Status
Not open for further replies.

rwechsler

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
essentially your not doing anything different but using less wick... the channels themselves feed juice to the ends of your short wick just as it does with long wick... it also acts like a Dam to impede flow through the gaps of the ODY ceramic and ceramic housing... I have actually vaped a tank bone dry with my coil method... story goes... vaping away like normal just put in a new battery then vape gets weaker and weaker really fast cant be batteries its fresh right.... so I open it up and its dry as a bone... I'm thinking great my tank must of dumped into my catch tank on the GGTS but a look inside its also bone dry... I just hadn't filled it in a while.... and what little juice I did have left was all in my lil 1/2" piece of wick which was just about dry itself... but from this mistake I did learn that less juice is wasted using a short wick as well and that by the act of vaping itself all juice eventually finds its way to the wick to be vaped....

Now honestly as far as shorts are concerned as long as your center pin wire is securely tucked into its channel there can be no issue... if you use 510 to 510 adapters or the like you have a better chance of shorting out your GG that way than with my coil method... which is essentially the reason I no longer use a 510 connection and only use the GGTS/Ody base...

Just washed out my UFS mode ody (NOT BEING CRITICAL, it just won't work due to nature of bottom feeding ody with the UFS!), and I'll give your method a try with kilned nextel, no wick in the channels, and in short mode. I'll post my thoughts after I run a full tank through it, which I'll do with as little bias as possible.

Word up about the adapters! I only use them on the iAtty+air control tank. Best thing they can be used for is taking em apart to swoop the silicon ring to add an extra layer of protection between the post and the ceramic housing.

MrKrinkle

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 13, 2009
San Diego, CA
Just washed out my UFS mode ody (NOT BEING CRITICAL, it just won't work due to nature of bottom feeding ody with the UFS!), and I'll give your method a try with kilned nextel, no wick in the channels, and in short mode. I'll post my thoughts after I run a full tank through it, which I'll do with as little bias as possible.

Word up about the adapters! I only use them on the iAtty+air control tank. Best thing they can be used for is taking em apart to swoop the silicon ring to add an extra layer of protection between the post and the ceramic housing.

The UFS is a different animal all together.... I have never used an ODY in the UFS with or without my coil method so I can offer no answer to that set up in regards to my coil method... maybe Imeo will give it a try and tell us if it works or not...

rwechsler

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
I think it COULD work, but you'd probably end up just having to rely on using the mouthpiece for juice control as the juice would have to travel approximately 2.5cm (from the bottom of the 510 connector to top of ceramic is 2.75cm) from juice control ring to wick, as opposed to only .5cm (size of exposed ceramic channel in my current setup, but that varies depending on what base you're using) in short mode.

Have you tried modding a ceramic to accommodate a full length of nextel?

MrKrinkle

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 13, 2009
San Diego, CA
I think it COULD work, but you'd probably end up just having to rely on using the mouthpiece for juice control as the juice would have to travel approximately 2.5cm (from the bottom of the 510 connector to top of ceramic is 2.75cm) from juice control ring to wick, as opposed to only .5cm (size of exposed ceramic channel in my current setup, but that varies depending on what base you're using) in short mode.

Haversacks you tried modding a ceramic to accommodate a full length of nextel?

I have yet to modify the ODY ceramic because when I first got my ODY I started using my coil method so that I wouldnt risk breaking the only ceramic I had back when ODY first arrived... this method has worked great for me since so other than playing with dual and single coils with different gage wire and ohms I have just kept using my wick this way...

rwechsler

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
I was curious on preferred coil setups etc. for high voltage vaping? Im trying to get my GGSlim and Extension back in the rotation as well as as dual battery GGTB.

any suggestions for 7.4v?

any suggestions for 6.4v?

1.6-2.2 for 6v
2.4-3.0 (I'd go with 2.5, trust) for 7.4v

Tgoode

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 13, 2012
Ontario
tgoode.zenfolio.com
Over the last week I have managed to use up 1 meter of Iatty wick and half a meter of Ody wick experimenting with atty builds and have come to a few conclusions.

For LR single coil setups, .30 ga kanthal A1 works better than .32. I think this is because it requires more turns of kanthal therefore resulting in more surface area of wick being in contact with heating element.
SS mesh can be made to work but results are inconsistent in tank setups. It does make a good, long-life dripping mode coil though.
A half-Krinkle setup works well and is flood resistant providing you use enough wick in the top section.
Flooding/leaking occurs at the top of the rebuildable part, not the bottom.
What's in your channels has little to do with performance, wicking or flooding.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread