Advice on a regulated battery for sub ohm vaping

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bwar503

Jun 13, 2015
So I have been vaping for less than 3 weeks and I have spent over $360 in vape equipment and I'm tired of buying stuff that I immediately want to upgrade! Yes... FAIL! =(

I am currently using the Aspire CF Sub Ohm battery and the Atlantis 2 tank base with the 5ml Atlantis tank upgrade and the 0.3ohm v2.0 atomizers. There are 2 things I am unhappy with but lets start with my unregulated battery voltage and battery life being insufficient.

Being an unregulated battery, my battery performs best when fully charged and loses performance as it discharges. I want 4.2v continuously. Also my 2000mah battery doesn't last all day and would prefer something larger or replaceable. I want something I plug in while I sleep and not worry about over voltage too.

Hoping you experienced vapers can help me find something that I wont hate after I use it..

Cloudmann

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2015
North Charleston, SC
The MVP 3.0 Pro will push that tank/coil combination nicely at 60 watts. The IVP Mini 2 will do well, too at 60-70 watts. Lots of people will say the iStick 50 watt, but 50 watts really won't do it for those coils... you'll need 60 plus watts. Both of these mods are small-ish, but the IPV Mini 2 is smaller. It will require the purchase of a good 18650, though. I recommend the Aspire 40 amp batteries. The MVP Pro 3.0 is bigger, but has GOBS of battery life. Both great mods.

alicewonderland

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2012
if you want battery life, get a dual 18650 regulated mod, theyre bulkier and square but they last throughout the day. I would also suggest using a smart charger (external) like a nitecore d2 charger, they automatically stop charging ur batteries at 4.2v.

i find 1x18650 no matter what mah rating it has is not enough to last me throughout the day, i have to carry around spare batteries or use my sigelei150w (2x18650) if i want it to last throughout the entire day

Reactions: WonderDude32

Cloudmann

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2015
North Charleston, SC
Consider the Joyetech Evic-VT, too. It'll allow you to do temp control in the future (with your existing tank, btw... just need some nickel or titanium coils) and will do regular old wattage regulation for the coils you have out to 60 watts. Might cost a little more than the other two solutions, but it WILL allow for TC vaping in the future, generally looks pretty sexy, gives you a decent spare tank, and has tons of battery life. Pretty small, too, and one of the less expensive TC mods out there.

Last edited:

alicewonderland

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2012
there has been some negative reviews and mishaps going around with the ipv4 usb charging. if you are thinking about an ipv4 id suggest you do some research on it before u purchase. If you do decide to purchase it, it's being suggested that you use external charger for your batteries for the ipv4.

Bwar503

Jun 13, 2015
there has been some negative reviews and mishaps going around with the ipv4 usb charging. if you are thinking about an ipv4 id suggest you do some research on it before u purchase. If you do decide to purchase it, it's being suggested that you use external charger for your batteries for the ipv4.

I want quality hardware.

Cloudmann

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2015
North Charleston, SC
Watts huh.. I have gotten used to thinking volts. Granted its all linked mathematically.
Yep. All wattage regulation breaks down to is on the fly voltage control performed by the chip. Much easier than constantly doing mental vape math, and the regulated wattage is constant and won't drop with battery life.

Bwar503

Jun 13, 2015
The MVP 3.0 Pro will push that tank/coil combination nicely at 60 watts. The IVP Mini 2 will do well, too at 60-70 watts. Lots of people will say the iStick 50 watt, but 50 watts really won't do it for those coils... you'll need 60 plus watts. Both of these mods are small-ish, but the IPV Mini 2 is smaller. It will require the purchase of a good 18650, though. I recommend the Aspire 40 amp batteries. The MVP Pro 3.0 is bigger, but has GOBS of battery life. Both great mods.

Fully charged I am at 58.8 watts currently and I like that config. Is the Mvp 3 regulated?

WonderDude32

ECF Veteran
May 9, 2015
Clarksville, TN
Fully charged I am at 58.8 watts currently and I like that config. Is the Mvp 3 regulated?
This is why a 100 or 150 dual box would work a little better. With a 60 watt mod, you're pushing it to the limit of the device everyday and everytime. I wouldn't drive a car as fast as it goes every time I got behind the wheel so I figure the same sort of applies to my mods.

Reactions: Bwar503

Cloudmann

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2015
North Charleston, SC
Yep. At 58.8 watts, you're just barely pushing that coil into its performance zone. Don't get me wrong, 60 watts is plenty for those coils, but the 58.8 you get right now is only for the first hit. Definitely go regulated. 60-70 watts, constant is prime territory. Hell, I've pushed 80 to those coils with no issues (other than a really warm vape). If you go with the MVP, do yourself a favor and spend the little extra scratch to get the pro version. It's a 60 watt mod with more battery life than the plain jane MVP 3.0.

Bwar503

Jun 13, 2015
If you're doing sub ohm builds, please don't buy Efest batteries. They are rewrapped and not actually rated for what they put on the label. There are quite a few other batteries to choose from, and all of em are better than an efest.

I like replies like this, thank you. Does everyone agree?

alicewonderland

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2012
I want quality hardware.

you can pickup a sigelei 150w and call it a day. 80-90$ quality 150w dual 18650 mod.

theres also the snowwolf 200w that takes 2x18650's as well, it also has temp control if you want to delve into that later, it can be had for 130$-150$, been hearing good reviews on it and have my eye on it for my next purchase

11351594_1401399780187890_582102874_n.jpg

Reactions: Bwar503

Cloudmann

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2015
North Charleston, SC
This is why a 100 or 150 dual box would work a little better. With a 60 watt mod, you're pushing it to the limit of the device everyday and everytime. I wouldn't drive a car as fast as it goes every time I got behind the wheel so I figure the same sort of applies to my mods.
60 watts might push the MVP to its design spec, but it's not the same as pushing a car too hard. The batteries in the MVP can handle substantially more amperage than the device loads them with. The chip simply limits it to 60 watts... by design. Nothing bad's going to happen vaping the box at 60 watts all day... that's what it's built for. And there's a lot to be said for the MVP (and rhe Evic-VT) and the convenience of TONS of battery life built in to the mod without the need to worry aboit swapping out batteries... really, by the time the batteries start having issues, newer, sexier mods with more capability will be on the street.

Reactions: angnjc
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread