• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

ZAP or Cobra???

Status
Not open for further replies.

NickFit

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 29, 2012
Newfoundland
Hey everyone... So I have been debating which product to "try" to purchase for awhile now and have read a fair bit about each one and would like to see if anyone has tried either or both.

From what I have read/watched, both perform really well but have some differences. The ZAP is more airy than the Cobra, and of course the ZAP is much harder to get your hands on. With the Cobra you can setup a double wick, from what I have seen people are using a u-shaped wick, upside down u shape from inside of tank up out of the tank and back down into the tank again. I'm not sure I would even attempt it or if it would be worthwhile. I hear the vapour production on the ZAP is better and the throat hit is better on the Cobra. Also, stiffer draw on the Cobra. The Cobra is lighter since it is made from titanium as well.

What do people know about them? Anyone ever had the privledge of trying both? What are the draws like on either compared to the Vivi Novas? I have a DID clone on the way to attempt the SS mesh and coils... but I usually use the Vivi Novas and if you could compare the draw of either to a Vivi Nova it would be great.

Last edited:

NickFit

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 29, 2012
Newfoundland
if all you have done is vivis i would battle with the did or aga-t before droppin the bucks..the cheaper will most likely perform just as well..all dependant on your prep wick and coil

I have a DID clone on the way, I want to research the Cobra and the ZAP now for future purchase. I prefer the look and quality of the ZAP or Cobra as well. Have you tried either one and have a preference?

JollyRogers

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2009
Virginia
You've done some research, which is nice. I have tried both the ZAP and the Cobra. Cobra wins for keeping it light and having more flexibility with the atty chamber (dual wick/coil, U-wick), and the ZAP wins for integrating nicely with the ProVari. I have never tried a vivi nova though, so can't compare to that. Both are great atomizers to run on the ProVari, though making it rather large IMO. I think you would be happy with either one TBH.

NickFit

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 29, 2012
Newfoundland
You've done some research, which is nice. I have tried both the ZAP and the Cobra. Cobra wins for keeping it light and having more flexibility with the atty chamber (dual wick/coil, U-wick), and the ZAP wins for integrating nicely with the ProVari. I have never tried a vivi nova though, so can't compare to that. Both are great atomizers to run on the ProVari, though making it rather large IMO. I think you would be happy with either one TBH.

Thanks JollyRogers... any major differences in the vapour production? I don't really like the tighter draw of a Stardust and I am afraid that the Cobra may be as tight. Ever tried the Stardust?

JollyRogers

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2009
Virginia
I have. It isn't that tight (IMO of course). Both can produce mounds of tasty vapor. The open draw of the ZAP makes that a little easier though. It really comes down to setup. Both are great IMO. A friend of mine has both, he thinks the Cobra is easier to setup for some reason and loves the weight. I think they are both are about the same. I setup his ZAP for him and he fell in love with and bought another (BTW, he has had a ZEN & ZAG and dumped them, but loves the ZAP). It comes down to weight, draw, setup, and integration with your device. What do you want in an atty. Even if you bought both to compare yourself, you could sell either one after making a decision.

NickFit

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 29, 2012
Newfoundland
Thanks a lot JollyRogers!

From what I have already read, and now from what you have told me, I am really leaning towards the Cobra. I hadn't heard about the leaking problem some people have with the ZAP... I have a sealed 510-510 adapter coming to me that I could use for that. I guess I want good vapour, medium draw, light weight and easier setup. Cobra seems to fit the bill. I really want to get into SS mesh as I have read some negative things about silica (at least negative health possibilities) and I am also going to give cotton a try too. I do have a Provari that I use with a 18650 battery, so it is going to be a billy-club! :) I like the weight of the Cobra and think maybe it is less susceptible to dents as it is made of titanium (not that I would ever drop it!).

It is out of stock right now, but from what I have heard from a very good source, their stock is about to get pretty large. I could have bought one of the last Cobra's a few days ago but as usual I over analyze things... no rush, I plan on practicing with the DID clone first. If I can get that going, the Cobra should be easier from what I hear. I have read that the ZAP is going to be stocked more frequently soon as well, not sure how much truth there is to that though.

gmypc

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 16, 2012
GTA, ON
I've been following provari's facebook page and they are kinda doing updates in the comments. Seems like they were expecting the shipments since yesterday.

Also, it looks like a lot of people are getting ready to order as soon as they make the announcement.

I'll try to update this thread if I see any announcement.

ProVape, Inc. :: Was waiting for mail delivery today..nothing yet. Shipments are taking longer due to holidays. We will try again tomorrow
3 hours ago

I'm also interested in the zap but not in a rush. I've been playing with a cheap DiD clone and using it as my main apv for 2 weeks. It has a VERY open draw because I used too big of a drill bit when I relocated the air hole. I also noticed there is an area inside the top cap that shows the bare brass(?) metal. Can't be good but will be giving it a rest once I get my next one (zap or aga-t).

NickFit

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 29, 2012
Newfoundland
I've been following provari's facebook page and they are kinda doing updates in the comments. Seems like they were expecting the shipments since yesterday.

Also, it looks like a lot of people are getting ready to order as soon as they make the announcement.

I'll try to update this thread if I see any announcement.

I'm also interested in the zap but not in a rush. I've been playing with a cheap DiD clone and using it as my main apv for 2 weeks. It has a VERY open draw because I used too big of a drill bit when I relocated the air hole. I also noticed there is an area inside the top cap that shows the bare brass(?) metal. Can't be good but will be giving it a rest once I get my next one (zap or aga-t).

The provape website is saying tomorrow... I think I am going to go with the Cobra though. Apparently if you want a ZAP, you better start stalking the Provape page constantly tomorrow morning as last time they had them they were gone in a hour or two. The expected arrival date was the 15th last week and now says the 14th.

I am going to try out the DID clone, but I will buy a Cobra once they are available again. It shouldn't be too hard, they are supposed to be getting in a lot of them. The AGA-T version 2 is also supposed to come out within a few weeks and I'll be in on the co-op for that one. The version 2 is all stainless like the first but now the center post is stainless, also has o-rings for the top cap which means no more problems lining up the air hole, and an unthreaded tank so it can be replaced with pyrex. Sounds good to me!

gmypc

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 16, 2012
GTA, ON
Been lurking - lots of good insights. Thanks to everyone.

I did do a bit of research on the cobra. The thing that stood out for me was the titanium. The other was how it allows for multiple configurations. I could be wrong but I also got the impression that the zap might have better after sales 'support' seeing that it US made. (cobra's from siam mods / Thailand?)

Thanks to this thread, I'll have to do a bit more re-thinking (and do a quick search for zap leaks - I've seen posts here and there about how easily the zap's top cap comes off)

Zap's on sale tomorrow @ 12 PST and the cobra on Sat. I won't glue myself to the computer or get into a frenzy but I'll try after I finish my usual 'Burrito Friday' late lunch.

Darkside77

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2011
Bruno SK
I have both as well as many many more different ones. For me if you are looking at buying only 1 high end genny then the Cobra is the only choice. The build quality is second to none it is a very easy setup and a all round amazing vape. It is very light weight but solid the fact that it can be twin wicked gives more options as well as there are multiple tank options available for the cobra. Do not get me wrong I love my Z-attys but the Cobra is a better built, better designed, better supported, more available unit and it still looks awesome on the Provari.
12.jpg

gmypc

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 16, 2012
GTA, ON
Wow, looks like a lot of people are for the cobra. Too late for me - I guess I have to get both :)

Finished a meeting at 3pm, grabbed a coffee and went to provape's website. The zap was still available but took my time to see what else I needed (maybe secretly hoping that it would be sold out when I check out). 5 mins later, order accepted :ohmy:

Guess I'm lucky coz I heard that they sold out in 30-40 mins.

No regrets, but a bit of guilt knowing I don't 'deserve' a zap yet. In the end, it came down to how it's designed to give the provari a hybrid look. But with parts like these coming out recently, any rba would look nice on a provari. (I feel things are really moving so fast)

NickFit -we should compare notes in the future... good luck, hope you get yours tomorrow!

NickFit

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 29, 2012
Newfoundland
I have both as well as many many more different ones. For me if you are looking at buying only 1 high end genny then the Cobra is the only choice. The build quality is second to none it is a very easy setup and a all round amazing vape. It is very light weight but solid the fact that it can be twin wicked gives more options as well as there are multiple tank options available for the cobra. Do not get me wrong I love my Z-attys but the Cobra is a better built, better designed, better supported, more available unit and it still looks awesome on the Provari.
View attachment 160428

Thanks for the review Darkside77... another glowing review for the Cobra, my mind is made up!

Wow, looks like a lot of people are for the cobra. Too late for me - I guess I have to get both :)

Finished a meeting at 3pm, grabbed a coffee and went to provape's website. The zap was still available but took my time to see what else I needed (maybe secretly hoping that it would be sold out when I check out). 5 mins later, order accepted :ohmy:

Guess I'm lucky coz I heard that they sold out in 30-40 mins.

No regrets, but a bit of guilt knowing I don't 'deserve' a zap yet. In the end, it came down to how it's designed to give the provari a hybrid look. But with parts like these coming out recently, any rba would look nice on a provari. (I feel things are really moving so fast)

NickFit -we should compare notes in the future... good luck, hope you get yours tomorrow!

Nice score gympc! Yes, you are lucky then. I was in a teleconference meeting all day with the boss and another office...had a break around 2pm and I checked for fun and noticed that it still said out of stock, now the ZAP listing is gone altogether... like you, I probably would have bought it if I had the chance... hard to pass up when something is so scarce. Oh well, I am set on the Cobra now anyways... all these great reviews are just making it easier. I checked the alba site earlier and it said stock was at 1... I guess they are adding stock as they build them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread