A question for noobs by a noob...eVic or Provari?

Status
Not open for further replies.

smillett_vox

Verified Member
Mar 31, 2013
Vernon, CT, USA
okay so here goes the tired question once again...eVic or Provari?
Now many of you are going to tell me to stop being a noob and search. Well, I have and they all say Provari. But that's not really the question i'm asking at all.

i'm asking this question for myself and all the noobs out there who want to get away from their eGo's and simpler batteries and get into the wonderful world of mods. so when it comes to mods, should a beginner go for an eVic because of its ease to use and understand, but sacrifice performance? or spring for the Provari and get better performance but also a less user-friendly device?

also, which is more durable and reliable? which is the best bang for the buck?

thanks,
-Steve
:vapor:

Hey Steve, it sounds like you are looking for an Electronic Variable Voltage mod. They are good mod's and there are many to choose from. Provari's are going to go for 150+ while you can get the eVic for around $100. On the lower end there are eGo twist which is also an electronic VV mod and alot cheaper. I prefer Mechanical mods such as Mortar v5, Poldiac, etc.
Also do you plan on using carto's or RBAs??

Oktyabr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2009
Next to the ocean, WA
oktyabr.wordpress.com
Best bang for the buck? That's easy and it's neither one! In *my opinion* you should consider this: VAMO Variable Volt/Watt APV V2

While I like gee whiz features I am shying away from the eVic due to mixed opinions on their reliability, durability, etc. The Provari is nice and is claimed to be much more durable but bang for the buck? Not a prothingy!

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
Provari is definitely one of the top of the line models. But if I didn't want to spend that level of money, I would not go with a VV like the twist or the ego options. I would choose a variable wattage model such as the eVic. Instead of the $100+ for the eVic, but with a few less whistles, I would consider the power regulated, variable wattage Vamo for $40. (not a noob but hope you don't mind the 2 cents)

Good Luck

Last edited:

Oktyabr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2009
Next to the ocean, WA
oktyabr.wordpress.com
Last edited:

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
I use my Vamo for dripping or High Wattage tanks
I prefer my eVics - Simple to use and efficient. Newest release has been improved for mod strength. Time will tell.
I have so far passed on a Provari as I tend to loose things(some seem to get taken) and I don't want to lose that large an investment.

jxc0175

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 4, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
I bought a Provari and haven't purchased anything since (except a 2nd one). I really wish I would have made it my first device. I would have saved a pant load of money. I don't agree about the Vamo being sturdy. Mine didn't last more than a couple of months and I took pretty good care of it. One drop and it was OV. It stopped working correctly and it wasn't that bad of a drop.

Last edited:

smillett_vox

Verified Member
Mar 31, 2013
Vernon, CT, USA
Hey Steve, it sounds like you are looking for an Electronic Variable Voltage mod. They are good mod's and there are many to choose from. Provari's are going to go for 150+ while you can get the eVic for around $100. On the lower end there are eGo twist which is also an electronic VV mod and alot cheaper. I prefer Mechanical mods such as Mortar v5, Poldiac, etc.
Also do you plan on using carto's or RBAs??
well i actually run a SMOK UDCT on my eGo-C and it works well but i'm just looking for more "oomph" from the battery you know? that being said, i am no electrician and really have no idea how mechanical mods work and i can see myself ruining it or something like that. that's why i'm mainly looking at provari's and evic's (especially the evic because it even recommends what output to use with the atty you have on it)

What exactly is un-user-friendly about a Provari? I figured mine out in about a minute or two. Most of the setting you just set and leave anyways. Never had an Evic so I cannot comment on that.
as far as i can tell just from doing my homework on it, the evic is obviously easier to use than a provari. although almost all of the bells and whistles that the evic has are useless imho, it does have some that could really help a beginner vaper like me learn more about mods and how to use them.

tooflyryguy

• Deleted by classwife
  • Reason: Unregistered Supplier

tooflyryguy

• Deleted by classwife
  • Reason: Unregistered Supplier

tshirtwhore

Moved On
Mar 21, 2013
I went from the ego to the ego twist to my first VV/VW mod very recently. After a ton of research (too much maybe) I settled on the sigelei zmax telescope. Complete kit can be found here and I like the way it will "telescope" up or down to different sizes without swapping tubes. It is very well built. Will I end up with a Provari? Dunno maybe. But I want the jazz pipe first. Dunno if I can post a link yet, but the sigelei zmax telescope in stainless kit is $89 on the varitube site shipped. Complete kit including batteries with charger.

Sigelei Zmax Flat Top Telescope- Complete Kit

Darkhawk

Verified Member
Mar 3, 2013
California
I was in the same boat when I wanted to upgrade from an ego twist. I chose the Provari because it was sturdy, has a 1 year warranty and you can still send it in for repairs even after that. The Vamo seemed like a decent starter too, I just picked one up as a back-up. They're reasonably cheap and I can use the same batteries and charger. Have you considered the Itaste MVP? You can find one for about $50 on sale they come with a set of iclear 16s and you don't need to buy any batteries or a charger. The batteries are hardwired so you can't switch them out, but they last about 3 days and you just plug the unit back in.

tshirtwhore

Moved On
Mar 21, 2013
I'm a noon too, but I wanted more than the ego had to offer. I went with a zmax and am very happy with the results. I still use my ego for work, but the vv/vw is awesome.

Yeah I love mine. Did you get the segelei? Or the SMOK if that is the other brand? I watched a couple "respected" reviewers on youtube and one of them went so far as to say it was a Provari rival. He wasn't reviewing the telescope that I have (newer/newest version I believe I have), but the build quality is great on it. Real sturdy.

And I'm not knocking Provari. I can't. Never held or used one. I just want the jazz pipe REAL bad. So I wanted to spend a bit less now on VV/VW so I can get my Jazz. I will pick up a Provari one day to see what they're all about.

Last edited:

JPinSTL

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 27, 2013
Saint Louis, Missouri, United States
The best advice I've seen on here goes something like "if you're considering the ProVari, just go ahead and buy it. Otherwise you're going to get one of the cheaper ones, and you're still going to end up buying the ProVari eventually. Save the money and buy it first." I did just that, and I am completely happy. The build quality is amazing. It is not difficult to figure out. If you've seen the instruction video, you already know all you need to.

eratikmind

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2013
Las Vegas/San Francisco
Hi, Steve . . . First, welcome to the ECF family.

I quit smoking cigarettes some 5 weeks ago. During that time, I was searching for the best overall vaping experience for myself. As I and many others have made numerous attempts at quitting the analogs, I wanted to afford myself the best possible vaping experience, so that I would stay tobacco free for the rest of my life.

I initially started with the Blu disposables and then moved on to a Blu kit. The Blu helped me stop smoking. Yet, for me, it was still lacking what I was hoping for.

Then I found the ego-c twist combined with clearomizers. This combo gave me a wonderful vaping experience, the best at that point. Yet, I knew there was something better out there.

This past Friday afternoon, I received my provari mini. I set that up with a cartomizer/tank combination and my search had ended. Within minutes, I knew this was what I had been searching and hoping for. I had been smoking cigarettes and cigars for some 30 plus years. Now, I know the chances are excellent that I will never go back to smoking.

Had I purchased an evic, vamo, silver bullet, or any of the other wonderful devices, would I have had the same experience and enjoyment? Perhaps, but I have ended my quest for the time being and I am completely satisfied and thrilled with my choice.

The provari is what works for me. Everyone is different and has different likes and dislikes. That is what is so wonderful about this whole vaping journey. There is something out there for everyone. We are not all the same nor should we be.

Having said all of this, you asked and I offered you my humble opinion. More importantly, you need to find what best fits you to insure your chances of a great vaping experience and staying tobacco free. I trust that you find that . . . Good luck.

Best,

Andy

tshirtwhore

Moved On
Mar 21, 2013
Hi, Steve . . . First, welcome to the ECF family.

I quit smoking cigarettes some 5 weeks ago. During that time, I was searching for the best overall vaping experience for myself. As I and many others have made numerous attempts at quitting the analogs, I wanted to afford myself the best possible vaping experience, so that I would stay tobacco free for the rest of my life.

I initially started with the Blu disposables and then moved on to a Blu kit. The Blu helped me stop smoking. Yet, for me, it was still lacking what I was hoping for.

Then I found the ego-c twist combined with clearomizers. This combo gave me a wonderful vaping experience, the best at that point. Yet, I knew there was something better out there.

This past Friday afternoon, I received my provari mini. I set that up with a cartomizer/tank combination and my search had ended. Within minutes, I knew this was what I had been searching and hoping for. I had been smoking cigarettes and cigars for some 30 plus years. Now, I know the chances are excellent that I will never go back to smoking.

Had I purchased an evic, vamo, silver bullet, or any of the other wonderful devices, would I have had the same experience and enjoyment? Perhaps, but I have ended my quest for the time being and I am completely satisfied and thrilled with my choice.

The provari is what works for me. Everyone is different and has different likes and dislikes. That is what is so wonderful about this whole vaping journey. There is something out there for everyone. We are not all the same nor should we be.

Having said all of this, you asked and I offered you my humble opinion. More importantly, you need to find what best fits you to insure your chances of a great vaping experience and staying tobacco free. I trust that you find that . . . Good luck.

Best,

Andy

Hey Andy, I'm Andy too! And a Giants fan for 40+ years! AND A GIANTS FAN WHO LIVES IN LOS ANGELES!

I agree with Andy, not me Andy, although I agree with myself mostly too. :) But what Andy up there says. I kind of ignored your original question and spouted MY experience and why I made my choice (damn Jazz pipe has me all excited). If you are kind of settled on an eVic vs. Provari, if it were me making the choice between the two, I would DEFINITELY get the Provari. No questions asked. No hesitation. I have not used either, but I had never used an ego or a segelei or a Vivi Nova for that matter. Based on what I hear from others, I would choose the Provari without hesitation in a head to head decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread