Apr 25, 2012
Singapore
Hi guys!

I'm here after graduating from the new members forums! Decided to give e cigs a try after seeing someone in public (but discreetly) smoking a PV and asked him about it. Found my way here after hours of internet searching.

I've done quite a bit of research online and on this forum (and gotten some of my questions answered on the new members forum), but i do still have a few questions left:

I'm planning to get a DCT (a 3ml one to start with and upgrade to a 6ml one), and maybe a single coil carto (to try the difference) with a drip tip and a battery.

1. What kind of battery should i get? I understand that Dual coils require pretty high voltages so most LI-ON batteries are out of the question. Professional VVs like the ProVari and LavaTube are too huge/thick for my tastes and are pretty expensive and hard to get here in SG. Boxmod types seem to be cheaper (will customs stop these if i ship them from online websites?) but stranger looking. The local websites i've found (again from lurking in this forum) either sell expensive PV kits or don't sell batteries. :\

2. I would be trying out different juices and nicotine flavours. A member on the new member forums told me it would be better to just use single atomizers or smaller cartos for this. I plan to buy 3ml DCTs and wash them. Is that a good idea? Inhaling water vapour (if i don't dry them right) could be potentially hazardous right?

3. Just curious, from you guys' experience, how often does a PV leak juice? Is it very difficult to transport?

Thanks for you time guys!

raaanir

Verified Member
Apr 25, 2012
Singapore
Oh yes, i have another question, although i know this one is quite hard to answer as it is based largely on personal preference and habits:

What strength juice would you recommend for a red smoker than smokes half - one pack a day? I could really use a rough figure as juices from local websites i've found range from strength 0 to 36 (woah?!)mg. That's alot of trial and error! One website max-ed out at 18. So i'm guessing i should be trying the 18 - 36 range? Still i pretty big range.

Iruel

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 7, 2012
Atlantis
Hmmm... you know, I had the same idea and gotten myself a lil mama tank, however, I actually change flavors a couple of times a day. So what I do is this.

For trial flavors, I use a cheaper and easier to clean set up like ego-t.

My daily vape will be in a tank but mostly for home use only.

I pre-fill my faves in cartos and use the rubber caps to prevent leaks.

I don't like the airy draw from DCT, so honestly, I will say its very personal and suggest that you trial and error or see if anyone is convenient to meet up and let you try out their set up.

LR cartos are quite airy when being drawn as well, but better than DCT imo.

I will say 18mg is quite a sweet spot.

Though I treasure the flavor more than the Nic content and will try out even 6-12mg.

If you like high nic content, try to source or the nic juice yourself and mix it into your juices.

raaanir

Verified Member
Apr 25, 2012
Singapore
Thanks Barbosa and Iruel! I will definitely give 18mg a try. Sounds like a very recommended dosage.

Iruel, what do you mean by airy draw? Empty output with no taste/nicotine? From what i read (which can't be compared to actual experience of course..) DCTs should be giving warm thick smoke at high voltages. But then again, i've never owned a set, so i should probably give a few set ups a try...

By LR cartos you mean single coils right?

Last but not least, it is possible to purchase juices (without nic)? I've seen sites selling nicotine but not the juices/flavourings. And even then, i have no idea what percentage of nic and juices to mix. 50/50?

Thanks for the answers guys :D

Stinson

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Oct 17, 2011
Awesome
LR doesn't mean single coil,it means,the Ohm.
Like let say this single coil/dual coil is 1.5ohm it mean LR-low resistance
If this single coil/dual coil go to 2-2.5ohm it is SR-standard resistance
If this single coil/dual coil go 3ohm and up it is HR-High resistance.

And you can diy your own 0mg juice but i thinks it's too early but who knows,it may be just easy for you.

kiozuml7

Verified Member
Apr 19, 2012
singapore
izuml7.deviantart.com
if u really wanna get a DCT u will needa invest in ur PV. Currently im using a lavatube which really cant get the flavour out of my juice using a DCT. it still taste better in my boge 510 Lr XXL, its a single coil . rmb if u wanna get a tank buy XXL other than that its to short. unless u wanna saw the tank like wad i did =.=. I also have a 510-T its a smaller batt, looks like a cig. I tried it with my tanks and compare to the lavatube it cant really bring out the flavour. My suggestion is try to use a V.V (variable voltage) type PV as u can change the voltage according to the type of juice u use. For me i use ard 3.7-3.9 for my fruit flavours any higher sometimes there is a burnt taste even when my carto is wet. 4.2 and above for tobacco juice as it taste nice then when the voltage is low like 3.7. if u wan a more portable V.V there is a few Echo type batt from HC but i dunno if its good nvr try before, u can change the volt from 3.2v , 3.7v, 4.2v. Lavatube is a tad better coz u can change volts by 0.1 from 3.0v-6.0v n it really last me for almost a day, but the voltage doesnt stay the same as ur batt drop. so u might have to up the volt when ur batt is dying. Provari V2 is still better then those 2 as it can be use with DCT and the voltage stays the same even when ur batt is dying. As for those box mod it sure is cheaper but... haha i saw my friend box mod and i swear that if i do not know wad it is i will think that its a bomb detonator. I learnt the above from a fellow senior ( the one that own the box mod :/ ) he really help me alot. so i hope i can do the same for others. im still a newbie, hope my info helps. Seniors pls correct me if im wrong.

raaanir

Verified Member
Apr 25, 2012
Singapore
Thanks Shengjie (again)! I feel more enlightened in minutes than i have in hours of reading online. :D

Kiozumi7, I see. Looks like i really need to invest a big sum of money just to try DCTs, especially with how (rare) and costly Provari and Lavatube is. (to a newbie anyway). Unless i go boxmod. I do agree tho, it doesn't look half as nice as a proper e-cig and it does look like a bomb detonator! Hahaha. Probably not a good idea to bring it around. Thanks a lot for the info ^^

raaanir

Verified Member
Apr 25, 2012
Singapore
Oh. And a boge is a specific carto from a company/type of carto right? I did a quick scan of the local websites that i know of and i can't seem to find it on them. I only see things like DCT, DCT replacements and CE4 plus/stardust. It does sound like a must-try for a newbie like me. It runs LR means i have to run pretty high voltage for it as well right?

Stinson

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Oct 17, 2011
Awesome
Let take the end result of the vapor as power and the max is 10.
By using a low resistance,you can use 3.7volt and get the max power 10 or near it easily
but by using a standard resistance on 3.7volt you can only get like let say,6-8power.
So if you are aiming for high voltage like say 5volt,on LR,you will over power and burnt your carto and you have to replace a new one.So on 5volt you have to use standard or even high resistance to let you not overpower.

raaanir

Verified Member
Apr 25, 2012
Singapore
kiozumi7: hehe yeah i know what you mean! That's why i didn't consider boxmod at all until i realise that i didn't really know what i wanted. It would be better to start off with cheaper options in the case that i end up trashing them for something else. The power chart is pretty useful! Thanks for that!

Shengjie: I see i see. So normal LR cartos will work on 3.7V batteries. I'm assuming that dual coil means double the resistance even with LR, that's why a high voltage is required (like 5V).

You guys have been really friendly and informative. I'm really appreciative of that *thumbs up*

sixfiend

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 19, 2012
Christmas Island
yo the boxmod looks like a piece of *#@^& but it works great. if you want a VV and don't mind looking like a freak go for it. best move i done was to skip the eGo step and went box mod. well you can find used LTs on the classifieds once in a awhile but... i think you need you get your posts up a little.

i bought a LT while waiting for my box mod and it was also a great buy, but when my box mod came, i decided to part with my LT. one thing to note is the box of the box mod is its weakest point, its not exactly very durable but hey it works! and its cheap too. i've been vaping around with it and seriously getting some weird stares lol. will be more cautious when i go out.

smoktech vmax is a mod you might want to consider. its a china provari copy and won't set you back too much. wait for some reviews tho cause it is a new PV.

1. a used LT or a box mod is a great start. get the box mod if you don't mind its looks and just want a good vaping experience.

2. just stick to cartos for a start, a 3ml tank works fine too, 6ml is you seriously like a juice. anyway i tend to use 1 carto for 1 flavor cause i don't like mixing.

3. i have used pre-filled cartos with no leaks. i also used a cheap china tank, put it in my bag, no leaks.

4. i used to smoke roll your owns aka ang hoon and 18mg nic was too high for me.i went down to 12mg and it provided me a decent kick. 6mg to me is for chain vaping (will use up alot of juice) i believe my sweet spot is 9mg. so it doesn't matter if you smoke a pack a day of reds cause even for ang hoon, no filter smoker here, i also can't take high nic in my juice. i think my throat is sensitive or something. i suggest u try a range. i also heard nic affects the flavors.

good luck mate, hope you get a good mod and a great vaping experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread