ZMax V2 in a Box Mod

Status
Not open for further replies.

breaktru

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
zmax01.jpg

ZMax V2 with choice of RMS or standard Voltage output.
Choice of Wattage or Voltage Adjustment via Menu setting
Li-Po 20C battery
USB Charging
Compact box form

zmax02.jpg
zmax03.jpg

Menu Options:

1.Uu Adjust Voltage or Wattage Up

2.Ud Adjust Voltage or Wattage Down

3.So
S.on = Turns your device on.
S.oF = Turns your device off.

4.Uc Check voltage of battery

5.dS Will display 1 of these selections every time you push the "vape" button, depending upon which one you select that you want shown?
do = Display atomizer/cartomizer output voltage
du = Display battery output voltage
dR = Display atomizer/cartomizer resistance

6.Lo
L.on = Turns your LED on.
L.oF = Turns your LED off.

7.UP Voltage or Power
Uo = Constant Voltage operation
Po = Constant Power (wattage) operation

8.NR Choice of V1 or V2 operation
RNS = This selection gives you the "RMS" accurate output results of the upgraded V2.
NEA = This selection gives you the "MEAN" less accurate output, but higher power results of the previous V1.

Thanks to my buddy who gifted me the ZMax controller, I was able to make this mod.

breaktru

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Great breaktru, the only thing different I would do is put the charge plug off the side so it can stand vertical while charging. Great recycle... Looking forward to your DNA 20. I will put mine in the dual 18650 case, really like the feel of the oval box.

Thanks BJ. This box has the opening for a USB on the bottom and by making the socket flush with the outside of the box, I am able to stand the box up.
The DNA20 screen is tiny. It is the exact viewable screen size as my MCU/oLed for the DNA mod.
mcu_dna_display2.jpg

Last edited:

breaktru

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nice and little to. The box mod I tried, don't own one YET, knocked
over too easy sitting up. I found it safer to lay it down

Thanks Fay.
Stop flailing your arms around and it won't be knocked over. Ya got to sit still

Flailing Definition:
To move vigorously or erratically; thrash about

breaktru

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I haven't tried the Kick but I can say the ZMax V2 controller works very well.
Last week someone sent me 2 Smok ZMax V1's to repair w/ the upgrade V2 controllers.
Taking them apart, I noticed that the wiring was rather light gauge for the amperage. When I built mine in a box, I used 20 gauge wire.

I would check the battery spring and make sure it had enough pressure for a good contact point. Maybe also clean it off w/ an abrasive.
You can only test for a voltage drop (under load) if you have an RMS voltmeter. Also make sure your battery can handle the load.

I know it's new. You may want to send it back.

bapgood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 16, 2012
Utah
I haven't tried the Kick but I can say the ZMax V2 controller works very well.
Last week someone sent me 2 Smok ZMax V1's to repair w/ the upgrade V2 controllers.
Taking them apart, I noticed that the wiring was rather light gauge for the amperage. When I built mine in a box, I used 20 gauge wire.

I would check the battery spring and make sure it had enough pressure for a good contact point. Maybe also clean it off w/ an abrasive.
You can only test for a voltage drop (under load) if you have an RMS voltmeter. Also make sure your battery can handle the load.

I know it's new. You may want to send it back.

I have read a couple of zmax post for people saying the same things....fluttery power, delay on/off the button. I found a new thing when I pulled the battery out of the zmax to check the spring....if you change the menu so that is shows resistance it switches back to the default setting after changing the battery.

IMO the overall quality of the zmax is good. I just don't think the power is being applied as smooth as the kick, and I'm kind of surprised that you didn't notice that.....makes me wonder if there is a lot of variation between units.

Most of what I have read says that the fluttery power is most noticeable in cart's.....I'm still trying to get a genisis type setup I like and I have a Odysseus clone coming to try also, so it will see a little more use before I write it off completely.

I'm using high drain IMR 18650 batteries, plenty of spring pressure, and I scuffed up the spring for good measure. I really think it working like its supposed to and maybe I'm being a little .... about it.

bapgood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 16, 2012
Utah
The so called fluttering power is PWM - Pulse width Modulation, hence my statement about using an RMS meter.

I agree.....my thinking is that the kick is pulsing at quicker intervals....I'm on vacation until the second, but it would be interesting to get one of electrical guys at my work to hook up the oscilloscope and see what each is doing.

breaktru

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I agree.....my thinking is that the kick is pulsing at quicker intervals....I'm on vacation until the second, but it would be interesting to get one of electrical guys at my work to hook up the oscilloscope and see what each is doing.

The DNA's do not use PWM. Not sure what the Kick uses.
Would be interesting to see what the scope says.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread