YJ Chrome Vari-Tube= Poor Build Quality

Status
Not open for further replies.

j4mmin42

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2009
Arcata, Cali
Well, I thought that *perhaps* the E-cigarette had finally come to a point where Chinese-made APV's were starting to really compete with the super-expensive, hard-to-get mods out there. Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with those really awesome mods- in fact, like I said, they're really awesome! I just hate that they are so hard to get on "the list" for, expensive when you DO make the list, and *ridiculously* expensive when they make it to the classifieds (which, with some exceptions, the classifieds itself is just one big LOL to me). One of these mom-and-pop shops has to come up with a better means of production to make it easier to get our hands on these great products.

Anyway, to stay on-topic, I've been using the Chrome Varitube for 9 or 10 days now. It's generally great- up until recently it has done everything exactly as advertised, and everything has pretty much worked the way it was supposed to. Then about a day ago, I noticed some looseness in the 510 connection at the top of the device.

There are two major faults here, and they play into each other: For one, the outer threads that connect to your atty/carto etc are extremely loose; They're at the limits of what you could call an "acceptable tolerance". I have old ego batts that would put those threads to shame with their tolerances. They're so bad that some cartos will not even catch the first few rows, and when they finally do catch, the whole carto is able to swivel around at an angle, which makes you want to keep tightening it until it's straight- This brings me to the second major fault:

Today, the center post finally seemed to loosen itself to a point that it only fires intermittently when the carto/atty is partially screwed in, and does NOT fire when it is screwed all the way in. I suspect a loose connection inside the top of the device. Either way, NOT good. For those about to say I need to pull the post (either on the device or on my cartos), no, I don't need to. It makes the connection perfectly.

Up until a few hours ago, I would've recommended this device, solely because it did its job at a VERY reasonable price point. But unfortunately, I now will steer people away from this into something more expensive, which is a bit of a shame- but on the other hand, I guess it gives me the chance to recommend more small businesses, which IS something I enjoy doing (screw the Wal-Mart economy, I say...). As I said, I just hope some of the smaller companies out there come up with better ways of competing with the utter loads of crap APV's finding their way to our shores from the Chinese.

By the way, the Chinese did invent the Ecig (and patent it, for that matter), and when it comes to standard consumer grade ones, I feel they do a pretty good job. They need to do a lot more reverse-engineering to get some of the more advanced devices right, I would say- and use much better base materials.

My hopes have been dashed, at least for the time being...and it appears I need to return my second-ever VV device. oh well...:facepalm:

Last edited:

j4mmin42

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2009
Arcata, Cali
Just a quick update: Today the unit is worse than yesterday; it now only works intermittently, no matter how far the att/cart/tank is screwed in. I contacted the supplier last night for a refund, but they appear to be trying to troubleshoot my device instead of fulfilling my request for the return address and giving me the go-ahead to make the return (on my own dime). Of course, this makes me a bit nervous, as I can't help but wonder if they're trying to stall me out until after the 14-day return period is up, and then denying my request after that point. If indeed that is the case, I'll be sure to call them out here on the forum.

As of right now, though, my dealings with said supplier have been nothing but good-but that can change at a moment's notice, as we all know... *fingers crossed*

Striker911

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 7, 2012
Mountain Home, AR
Unless you know for sure its a YJ then I would be willing to bet its not. I seen a post in the deals and steals thread a little over a week ago about the mini (18350) for $30 and the bigger one for $40. So I got the bigger one and the + pin was way to deep in the connecter. It was defective cause it would not fire the DID Atty out of the box. So I pulled the pin and it was fine till I screwed an Ego type on it. Busted the isolator and the + pin started shorting to the top cap. Sounds just like your issue. This is mine a week later. Wanted to make a clear tank for the DID cause it was acting strange. Now I know why.

IMG_1387_zps0ff1d7de.jpg

IMG_1388_zpsdc2e3f4b.jpg

IMG_1389_zps1bac34b7.jpg

I dont think this was a YJ though. And ya it was junk. Sometimes I had to push the power button 50 times to get it to turn on.

j4mmin42

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2009
Arcata, Cali
Wow, yours looks just like mine does (except the top part is still attached, lol). If they aren't the YJ model, then they are near-identical knockoffs of a knockoff (of a knockoff)...I actually think they ARE the YJ, but who knows. I am having the same problem you are with the on/off switch.

Another update... I got my unit from litecigusa.net. I specifically asked for instructions on how to return it, along with some info on what wasn't working with it, and posed a question asking how long it would take to receive my refund n my account. here was the reply, and subsequent emails up to now:

**CENSORED DUE TO FORUM PRIVACY RULES****CENSORED DUE TO FORUM PRIVACY RULES****CENSORED DUE TO FORUM PRIVACY RULES****CENSORED DUE TO FORUM PRIVACY RULES****CENSORED DUE TO FORUM PRIVACY RULES****CENSORED DUE TO FORUM PRIVACY RULES****CENSORED DUE TO FORUM PRIVACY RULES****CENSORED DUE TO FORUM PRIVACY RULES****CENSORED DUE TO FORUM PRIVACY RULES****CENSORED DUE TO FORUM PRIVACY RULES****CENSORED DUE TO FORUM PRIVACY RULES****CENSORED DUE TO FORUM PRIVACY RULES****CENSORED DUE TO FORUM PRIVACY RULES****CENSORED DUE TO FORUM PRIVACY RULES**

**so as you all see, it appears this is gong to be a bit of a struggle to get my money back. Why can't suppliers just abide by their own policies, instead of wasting all of our time (and theirs, for that matter)?

Also, I would think that litecig would carry the genuine YJ knockoff (lol), any thoughts on that??

Last edited:

j4mmin42

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2009
Arcata, Cali
Ok, so I have not received a reply from customer support yet, but apparently I was wrong about their return policy: They do not offer money-back, even during the period that returns are accepted. It is the very last item on their Terms of Service, and states:

Returns
There are no RETURNS or REFUNDS. There is a 14 day warranty on all applicable parts from the date the order is placed. All parts covered under the warranty must be returned to LitecigUSA at customers expense before a replacement part will be issued. Please contact customer support for any warranty needs.

So I will not be dealing with them again. I searched around, and discountvapers.com has a better policy regarding refunds; goodprophets.com says specifically that they will "work with you" in certain cases, although officially they offer returns for replacement/credit. So the moral of the story is READ THE TERMS before buying from any supplier you're unfamiliar with!!

Striker911

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 7, 2012
Mountain Home, AR
Ya that seems like its going to suck if you have to get another one. I was thinking the YJ had the spring pin but I confused it with the L-rider. A PBusardo Review - In Depth Chrome Lava Tube Comparison - YouTube

My advise to you is that I would try to get my money back or try to get store credit. You can get a Gripper that has 4 amp limits also. It is $10 higher then DV or MV but its better then getting another Junky PV if they will only give you store credit. I got my YJ from Spring Vapor and it just took a phone call to get my Pay pal refund and like 10 minutes. Did not even have to send the broken one back. No issue with Spring Vapor at all. Great service. So in the same day it broke I was able to get my money and buy the telescope from MV.

Last edited:

Striker911

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 7, 2012
Mountain Home, AR
Take a look at this deal too. You can read what he said in the thread but I would keep looking. I am also looking for my back up. If I dont find one then I am buying the linked $31.99 LT. I already have the ST Telescope on the way but I just learned the hard way that I really need one for back up. So I am looking for cheap VV.
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...ts-6-49-ce5s-4-99-vivi-novas-8-99-more-2.html
Ok, so I have not received a reply from customer support yet, but apparently I was wrong about their return policy: They do not offer money-back, even during the period that returns are accepted. It is the very last item on their Terms of Service, and states:

Returns
There are no RETURNS or REFUNDS. There is a 14 day warranty on all applicable parts from the date the order is placed. All parts covered under the warranty must be returned to LitecigUSA at customers expense before a replacement part will be issued. Please contact customer support for any warranty needs.

So I will not be dealing with them again. I searched around, and discountvapers.com has a better policy regarding refunds; goodprophets.com says specifically that they will "work with you" in certain cases, although officially they offer returns for replacement/credit. So the moral of the story is READ THE TERMS before buying from any supplier you're unfamiliar with!!

j4mmin42

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2009
Arcata, Cali
Also, if I can only get store credit, I may go for a second gripper, as you said (I already have one). But I have enogh mass-market PV's now that I really wanted to buy a REO Grand or a Provari... it's just time to step up, I think.

Provari's are on sale right now on their website for $159 and up. REO Grands start at $144, but there may be a way to get a discount for both units here on ECF (I haven't looked yet). Either way, it's a lot more dough, but I want something bulletproof next.

Last edited:

nilavap

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 20, 2012
Illinois, USA
Unless you know for sure its a YJ then I would be willing to bet its not. I seen a post in the deals and steals thread a little over a week ago about the mini (18350) for $30 and the bigger one for $40. So I got the bigger one and the + pin was way to deep in the connecter. It was defective cause it would not fire the DID Atty out of the box. So I pulled the pin and it was fine till I screwed an Ego type on it. Busted the isolator and the + pin started shorting to the top cap. Sounds just like your issue. This is mine a week later. Wanted to make a clear tank for the DID cause it was acting strange. Now I know why.

IMG_1387_zps0ff1d7de.jpg

IMG_1388_zpsdc2e3f4b.jpg

IMG_1389_zps1bac34b7.jpg

I dont think this was a YJ though. And ya it was junk. Sometimes I had to push the power button 50 times to get it to turn on.

I recently bought one of these and like you, I cannot get it to turn on until after pushing the power button at least 15 or more times. I had to let the vendor know and he sent me a replacement. The replacement is the same way. At this point, I feel like I want to ask for a refund but I hate to ask for one because the vendor has been so good to me...don't know what to do <sigh>

Striker911

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 7, 2012
Mountain Home, AR
I recently bought one of these and like you, I cannot get it to turn on until after pushing the power button at least 15 or more times. I had to let the vendor know and he sent me a replacement. The replacement is the same way. At this point, I feel like I want to ask for a refund but I hate to ask for one because the vendor has been so good to me...don't know what to do <sigh>
You got to keep both of them? If so I would sell one for cheap with full disclosure of course and use the other one for a back up when all else fails. If you have two someone else could use a back up also. Thats about all they are good for. Just sitting around waiting for a battery.

j4mmin42

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2009
Arcata, Cali
I ended up getting to keep mine and eventually got a refund out of the supplier anyway- I had offered to send it back, but he said it was not necessary (it took some haggling and a forum post before I got the refund). Anyway, since mine barely fires an atty anymore, it's practically useless for vaping- BUT, it is good for measuring resistance for DIY coils... and I just got my 100ft kanthal/20ft silica in today :D

nilavap

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 20, 2012
Illinois, USA
I had to send the first one back but the man sent me a replacement immediately so that I would not have to go without. Unfortunately, the replacement is so hard to turn on that my husband has to turn it on for me(if he is able; it takes him 10 minutes to coax it on). I did have to email the man and let him know that I am not having any luck with the replacement he sent either. I hated doing that. He even tested it before he sent it to me and he had no problems getting it to power on. I did not want Tom to be out the sale but I can't use the varitube so I need to buy something I can use. Looks like I will probably be going back to smoking until I can find something I can work. smh

nilavap

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 20, 2012
Illinois, USA
Decided that accepting his offer to give me a refund is a low thing to do since he did try to fix it and send me one that worked. Not his fault at all but the fault of the people who made this item. I did ask him to send me a different mod but if this one doesn't work either, I am going to just eat the loss myself. Seems like the only fair thing to do at this point. And I will definitely want to keep this vendor because he makes an honest effort to supply good customer service. I can always shell out a few more bucks to try another mod but cant find good vendors that easily. His willingness to give a refund is all I was really interested in; I don't plan to accept it tho.

Last edited:

j4mmin42

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2009
Arcata, Cali
It is really nice to work with a lot of the suppliers here. I would even say thet Shawn over at litecig is a great guy, now that I've gotten to know him- it's just that he is disconnected from his customers most of the time, so he doesn't get to see what actually goes on when something goes bad (like in my case).

the Vmod has a 6 month warranty, and apparently every time you send the thing back, they end up sending extra goodies along with it, like extra designer shells and cones, when they return it. So I really don't mind if it goes bad on me... heh.

nilavap

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 20, 2012
Illinois, USA
I know I had a hard time finding a vendor who would answer my questions about getting a mod. I didn't get any responses until I found Tom at Tropical Vapors and he answered all my questions and even recommended the batteries I would need. I didn't know what to buy so until I got answers I was just going to hold off. I only started vaping recently and my hubby still uses analogs for the most part so he's no help; he knows nothing about vaping equipment. He doesn't have time to research them either as hes on call 7 days a week 24 hrs a day.
It does seem like the owners of the ecig shops are too overwhelmed with customers to spend time answering everybodys questions. So I am ecstatic to find one who does take time to answer questions.

Onedesign1

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
if anybody is wondering all Young June devices should have a 90 day warranty for replacement. Refunds would be up to the seller of course but YJ makes good on issues for 90 days. As for turning it on its 5 run for your life as fast as you can clicks by design. If you get the hang of the rhythm it works every time.

j4mmin42

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2009
Arcata, Cali
if anybody is wondering all Young June devices should have a 90 day warranty for replacement. Refunds would be up to the seller of course but YJ makes good on issues for 90 days. As for turning it on its 5 run for your life as fast as you can clicks by design. If you get the hang of the rhythm it works every time.

Yeah... I think the problem here is that *should have* part: Most resellers lump all products into a short, 1-3 week warranty- and most of the time, these particular units are not branded "Young June", although sometimes they are. To be completely honest, it's not very common- in ANY industry- for a consumer to buy something from a reseller, and be expected to return it to the manufacturer overseas- ESPECIALLY when they dont know who made it, because it arrived with NO PACKAGING and UNBRANDED! To be specific, in 3 years of vaping, I have never seen an e-cigarette reseller who quotes manufacturer-warranty info, contact info, etc for you- most of the time, you don't know where it even came from.

Sorry, but you've got to be crazy trying to recommend returning an unknown, unbranded product, bought from a reseller, to an unknown manufacturer 10000 miles away...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread