Moved On
Oct 15, 2014
Dallas
  • Deleted by retired1
  • Reason: Unregistered Supplier

Dale11

Nov 30, 2014
US
But what is the reason why manufacturers would put that stuff into their flavorings?

It's not that manufactures are purposely putting it in their flavorings. You have to remember that none of this is really designed to be vaped. All the flavorings used where/are meant for food and to be ingested not inhaled. The flavoring companies are starting to remove the diketones from the flavorings but a lot of the flavorings really suffer in quality when that is done. Like anything, if it tastes good then it's probably bad for you, that's not just in vaping but food products in general. I myself don't really buy in to the diketones are the end of the world until there is more vaping related proof. But I can certainly see why others would, but then again most of us where smoking and even if you are vaping diketones you're already improving your health compared to smoking. To my knowledge there has been no diketone related illnesses from vaping reported yet. I also think that once diketones are removed then something else will pop up that shouldn't be inhaled and so on. My 2cents are that it's really just an endless circle. And if you're going to worry about diketones then you might as well start questioning everything else that goes in to your body both from food and everyday breathing of air. But everyone has their own opinion on this and mine certainly isn't for everyone.

In regards to safe vendors, Aemsa vendors aren't suppose to have DA or AP but I don't know that Aemsa actually checks or even if the vendors have to actually provide any proof other than just saying their juice doesn't have it, but someone else might be able to clarify that.

Last edited:

Dale11

Nov 30, 2014
US
Is there any place on this forum where a Safe list will be collected? It's really hard going through all the threads.

It would be very helpful to all if we had some place with no dialog - just a list of vendors/flavors that do Not have the bad stuff.

Safe according to what? The vendor? While I'm sure there are some vendors out there that post legit results, there will probably be just as many posting non legit results or results that don't tell the entire story simply to be on a "safe list" and to get business, and who will verify those results? Probably no one. If you really want to be safe, stop vaping and stop smoking then you will be safe. But I wouldn't trust vendors simply because they put test results out. That might upset some people but the truth is this industry has a lot of new money floating around and some vendors will do whatever they can to make a buck or two.

sevar

Nov 28, 2012
United States
Safe was the wrong word.

What I meant to ask was - if we will collect in one place a list of vendors/flavors where statements have been made about lack of the bad compounds - DA, AP, etc.

There have been attempts in the past to do that, with varying results. For me, that's too much for me to ask of someone. So I figured if I got a list from folks who've already gone that path, it would give me a good starting point to do my own digging/asking. Hence this thread,

Mazinny

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 25, 2013
NY
So far, the only known way to get buttery or creamy flavors in a vape is using the big 3 diketones.
Nicoticket has an advisory on all the juices they use that contain any questionable compounds (like acetoin and AP, the safer alternatives to diacetyl), and do not use diacetyl.

Acetoin may not be as problematic as diacetyl, but ap is pretty much identical to diacetyl from a molecular viewpoint according to both Dr. Farsalinos and Dr, Gilman, with likely the same potential for harm.

Mazinny

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 25, 2013
NY
Regular e-liquid is usually cheaper, low quality liquids generally made in China. These liquids may contain harmful chemicals such as Diacetyl and Acetoin. Its better to pay a little bit more and get premium liquids.

Diketones are used for the specific flavor they impart, it's not a cost cutting measure. Most of the so called premium liquids ( custards, creams, vanillas, butterscotch etc... ) likely contain diketones. One specific premium vendor who claimed no diketones, had their juice tested by at least two different labs and were found full of diketones.

It's certain flavors that are problematic, it's not a China vs. U.S. issue.

Tennjed

Dec 8, 2014
There are some vendors who have gone the extra to reformulate their recipes to remove those ingredients. Your blanket statement of "the only known way" is inaccurate.

Safe according to what? The vendor? While I'm sure there are some vendors out there that post legit results, there will probably be just as many posting non legit results or results that don't tell the entire story simply to be on a "safe list" and to get business, and who will verify those results? Probably no one. If you really want to be safe, stop vaping and stop smoking then you will be safe. But I wouldn't trust vendors simply because they put test results out. That might upset some people but the truth is this industry has a lot of new money floating around and some vendors will do whatever they can to make a buck or two.
It doesnt have to be all or nothing, just because someone wants to be safer doesnt mean they should quit. If all we can have now is a list of people claiming to not have these chemicals then that is a start. It might lead to them being held accountable and we all benefit.

But the idea that if you are concerned and want to start a process of improving then you should just quit because it is not perfect is odd. It doesnt have to be all or none

Maybe a list on the largest internet vaping forum can help lead to self regulation by our community and help keep uncle sam out of it

Last edited:

Elokin6

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 21, 2009
Miami
I've tried three of the custards from The Vapor Bar and they're pretty good. The vanilla flavor is a little lighter than I like, but it's a nice mild ADV. Their blackberry custard (called Night Phantom or something like that) is pretty darn good. Very heavy on the blackberry though.

The Strawberry Brulee from Mountain Oak Vapors is freaking great. I need to reorder it.

The Juice Mafia
is another company that is testing their liquids. I don't know that they've tested them all yet, but they have links to lab reports in the description of some of their juices. I haven't tried any of them so I cannot comment on the quality.

ETA: Mountain Oak Vapors recently released a diketone free custard line too. I haven't tried any of them yet, but am really looking forward to it.

Mazinny

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 25, 2013
NY
Give ITCVapes | Gourmet e-Juice Priced Affordably a try.
The folowing statment comes from their site.

"All of our blends are created with the highest quality ingredients. Our nicotine, which can also be found in several very high end juice lines, is some of the cleanest and clearest nicotine available. We use 100% USP Kosher non-GMO Vegetable Glycerin and 100% USP Kosher Propylene Glycol. All of our flavoring comes from companies that have stated that their product is diacetyl free."

I hope its save, I really enjoy their custard #3.

Flavor houses have lied about this issue in the past and specifically came up with acetyl propyniol to replace diacetyl with, when they were caught.
I wrote ITC an email ( as i did to many others ) and they stated that they don't know about other diketones in the flavors, and they do not test themselves, nor have any plans to do so.

I am not saying that their juice is unsafe, but i would be surprised if their custards ( and some other sweet flavors ) are diketone free.

Elokin6

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 21, 2009
Miami
Flavor houses have lied about this issue in the past and specifically came up with acetyl propyniol to replace diacetyl with, when they were caught.
I wrote ITC an email ( as i did to many others ) and they stated that they don't know about other diketones in the flavors, and they do not test themselves, nor have any plans to do so.

I am not saying that their juice is unsafe, but i would be surprised if their custards ( and some other sweet flavors ) are diketone free.

I think one of the key takeaways from Dr. F's study is that flavor houses are not to be trusted when it comes to diketones.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread