Zenith tank

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Could well be a form of Vapor's Tongue since you are still dual using and haven't given your taste buds time to heal from years of smoking.

Coils should last about 2 weeks if not longer.

What flavors are you using? Sweet or dark colored flavors tend to gunk up coils faster than clear liquids without sweeteners.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I have a zenith which is terrific but I seem to lose flavor in five to six days on a coil. Is it vapor tongue or am I just going through coils. The coils are cheap and I don' mind. Im still fairly new on vaping, and still a dual user.

It's hard to say when Coils are Measured in Days. Because some people Vape 5ml/day. Other use 25ml's in 24 Hours. And the Range of Wattages that people use is pretty wide.

And if that Didn't make it Complicated enough, a Heavily Flavored/Sweetened e-Liquid will Gunk Up a Coil MUCH Faster than e-Liquid that has a Small amount of Flavoring/Sweetener.

If the Flavor comes back if you Replace the Coil, then it is the Coil getting Old.

If the Flavor Doesn't come back with a New Coil, then it could be "Vaper's Tongue".

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I am using a tobacco flavor called Virginia flake, it' a ry4. Probably would be considered somewhat dark, has Carmel and vanilla flavoring. Does completely quitting help with your tasetebids, also drinking water help. I'm a avid mt dew drinker.
That flavor could be classified as a coil killer in my opinion. Dark tobacco flavor and carmel/vanilla (sweet). Yup.

Most folks' sense of taste and sense of smell improve greatly once they have stopped smoking. I can recall not needing to spice my food so much after I stopped smoking. I remember walking outside of my apartment after a gentle rain and smelling the deep earthy smell of moist earth and grass; I hadn't smelled that aroma since I had begun smoking 30 years before.

Drinking plenty of fluids will help detox the thousands of chemicals that are in tobacco smoke and accumulated within your body. Pg and Vg in the e-liquid also can dry out your mouth, so we typically recommend increasing fluid intake to compensate for that.

Last edited:

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I can only speak for my own smell and tastebuds, and I will say, I had NO IDEA food tasted SO GOOD. LOL.

What usually happens (to some vapers) is that once they halt dual use, their "damaged" tastebuds are replaced with new healthy ones, and during the die off is often when vaper's tongue will occur.

Wattage also matters, and how much you chain vape, not just juice. Heat kills coils.

I will say, personally, that I find the Zenith coils to have immense longevity, I've even run storebought juice down in my first coil in an attempt to get it to die. It won't. LOL. I am still on my first coil. Of note, if you are using the 1.6 coil you may find flavor changes after a few tanks, but it's actually the coil "breaking itself in". So, some flavor change would be expected, although I'd kind of imagine seeing it go in the opposite direction.... The 0.8 coil is supposed to taste good right out of the gate.

I will say, your juice is a known coil killer, that is going to be gunky. You could play with airflow and wattage, to see if you can get any coil improvements, or try rotating setups if you chain vape.

I'd encourage good mouth hygiene and a tongue scraper, as well as possibly biotene mouthwash if you find vaping is drying out your system at first (it can do so, fairly easily) and make sure you stay hydrated. You can also try some less gunky juice.

Now that my tastebuds have returned and I DIY, I use a ton less sweetener and flavoring than in storebought juices. I find most storebougth overflavored and chemical tasting, so I mix to my own palate's preferences. It may be something you want to consider down the road.

Best of luck, and I hope you find some ways to increase your coil's life.

Anna

darkrose

Oct 23, 2014
East Ridge, TN
It' definitely me and my tastebuds. It's really drying me out. Water does help, I'm going to start using hard candy to. One of my major hurdles right now is at work, where I can' chain vape. I have even thought about using nicotine gum at work instead of smoking analogs. I absolutely love the zenith, so I will continue to use it. And before this my coils lasted so I definitely think it's my mouth.

Reactions: stols001

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA

darkrose

Oct 23, 2014
East Ridge, TN
My flavor is generally great (some of my DIY mix's suck). I vape RDA's and clean the gunk off the coil and change the rayon wick every other vape. Nothing like a clean coil and new wick for great taste.
re: Drip Vaping: Your Guide to Dripping e-Juice | Vape-Resource.com
I love my juice so even if I go through more coils, I don' see myself changing right now. I don' know anything about doing my own juice or coils. I might get into that later. I changed the coils, and right now the flavor is good. But they do seem to get kinda muted over time. But it could also be me. I use 9 mgs of nicotine on 12.9 watts. At this point just wished I could get to completely quitting and just vaping.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
We get three breaks a day. Two ten min and a half hour lunch. I could possibly sneak but it' hard to stick to the vaping there. Cause after a couple of hours, I'm really craving that nicotine.

Gotcha.

I would Never advise someone to Vape at Work if vaping Isn't Allowed. Because a Job is (usually) worth more than a Vape.

darkrose

Oct 23, 2014
East Ridge, TN
Gotcha.

I would Never advise someone to Vape at Work if vaping Isn't Allowed. Because a Job is (usually) worth more than a Vape.
There's actually alot of ppl who vape at my workplace, some that use chewing tobacco(which truly irratated me, cause they are allowed to chew on the job). And some that smoke. To occasionally sneak outside for a vape would be ok. I just got to get to the point, of no cigs at all. I'm closer to that point now, I like my setup and my juice. Which is saying alot cause finding a good mtl tank is hard thease days.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
... To occasionally sneak outside for a vape would be ok. I just got to get to the point, of no cigs at all. I'm closer to that point now, I like my setup and my juice. Which is saying alot cause finding a good mtl tank is hard thease days.

Trust Me. You'll get there.

Have you Tried bringing a slightly Higher Nicotine Level to work than you Normally Vape?

Perhaps that would Help ease the Cravings?

• Agree

Newmikey

Feb 26, 2018
I have a zenith which is terrific but I seem to lose flavor in five to six days on a coil. Is it vapor tongue or am I just going through coils. The coils are cheap and I don' mind. Im still fairly new on vaping, and still a dual user.
Sounds like my own experience up to a week or six ago. All I can say is to not get stuck to what others claim to be coil lifespan. As already noted by others, there are far too many variables to make any kind of average statement. I've got some apple in my Zenith and have the coil in there since 7 days with no signs of flavor-loss yet but apple looks like it's almost a transparent and semi colorless juice. On my other tank (a Prism T20S) I'd been vaping pineapple/mint and I replaced a coil today after 12 days. But on my third tank (NautilusX) I've been vaping a banana/chocolate flavor and that coil was done for in 5 days flat.

I'd just take the pragmatic approach: if the coil seems like it's losing taste and not producing as much vapor as before, dump it and replace with a new one which as you said are still way cheaper than cigarettes. I find diminishing throathit the surest indicator of end-of-life for a coil. Just play it by taste!

Last edited:

darkrose

Oct 23, 2014
East Ridge, TN
I think your right. It' funny cause I change the coil. And when you first smoke it, it' like you have to beat it up a little, then you hit a sweet spot and it' great but after five or six days, the taste just kinds gets weak, and the vapor production goes down a little. I really don' mind some extra coils cause this tank is terrific. And for five coils, it' ten dollars. You can' beat the price. It' all a learning experience for me yet.

r77r7r

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    I am using a tobacco flavor called Virginia flake, it' a ry4. Probably would be considered somewhat dark, has Carmel and vanilla flavoring. Does completely quitting help with your tasetebids, also drinking water help. I'm a avid mt dew drinker.
    As a RY4 user, there are probably several versions still out there one of which might be kinder to your coils. You can start a thread here asking for that to narrow things down. Who knows, you might like it better than what you have now. gl

• Useful
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread