Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2014
Maryland
com·pli·cat·ed
ˈkämpləˌkādəd/
adjective
consisting of many interconnecting parts or elements; intricate.
"a complicated stereo system"
synonyms: complex, intricate

@Alien Traveler , I am not sure if English is your first language, but this is what 'complicated' means. Something with more parts is more complicated than something with fewer parts. This is the definition of the word.

so, yes, something like two small wires with another wire wrapped around them is, by definition, more complicated than a single wire.

And, back on topic, the ProVari doesn't work well with more complicated builds. Thats all I said. And it is accurate. Many vaping hobbyists like to try these more complicated things, and a ProVari isn't going to work for them. Of course, the ProVari fans don't have a good argument against this except to say that this point is invalid because people don't need to try these kinds of things. Or they will criticize my grammar, even though it is accurate.

Last edited:
Reactions: jhhollier

zapped

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2009
Richmond, Va...Right in Altria's back yard.
I didn't mean beginner to mean for someone who hasn't been vaping very long. Only that these devices appeal to users who prefer not to build RDAs. Or, if they do, it would be something extremely basic with a tiny single coil. It's for vapers who choose not to try more complicated things, who choose not to get into vaping as a hobby, who choose to stay at the level of what they first tried and enjoyed. And for the vapers who have decided to advance beyond that, ProVari doesn't work anymore.

You are right it is not for the Hobbyist that believes that low ohm and High watts is the only way to go. Most of us that have used vaping to stay off death sticks get a very good vape of our 2.5 or P3's. Because its is not right for you. You can't assume your way is the only way.
PS.
It is a mater of opinion If your way is an advancement or a regression.

Well spoken.

I too took issue with DaveSignals characterization of hobbyists being more advanced vapers.

Thats like saying hot rodders are more advanced motorists than someone who logs 50k + miles a year with their daily driver.

Hobbyists are an offshoot of vaping, nothing more. Any claims to the contrary are just arrogance talking. They are not the future and they are not more advanced....and they sure as hell arent in ANY position to lead the rest of us, especially when so little respect is given to those who came before them.

I know how to build a sub-ohm twisted clapton coil, how to pick the proper battery for it and which mods works best for those kinds of builds as well.

I dont use them because I think its stupid to spend more money on vaping than I did on cigarettes.

Im also not the kind of person who has to buy a V-12 when a more economical and bulletproof 4 cylinder is available.

Then again, Im not overcompensating either.:evil:

Last edited:

Alien Traveler

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 3, 2014
United States
@Alien Traveler , I am not sure if English is your first language, but this is what 'complicated' means.
I am quite sure English is not my first language, and what "complicated" means:
complicated
adjective com·pli·cat·ed \ˈkäm-plə-ˌkā-təd\
: hard to understand, explain, or deal with : having many parts or steps

Full Definition of COMPLICATED
: consisting of parts intricately combined <a complicated recipe>
: difficult to analyze, understand, or explain <a complicated issue

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/complicated

DaveSignal

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2014
Maryland
I am quite sure English is not my first language, and what "complicated" means:
complicated
adjective com·pli·cat·ed \ˈkäm-plə-ˌkā-təd\
: hard to understand, explain, or deal with : having many parts or steps

Full Definition of COMPLICATED
: consisting of parts intricately combined <a complicated recipe>
: difficult to analyze, understand, or explain <a complicated issue

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/complicated
English IS my first language. And complicated can mean either/or. "Difficult to understand" is a second alternate definition for the word. But the first listed definition is that of combined parts. eg: if you have two recipes, the one with more ingredients is more complicated. My wife is also an alien traveler originally from Asia, and I explain this kind of stuff to her all the time.

DaveSignal

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2014
Maryland
Well spoken.

I too took issue with DaveSignals characterization of hobbyists being more advanced vapers.

I don't think I ever said anything like this. I said that many hobbyists try builds with more wires or more intricacies that make the power limitation of a ProVari difficult to work with.

ETA: I guess I did say that a ProVari is for beginner-level builders, which is true. But there are many vapers who have been doing this a long time who prefer to do very basic and simple things. There is nothing wrong with that. But it is what it is.

Last edited:

madangus

ECF Veteran
May 10, 2015
Chicago-land
Since i max out at 26 watts on my drippers i will get a couple of radii, to join the 2.5s and single p3. The build quality is fantastic, the only reason i got a few hex ohms was to drip and i keep those down at 10% so a 40watt provari box will be ideal for me. They just feel very well built.

And there is a low tech yet futuristic charm to the simple screens of the proavari 2.5s that photo just Do NOT do justice. In my opinion.

cozzicon

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 19, 2010
Chicago IL
More to the point perhaps, after 5 years of vaping what equipment do I have that still works?

Provari
Opus
3 kicks
Empire Mod
iTaste VTR
GLV 2 Mini
Kalamazoo Vapor Shop Triple V (I believe this is one of the prototypes)

That's a tiny sample of all the stuff that has run through my hands in 5 years, and NOT been discarded for sucking, or thrown away for dying.

So if you are looking for hardware to *quit smoking*... I'd suggest talking to long time vapers and finding out what they have that still works after 5 years. Provari and Evolv products will loom large. And there will be others I cannot comment on since I've not owned them.

Then check those companies or modders out. There's a track record out there now- even high end custom modders have been around long enough to have a reputation. Pay attention to reputation.

Old timey vapers may not share a lust for big clouds and high wattage. However they know who the good companies are. Start there and then look for features.

Stubby

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2009
Madison, WI USA
@Alien Traveler

And, back on topic, the ProVari doesn't work well with more complicated builds. Thats all I said. And it is accurate. Many vaping hobbyists like to try these more complicated things, and a ProVari isn't going to work for them. Of course, the ProVari fans don't have a good argument against this except to say that this point is invalid because people don't need to try these kinds of things. Or they will criticize my grammar, even though it is accurate.

That has to be one of the more bizarre arguments I have heard, with the reason being no one has claimed a ProVari is toy for the hobbyists (or that hobbyists shouldn't be pursuing their hobby), and never have. It's a tool for vaping, and one that is reliable, consistent, safe, and has arguably the best service on the market.

No one here is going to argue with you if you want to pursue your hobby with the latest toys. The reason ProVari's are popular is that many of us are not into the hobby side of it and just want a tool for vaping that is reliable, consistent, safe, and has arguably the best costumer service on the market. It is beyond understanding if you have a problem with that.

As far as I can tell you are making up off the wall bogus arguments, for what purpose is unknown.

jhhollier

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 3, 2014
I guess I must be in the minority because whether a mod will last for 5 years or not is something I don't consider when deciding on a purchase. Longevity is great but I'd rather have a mod that meets my expectations in regard to specs/features even if it "only" lasts a year or so than one that doesn't meet those expectations but will last 5 years.

nebulis

ECF Veteran
Sep 1, 2014
Vienna, Europe
And complicated can mean either/or. "Difficult to understand" is a second alternate definition for the word. But the first listed definition is that of combined parts. .
It is not important what is listed first. What a word in a given context means depends solely on that given context and definitely not on the order possible meanings are listed in a dictionary.

You wrote:
For the people who have already quit smoking and pursue vaping for the sake of vaping, maybe to chase the flavor or to chase the vapor or just to try some fancy build that they saw on youtube, then ProVari is a horrible choice.

I miss specific arguments. The ones you gave (complicated, fancy builds) are not specific enough and suggest that you could simply mean high power (needed exactly for these fancy complicated cloud-chasing youtube builds). If this is the case: Yes, Provape does not cater for builds that need high power, this is nothing new. But this has nothing to do with "advanced vaping" pursued by experienced vapers? Given the fact that any newbie can watch one or two youtube videos, run to the shop, buy the equipment they saw on youtube and wind a lot of wire into it. And this happes every day. - So what else does Provape miss, besides customers with extremely high power needs?

Reactions: Electrodave

Visus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 4, 2013
United States
Its absolutely funny reading on Provari posts because Provari's were the king of the hill in power a few years back @ 15watts they whipped(not including hobby mods or mechs) every VV mod on the planet.

We were crazy about having those high powered Provari's back then.. People are forgetting why Provari's were so exclusive not just because they are built great but they were powerful to us too.. :w00t:

Hit it out the park Provape 50watts .2ohms and bulletproof, accurate, on a single 18650 will be the bees knees.. Evolv, China, hobbyist, etc manufact higher watt end mods, oh yeah great day in vaping --and you can buy it all for pennies on the dollar. They cost a months worth of stinkies or less for many. Analogs are $10 here, pad is over 300 a month.. Its a no brainer if the wattage is good on Radius.. We know it will be repaired with great customer service and a good helpful crazy community behind it. 5yrs @ 200 bucks is great buy IMO if they drop the hammer on a twin turbo with nitrous... The p3 has nitrous no twin turbos with boost function lol.. Even subtle douche cruiser Bentleys have 700 horsepower these days... To Tuesday:nun::w00t::vapor:..

BTW us hobbyist have paved the way to todays standards. Us who modded atomizers, made high powered mods, we found that we enjoyed the vape @ that there high watt spot with profound vapor, flavor, and efficient nic delivery that in today help non vapers become vapers @ a much better rate than your tootlepuffer gears. It turns a smoker into a vaper at a much easier rate.. :thumb:

Pbusardo's recent last ejuice review vid he used an old hh357 atomizer, if you do not know that was an atomizer to have, he couldn't believe how tight the draw was said, "he was gonna suck cheeks in," it was hilarious.. Yeah we come a long way away from tootlepuffin lol.. But yall ok with me..:party:

I cannot believe someone still vapes a cartomizer tank it looks great no doubt, but omg.. I would need 36mg nic to match my 3mg of nic in my vapes..

Last edited:

coolerat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2015
Verona,NY
In terms of paying respect to the vaping elders (most of whom are prolly younger then me vaping is so strange cause it's so new) I look at the Provari people as the ones who opted out.

My respect goes to the guy who wondered 'what if"??

All the times I tried vaping in the past it failed cause it just didn't work for me. No big inhale. No flavor. No cloudz bro.

But people kept probing behind the scenes. And they finally found something that got a lot of people off smokes

Those men and women are my founding fathers. The ones who kept going so vaping works for everyone. And when I've found my spot they are still going trying to include everyone.

kates

ECF Veteran
Jan 20, 2014
United Kingdom
I cannot believe someone still vapes a cartomizer tank it looks great no doubt, but omg.. I would need 36mg nic to match my 3mg of nic in my vapes..
I still use a carto tank (amongst other things) ;)- but at 9mg not 36. I am probably unusual as I don't see any problem with high nic - I vape unflavoured because I love the 'fizz' of nicotine and very reluctantly reduced from 28 when I started two and a half years ago to the 0-9 I use now. I only reduced because I found I couldn't vape the amount I wanted (3-4 ml a day) any longer at the levels I started with. (I also don't intend to ever stop vaping....but I didn't intend to stop smoking so who knows :)) Some of us prefer low wattage even after trying sub-ohm - and as long as there is acknowledgement that some new vapers may need that to quit and are encouraged to try that as well as higher wattage I'm cool with it. Does bug me a bit when it's dismissed as just for newbs, those who aren't willing to try anything different or as somehow inferior but hey - the important thing is to quit those cigarettes (and the provari is perfect for lower wattage vaping if the price point suits). I tried a lot of things before I found what suited me - I still occasionally try new stuff but so far nothing else has been better so I haven't 'opted out' I've just found my spot.The absolute best thing about vaping is it can be tailored to suit anyone and I hope it continues to develop and we can all find something perfect for us.

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2013
BC Canada
I just got use to being able to go to work with my provari not wondering if its going to flake out on me half way through my day. Been 2+ years now and my provari still going strong. I started vaping to quit smoking and I have a bunch of mechs and mods that I haven't found myself to trust enough to take out of the house without a backup. My provari has proven its worth many times over so piece of mind to me is more valuable than a large overpowered cloud.

tj99959

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    For you, perhaps

NO ..... Mandated by law.

AND, all I know is that I don't need 200 watts to find a vape that I like! ( and frankly my dear, I don't give a damn if you like the same vape or not)

Didn't give a damn about what brand you smoked either!

ETA: I guess I did say that a ProVari is for beginner-level builders,

In the past I've built some of the wildest/craziest coils you can imagine .......... just found that it wasn't necessary.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread