ZNA 30 constantly rebooting

Status
Not open for further replies.

hardCor15t

Aug 14, 2014
Florida
Curious to know if anyone owns a zna and is having problems with theirs rebooting even with a pretty fresh battery.

I've used new VTC5s and AW IMR 18650s and 18490s and it happens with all of them. Has happened with .5, 1.0 and my current 1.7 ohm single coil. I'll focus on the 1.7: I try vaping between 20-24 watts and on a fresh battery it works fine. Once the battery gets to 3.9/4.0v it just reboots and will not fire. Turn down the wattage by 1 watt or so and ill get maybe one pull and it does it again, rinse and repeat with the 1 watt decrease.. I simply can't get any battery to go below 3.8v.

Do I have a bad chip? Maybe bad wiring/solder? I've searched high and low and went through the whole thread here on ZNAs and can't find anyone havimg a similar experience.

I just finished disassembling it completely and cleaning all the threads etc with alcohol, problem persists.

At this point I have to assume need to send it in to Zen. Any thoughts? :confused:

Added

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I would contact them and ask them, probably needs to be sent in. The only time I've known the dna 30s to do that is when the battery is too drained to provide the power, which would explain why it goes for an extra pull or two when you drop the wattage down. Though all my dna 30s seem to start doing that around 3.7 and 3.6. I'm not sure about the ZNA itself as I haven't used one. Try contacting them for support and see if it's possible for you to send it in for repairs.

Miata GT

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 28, 2013
Largo, FL
Make sure all your contacts are clean as well. My Big Nasty DNA30 gets cranky when I vape 30w sometimes and if it's not the battery charge then cleaning the contacts generally helps. The DNA is designed to do what it's doing if for some reason it's not able to pull the power called for from the battery.

hardCor15t

Aug 14, 2014
Florida
Update:

Yeah I took it apart completely, top cap and bottom and cleaned every thread, contact and spring thoroughly.

Actually was able to talk to Zen today and he said its either bad batteries or a bad ground which is very rare. Soooo.... I'm going to try 1 more time and buy a new AW 18650 and see what happens. He said it should be discharging down to 3.5v unless you're vaping 10-14 watts in which case it will go to 3.4.

Was really nice too, I chatted with him for about 20 minutes talking sub ohms and what not. Really nice guy :).

realsis

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 8, 2014
California
Hope you get it taken care of. Almost sounds like the battery isn't making proper contact. I say this because that happened to me once before on both my dna 30, and my ipv250. The battery got jolted with a drop in both cases. In my case i just re situated the battery and it never happened again on either device. So make sure that's not the case. Whatever the cause, hopefully you can get it squared away soon. Best wishes.

hardCor15t

Aug 14, 2014
Florida
are your batterys old, I have some AW's that are 6 months old and don't work in it. the chip looks at the battery to see how good it is and if it doesn't like it , it does not fire. just got some vtc'5 two weeks ago and the ZNA is working just fine!:2c:

I didn't think so but he asked what sticker I had on the AWs and they were black with a silver border. Apparently AWs been shipping them with a hologram sticker since January. So I ordered some new ones to see. Odd thing is, the VTC 5s are new for sure because I just got em a few weeks ago. Now Im questioning whether those are authentic :(.

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
I didn't think so but he asked what sticker I had on the AWs and they were black with a silver border. Apparently AWs been shipping them with a hologram sticker since January. So I ordered some new ones to see. Odd thing is, the VTC 5s are new for sure because I just got em a few weeks ago. Now Im questioning whether those are authentic :(.

Where are you buying your batteries?

hardCor15t

Aug 14, 2014
Florida
Just bought a new set of AW iMR from RTDvapor just to be 100% sure they were authentic. Contacts cleaned. Still reboots and sometimes very frequent. I get the sense that there is nothing that can be done to make this ZNA reliable. Sigh.

Whats your current setup. Single or dual coil? How many ohms? how many watts? How lows the battery get voltage wise when the device starts rebooting?

hardCor15t

Aug 14, 2014
Florida
.6 ohm with 13 watt so the regulation is going to 3.2v. Dual coil, but this is not an agressive build. The battery is still showing over half on the display, but I have not metered it. Using a z2 zenesis tank with ceramic wick, with a little cotton around it to even things out for wicking to the coil.

That could be your issue then. The DNA 30 is designed to work from 4-8.3 volts.

http://evolvapor.com/datasheet/dna30.pdf

MemphisRib

Verified Member
Mar 23, 2012
Memphis, TN
I've been cranking it up to 20w just to see if the problem is a 4v low end but that does not seem improve behavior. Resets are more frequent at higher voltage/wattage. Same batteries, same usage profile in a couple of worn Hana mods with dna30 chips does not exhibit the same malfunction.

What is the best way to reach the man himself? I assume he does not monitor these forums.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread