Z atty pro or?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rook45

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 5, 2013
I would recommend an RSST as a starter rba. It is about $30.

Tapped out

X2 the problem IMO with rba is you really can't go back once you get accustomed to an RBA's draw. So I would suggest trying out the IBTanked cartos that you have coming 1st. I just ordered an IBTanked and people keep telling me I'm moving backwards and I won't like it because I've already started down the RBA route. We'll see

Jon

dam718

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2012
Hawaii
I would second the RSST as a first Genny style RBA. It's almost "fool proof" in that it is nearly impossible to ground out a SS Mesh wick. It is insulated at the base of the tank, and insulated where it passes through the top of the tank. A lot of the issues beginners have with Genny RBA's is that the wick is shorting out the coils, especially if it's not oxidized well. I personally prefer SS Mesh on a Genny, and just bought an RSST myself, even though I know how to oxidize and build without shorting... Having that peace of mind that you really can't mess it up is a nice benefit. With a 1.2 Ohm coil, you can get a Genny to sing on a ProVari, even though the mech faithful would suggest otherwise...

Big Orange Country

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 10, 2013
The South
X2 the problem IMO with RBA is you really can't go back once you get accustomed to an RBA's draw. So I would suggest trying out the IBTanked cartos that you have coming 1st. I just ordered an IBTanked and people keep telling me I'm moving backwards and I won't like it because I've already started down the RBA route. We'll see

Jon

If a carto is primed correctly, you will get good flavor from it. I'm a total believer in the Kayfun/Russian RTAs, but my carto tanks still get used and I still enjoy the flavor that I get from them.

Stryfox I agree with Rook, give the IBTank a shot and see how you like it. If after that you decide to move on, then I'm going to buck the trend here and say go straight to an RTA. You can pick up a Russian 91 for under a $100 and KFL+ for $100. Neither one will disappoint and both have the advantage of having air control on the tank to adjust the draw to your liking and the builds are very easy. Watch a couple of videos on youtube about how to build micro coils and you will be off and running.

wonner

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 13, 2013
USA
I too think the rsst is a better buy than a zap. It's really easy to set up. You don't have to use mesh.. I use micro coils and cotton in mine and it works just as good (imo) than mesh.

You don't have to use mesh in a Z-Atty Pro either. I use ceramic, and there is plenty of documentation around for people who have used silica, cotton, etc. with good results.

donnah

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2010
Albemarle, North Carolina
You don't have to use mesh in a Z-Atty Pro either. I use ceramic, and there is plenty of documentation around for people who have used silica, cotton, etc. with good results.

Yea.. I use micros and cotton in my DIDs too. The zap would be perfect for a micro with cotton due to the tank being removable without having to disturb the coil.. would make it really easy to pull the cotton down through the coil. Kinda makes me wish I had never traded my zap.

mackman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2013
NorCal
Just did tons of reading on the kayfun lite3.1 and russian91.
Seem to be out of stock everywhere which I guess gives me more time to research and see what else looks like I might "need"

I had a ZAP and while it is a fine and beautiful atty it was just to airy for me and had to do the "gennie tilt" and couldn't lay it down. So I got a Tobeco Kayfun Lite just to see what all the fuss was about and while not the finest machining it is simple to build, hits like a beast has fantastic flavor and can lay it down. For $40 it was a bargain.

sawlight

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2009
Kansas
I would recommend an RSST as a starter RBA. It is about $30.

Once you master that, get a KFL+. Cheaper than the ZAP and much better.

Or you can go straight to the KFL. The ZAP is just not as good an atty, in my opinion. In fact, it's not even close.

Tapped out

Just curious, what problems did you have with the ZAP? I have an AGA-T and a mini DID clone, pulled most of my hair out trying to get them to work! Built a ZAP easy peasy!

This! I think I've finally found my bliss, after all these years! I didn't like that the SS would taint my juice, overnight even, making it darker and changing the flavor! I talked to another member here and he suggested using silica, I thought he was nuts and didn't try it for a long time. That was a dumb move on my part! Finally, out of desperation, I tried it and LOVE it! I've run a good 30ml through this build so far!
Yes, the ZAP is airy, I like a tighter draw myself! I did the scotch tape trick, put some scotch tape inside the top cap and poke a hole with a small syringe, or paper clip and vape away. It lasts a lot longer than you would think! I've since taken that tape out and am learning to take long slow drags and getting better at enjoying it for what it is. Not going to say the hole wont get closed up, but I'm trying to work with it.
So far, this has been as close to bliss as I've gotten!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread