YOUDE nailed it! Coil winding jig Version 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

IMFire3605

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2013
Blue Rapids, KS, US
I've pretty much moved back to good ole spaced spiral rake coils using Ni200 for my Vaporshark, my Kayfuns and such I've moved to spiral coils as well, seem to be performing a bit better than the micro, nano, macro contact coils, still have a few drippers I build tensioned macro coils on, but still doing it old school, piece of rod, pair of vice grips, and wind away using the weight of the vice grips to keep tension.

Sirius

Star Puppy
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 19, 2013
North Carolina
Well--it matters to me. :D I'm curious and I would like to know. Otherwise I wouldn't be asking. [emoji38]
I'm old and a bit more concerned with just getting as well a functioning coil with as little effort as possible. That being said,..I can use the Kuro without the need of those jewelers visors and it always comes out at the desired resistance...All I need do after mounting the coil is pulse it and squeeze with the ceramic tip tweezers...Tensioned coils? I really see no need to fuss over...26ga at .7ohms is what I shoot for and could pretty much do one blindfolded now.[emoji85]

Sent from my XT1028 using Tapatalk

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
i think some people just get way into it more than they need too. I've been thinking about getting the UD coiler, because all the posts fit in just one piece I believe, one body one top. Whereas the kuro coilers I have, I have 3 separate tools for 3 separate sizes.

I have only one Kuro, the 2.5 mm, and that's pretty much all I need. I find that the 2.5 mm coils work well with all my RBAs. Besides, the rod is removable, and the coiler will accept a slightly larger (or smaller) rod.

Last edited:

Rule62

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2011
Melbourne, Florida
I'm old and a bit more concerned with just getting as well a functioning coil with as little effort as possible. That being said,..I can use the Kuro without the need of those jewelers visors and it always comes out at the desired resistance...All I need do after mounting the coil is pulse it and squeeze with the ceramic tip tweezers...Tensioned coils? I really see no need to fuss over...26ga at .7ohms is what I shoot for and could pretty much do one blindfolded now.[emoji85]

I agree. I'm also old and lazy. I think some people get over-analytical about this stuff. I use a Coil Master because I get great working coils, consistently, with as little effort as possible, and easier on the fingers than wrapping them around a screwdriver.

SUPER K

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 3, 2015
I own a lot of vaping hardware, insane amounts of DIY flavoring, kanthal, batteries, etc. However, this is my favorite purchase to date.

I kept my eyes on the Kuro winders as they were introduced. Authentic seemed a bit steep for decent quality and clones were iffy. Finally this stainless steel refined beauty with the kinks worked out emerged.

All I can say is WOW: I will never hand wrap another coil again. I am by no means an amateur coil builder, having done fused claptons, zippers, etc. However, I have gone back to the similar ways and this beauty is irreplaceable in my tool kit.

Let's get to some images...

PERFECT SCREW SIZE / SHAPE

EXAMPLE 1: 30g kanthal @ 2mm ID

NOTE: I have NEVER used 30g before on it's own. This is my first time wrapping a coil with it, let alone my first time using it with a jig. My first wrap was a bit off but it was very easy to learn from there.

Example #2: How about a big boy? 22G A1 Kanthal @ 3.5mm!

22G vs 30G!

Example #3: 26G a1 kanthal @ 2.5mm ID

Example #4: 28g a1 kanthal @ 2mm ID
NOTE: Wonky old coil that I've used, inserted and removed from an RDA. Old and nasty but still looks great! :)

[/b]
How long are the rods and how do they work for positioning coils on decks? I like the simplicity of one cap and body, but the coil master V3 is at the top of my list right now due to longer rods for positioning and tweaking on deck. Could you snap a beautiful hi res pic of a coil on the mandrel while working the coil on the deck?

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal

How very true... I can make my Kuro coils blindfolded and they are always the same--as long as I count my wraps correctly. I usually overwrap by 2 or 3 wraps, unwind the outside wraps and end up with a perfect coil every time. A few gentle pulses takes care of the rest--I don't even use tweezers anymore--just a few rakes over the coil with the rod or a screwdriver.

SUPER K

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 3, 2015
Please let me answer this more succinctly

electrically there is no difference between what you are calling a "tensioned coil" and a "formed coil". If there was there would be a difference in resistance.

A truly bonded coil would need to be made using a combination of heating the wire just under the melting point and light tension. It would have very low resistance as a result.

Not by hand
Don't go throwing science and fact into the mix, you'll ruin someone's perceived notions that come "absolute" facts for others to take as gospel.

Rule62

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2011
Melbourne, Florida
How very true... I can make my Kuro coils blindfolded and they are always the same--as long as I count my wraps correctly. I usually overwrap by 2 or 3 wraps, unwind the outside wraps and end up with a perfect coil every time. A few gentle pulses takes care of the rest--I don't even use tweezers anymore--just a few rakes over the coil with the rod or a screwdriver.

If you're doing it that way, I guarantee you won't get any discernible improvement any other way.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 15, 2014
Arizona, Ecuador
:)

I had a feeling... I have never been able to make a perfect tensioned coil--I know that for a fact--no matter how hard I tried. I started making my coils on a 2 mm screwdriver, like everyone else, then tried all kinds of gizmos, coilers, pin vise etc. I haven't seen much difference in the quality of my vape--honestly. But I thought it was my fault solely.

Anyway, thanks for your thoughts. You made me feel better. Back to my Kuro--until someone invents a perfected tensioned coil winder. :D

lmao.............:lol::lol::lol:

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country
off topic, but why does the 22 awg roll have a 'born on' date?

To prevent getting a "skunked" one.
You see , if they are left in the cooler for too long, or in a hot transport truck they get "skunked" and have a nasty smell and taste.

....oh wait ... That's Beer.
:) What were we talking about?

Reactions: Boden

alicewonderland

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2012
To prevent getting a "skunked" one.
You see , if they are left in the cooler for too long, or in a hot transport truck they get "skunked" and have a nasty smell and taste.

....oh wait ... That's Beer.
:) What were we talking about?

thats one thing i learned recently. If you can see the color of your beer before you buy it, it's probably crap :lol:

Reactions: Bad Ninja

whosrandy

ECF Veteran
Aug 23, 2013
Woah. What did I start here? I'll be honest and say I don't do much reading on forums. My life is too busy now =(

I created this thread to express my excitement over this product and it gave me an excuse to bust out my umbrella, off camera flash and so on. All I know is that this product busts out some beautiful perfectly spaced coils and that makes me happy. I don't care about the tension element. My main concerns are dual coils heating evenly, inside out and no hot legs. I have all the coil sizes that I use covered and it works flawlessly if you have any motor function skills.

I wish you all luck on finding the perfect vape, finely tuned to maximize production at a scientific level. I'm perfectly content with my simple coils and hope my thread inspires other old school hand wrappers to do the same. I've been wrapping them for over a year now and this is a blessing.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

whosrandy

ECF Veteran
Aug 23, 2013
How long are the rods and how do they work for positioning coils on decks? I like the simplicity of one cap and body, but the coil master V3 is at the top of my list right now due to longer rods for positioning and tweaking on deck. Could you snap a beautiful hi res pic of a coil on the mandrel while working the coil on the deck?
Hmm.. in bed now and I probably won't have a chance to post pics for a while. I've used the bits to position every coil into place since I received the product and it works very well. They're fairly small ... maybe 2" long? Just an estimate. But I have medium sized hands and can easily do so.

Sorry man. Wish I thought of this originally!

Reactions: SUPER K

SUPER K

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 3, 2015
Woah. What did I start here? I'll be honest and say I don't do much reading on forums. My life is too busy now =(

I created this thread to express my excitement over this product and it gave me an excuse to bust out my umbrella, off camera flash and so on. All I know is that this product busts out some beautiful perfectly spaced coils and that makes me happy. I don't care about the tension element. My main concerns are dual coils heating evenly, inside out and no hot legs. I have all the coil sizes that I use covered and it works flawlessly if you have any motor function skills.

I wish you all luck on finding the perfect vape, finely tuned to maximize production at a scientific level. I'm perfectly content with my simple coils and hope my thread inspires other old school hand wrappers to do the same. I've been wrapping them for over a year now and this is a blessing.

Good job and great photos . Where did you pick yours up from?

SUPER K

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 3, 2015
Johnvapes.com on ebay. Sadly I don't see it posted anymore. It was $10 and some changed, shipped inside US. Arrived in 3 days and definitively authentic. =)

Had to go through Gearbest, no one else had this version. eBay, Amazon , and Google struck out. Here's to waiting 10-25 days.

Reactions: whosrandy

DanJiblets

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2015
Shorewood, IL
I'm a coil building noob, just ordered this simple little jig for $5. Should do the trick hopefully to get me started.
CKztajo.jpg

Reactions: yuseffuhler
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread