Status
Not open for further replies.

Stormynights

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2009
Bristow, Ok.
I have read here that a lot of people put on a new coil for every fill up. I'd like to hear what is your favorite coil method single dual etc. Wicks dual or single. How often do you change and why. I am new to the Ody and I don't like a new coil. for me it has to break in. New it just tastes nasty.

wreimer

ECF Veteran
Dec 11, 2011
Calgary, Alberta
I wrap a new coil every fill. Dual wick, normally 2 - 2.1 ohm. I generally install the new coil, do a 10-15 second dry burn, fill it up and it's good to go.
I've never found a new coil tasted nasty...just the opposite....with a small caveat...I do that dry burn first.
I find the Ody is pretty hard on coils anyway, and after a day or so of use the wick is pretty charred ( I'm using it on a Stealth, BTW) and it is starting to taste a bit burnt, and it doesn't produce nearly as much vapor as it does new.
No rules though...if you don't like a new coil for some reason...I'd avoid it.

keighles

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 2, 2011
Maryland
I think you will get a lot of different ideas and preferences to who likes what and how they do it. Each coil no matter how you do it seams to be slightly different to the last, some better, some worse. Just a result of doing it by hand.
I like to make mine a single coil with 2 equal sizes of wick 1.9 ohms at 3.7volts. I don't put the wick down the channels of the ody ceramic. I leave them out in the tank. I find this gives the best results for me.
Mine last me about a week, I dry burn before refilling. The coil will last longer than the wick, the wick will fray at the ends and pieces of it will come off. I suppose I could re wrap the coil on a new wick but I don't bother. Just toss it then make a new one.

Last edited:

Tgoode

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 13, 2012
Ontario
tgoode.zenfolio.com
Short wick plus long wick for me, as demonstrated in igetcha69's tutorial video. I'm wrapping around a 20ga needle to ensure the wick has some slack inside the coil. For wire I'm using 32 AWG kanthal A @ about 1.8 to 2 ohms. I dry-flame the prepared wick and coil prior to use. This is done with a cig lighter.

I'm still in the experimenting phase so I've changed wicks daily, but I may be getting close to finding my perfect wick & coil combo.

Last edited:

urquidezj

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 18, 2010
Tucson AZ
i have this awesome wick that i stumbled upon from another member, this thing is a freak of nature. ive had it on one of my rebuildable for a month. i burn the juice off, dry burn amd it turn pearl white. like new no joke. i have three strands in the coil and two going down the channel. its been two says, same peedormance. on my rebuildable i do the dry burn or clean every three days. good to go after that. dont know how ody wick so i cant comment on that. i will report back in a couple of days.

Stormynights

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2009
Bristow, Ok.
i have this awesome wick that i stumbled upon from another member, this thing is a freak of nature. ive had it on one of my rebuildable for a month. i burn the juice off, dry burn amd it turn pearl white. like new no joke. i have three strands in the coil and two going down the channel. its been two says, same peedormance. on my rebuildable i do the dry burn or clean every three days. good to go after that. dont know how ody wick so i cant comment on that. i will report back in a couple of days.
I want to make one of those. Where are the instructions?

dspin

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 2, 2010
USA
I have read here that a lot of people put on a new coil for every fill up. I'd like to hear what is your favorite coil method single dual etc. Wicks dual or single. How often do you change and why. I am new to the Ody and I don't like a new coil. for me it has to break in. New it just tastes nasty.

Mine go for 2 weeks or more in short mode

dspin

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 2, 2010
USA

I don't dry burn, don't mind if the wick is black or not. Coils last longer in short mode for some reason. Maybe because its a tank

Last edited:

urquidezj

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 18, 2010
Tucson AZ
one is for resistance, the other no resistance, so no resistance would be say the posts on a bulli type revuildable. way easier this way imo. but it requires isolators like ceramic. question, if this would be a ss insert .would we able to oxydize the positive wire and eliminate the ceramic? just mind stirring ideas.

Killjoy1

Ω Destroyer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 15, 2011
New Hampshire, US
Why do we have to use 2 kinds of wire?

The no resistance wire is what you use to make your positive and negative connections. This wire doesn't heat up and doesn't add to the total resistance, using both means you keep the heating/resistance element ONLY where you want it to be. If you were to use only resistance wire your resistance would be quite high and would not vape well since it would be heating the entire length of the wire

Stormynights

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2009
Bristow, Ok.
The no resistance wire is what you use to make your positive and negative connections. This wire doesn't heat up and doesn't add to the total resistance, using both means you keep the heating/resistance element ONLY where you want it to be. If you were to use only resistance wire your resistance would be quite high and would not vape well since it would be heating the entire length of the wire

Thanks for a simple explanation that even I can understand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread