Advice on a regulated battery for sub ohm vaping

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bwar503

Jun 13, 2015
you can pickup a sigelei 150w and call it a day. 80-90$ quality 150w dual 18650 mod.

theres also the snowwolf 200w that takes 2x18650's as well, it also has temp control if you want to delve into that later, it can be had for 130$-150$, been hearing good reviews on it and have my eye on it for my next purchase

11351594_1401399780187890_582102874_n.jpg

The pics online are different than your photo?

alicewonderland

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2012
oh no, the sigelei 150 is

segelei150-black-silver_1.jpg

theyre both dual 18650 regulated mods though, but the snowwolf has temperature control and the sigelei doesnt. temperature control is used for nickel builds. Snowwolf can run both nickel and kanthal/nichrome, while the sigelei is just used with kanthal/nichrome (no temperature control)

Reactions: Bwar503

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
So I have been vaping for less than 3 weeks and I have spent over $360 in vape equipment and I'm tired of buying stuff that I immediately want to upgrade! Yes... FAIL! =(

I am currently using the Aspire CF Sub Ohm battery and the Atlantis 2 tank base with the 5ml Atlantis tank upgrade and the 0.3ohm v2.0 atomizers. There are 2 things I am unhappy with but lets start with my unregulated battery voltage and battery life being insufficient.

Being an unregulated battery, my battery performs best when fully charged and loses performance as it discharges. I want 4.2v continuously. Also my 2000mah battery doesn't last all day and would prefer something larger or replaceable. I want something I plug in while I sleep and not worry about over voltage too.

Hoping you experienced vapers can help me find something that I wont hate after I use it..

I'm thinking get yourself an istick, mvp3, or a sigelie, and decide not to buy anything else for 3 months.
OR: standard recommendation for wallet protection: budget HALF of what you used to spend on cigarettes per month towards vape stuff. (the other half gets blown in eliquid or overbudget etc anyway)

Bwar503

Jun 13, 2015
oh no, the sigelei 150 is

segelei150-black-silver_1.jpg

theyre both dual 18650 regulated mods though, but the snowwolf has temperature control and the sigelei doesnt. temperature control is used for nickel builds. Snowwolf can run both nickel and kanthal/nichrome, while the sigelei is just used with kanthal/nichrome (no temperature control)

Whoa next level RTA options for the snow wolf?

Bwar503

Jun 13, 2015
I'm thinking get yourself an istick, mvp3, or a sigelie, and decide not to buy anything else for 3 months.
OR: standard recommendation for wallet protection: budget HALF of what you used to spend on cigarettes per month towards vape stuff. (the other half gets blown in eliquid or overbudget etc anyway)

Lol i spent $30 a month DIY with analogues.. With the learning curve in vaping I spent almost a years worth already...

But thats probably due to my uneducated choices

Last edited:

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Right on, nevermind then. Thanks for the advice
yes we have to try to agree not to be disagreeable

so if
Lol i spent $30 a month DIY with analogues.. With the learning curve in vaping I spent almost a years worth already...

That sounds familiar; back in 2013 when I started it was about a years worth to get started........ I'm not in the USA.

The two most often spoken of regulated mods seem to be the sigelei 150 and the ipv4;
I'm kinda biased towards the sigelei's myself; was my first mod- a steel zmax; it's dead now though if I didn't have a bunch of other stuff I know I could get it to work if I tried

So anyway, for you , one thing you would want to be mindfull of:
- you want a battery with electronics which you will throw away ?
- you want a container with electronics, for a battery (or 2) and you buy your own batteries ?

When people are first starting out , I recommend like the isticks or mvp, but after 6 months to a year, they need to upgrade to a replaceable battery mod for financial reasons.

Bwar503

Jun 13, 2015
yes we have to try to agree not to be disagreeable

so if

That sounds familiar; back in 2013 when I started it was about a years worth to get started........ I'm not in the USA.

The two most often spoken of regulated mods seem to be the sigelei 150 and the ipv4;
I'm kinda biased towards the sigelei's myself; was my first mod- a steel zmax; it's dead now though if I didn't have a bunch of other stuff I know I could get it to work if I tried

So anyway, for you , one thing you would want to be mindfull of:
- you want a battery with electronics which you will throw away ?
- you want a container with electronics, for a battery (or 2) and you buy your own batteries ?

When people are first starting out , I recommend like the isticks or mvp, but after 6 months to a year, they need to upgrade to a replaceable battery mod for financial reasons.

Ideally I want vaping to be as cost effective as possible. My product choices are getting better and more informed but I need to be at max efficiency money wise. I hope to find a quality regulated box mod that takes rechargable/removable batteries, a charger with over volt protection so I can fall asleep and not worry, and a RTA tank where I can build my own coils. From what I read online this is the most cost effective way to vape. This thread is me looking for a battery to fit those needs..

Also, I have already begun to make my own juice. I am at a 3mg 92.5vg/7.5pg which costs about 10 cents per mil.. That was my first mission, battery is mission #2

Reactions: edyle

Bwar503

Jun 13, 2015

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
And it looks way cooler the the segelei. Is nickel coil something I would use in an RTA?

Edit: Duh you said that already.. Oops..

the nickel coils are for 1st generation temperature controlled mods that make use of the properties of nickel to achieve temperature control.

Cloudmann

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2015
North Charleston, SC
Yep. Lots of newer TC mods (like the Evic-VT) support titanium out of the box. Really, any TC mod will do it, so long as you account for the approximately 90 degree diffrential between nickel and titanium coils (drop the desired temp by 90 degrees Farenheit, ie a desired 450 degrees would require setting a ni200 mod to about 360 degrees with a titanium coil installed). Some mods are beginning to support stainless steel (similarly accomplished with a temp diffrential on non-supporting mods) and NiFe30 (honestly not too familiar with it, as it's pretty dificult to acquire).

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
If you're doing sub ohm builds, please don't buy Efest batteries. They are rewrapped and not actually rated for what they put on the label. There are quite a few other batteries to choose from, and all of em are better than an efest.

I like replies like this, thank you. Does everyone agree?
Purple Efest Batteries Not As Advertised

I am only interested in batteries or chragers that do NOT have to be monitored, this is 2015.. Thanks for the post
While there are "smart" or "intelligent" chargers on the market which claim they will stop charging when a battery reaches full charge, electronics can and do fail. Stick with the reputable brands (Pila, Xtar, Nitecore) and buy the best one that you can reasonably afford.

Wise advice is to only charge batteries when they can be monitored. Charging overnight while sleeping doesn't count. If you do this anyway, charge on a flame resistant surface such as a stove top, marble counter top, metal baking pan, or pyrex glass dish to prevent a house fire should the battery/charger fail.

Last edited:

Cloudmann

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2015
North Charleston, SC
Truth be told, though, I prefer ni200 over titanium and stainless. They all do the same thing and nickel is easier to work with. The disadvantages of nickel are that it's a softer metal and is easier to break when building a coil (not an issue if you use prebuilt coils... and honestly, I've never broken a coil during a build) and that you can't build micro coils with it (not an issue for me, as I prefer macro coils). Titanium is springy and stretches back out, requiring torching during a build... bit more difficult to wrap, too. Stainless allows for micro coils, just like titanium, but it's a harder metal and is more difficult to coil than nickel (not as difficult as titanium, though). And it may be mental, but I think ni200 produces superior flavor to the other two metals. Never used NiFe30, so I can't speak to its pros and cons, but it supposedly has all of the advantages of both nickel and stainless, but none of thier disadvantages. We'll see, once it's readily available.

Last edited:

Susan~S

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 12, 2014
Mpls/St.Paul, MN
I am only interested in batteries or chragers that do NOT have to be monitored, this is 2015

Wise advice is to only charge batteries when they can be monitored. Charging overnight while sleeping doesn't count.

Straight, sound advise from @Baditude (one of ECF's most respected battery experts). He has also posted before what can happen when:

1. You carry loose batteries in your pocket/purse and keys/coins short out the battery -- i.e. don't do it.
2. A battery goes into thermal runaway.

Yea, it's 2015.

Most of us who have been around the block a few times (8+ years vaping for me) have learned a thing or two. My first mechanical was in 2009/2010 and used stacked ICR batteries. IMR/IMR hybrid - safe chemistry/high drain batteries didn't exist. The only thing that kept me safe back then was using high resistance cartomizers (2.2Ω was considered low resistance).

Today you would never use loose ICR batteries or use stacked batteries when there are so many other safer alternatives.

Reactions: Baditude

Bwar503

Jun 13, 2015
Purple Efest Batteries Not As Advertised

While there are "smart" or "intelligent" chargers on the market which claim they will stop charging when a battery reaches full charge, electronics can and do fail. Stick with the reputable brands (Pila, Xtar, Nitecore) and buy the best one that you can reasonably afford.

Wise advice is to only charge batteries when they can be monitored. Charging overnight while sleeping doesn't count. If you do this anyway, charge on a flame resistant surface such as a stove top, marble counter top, metal baking pan, or pyrex glass dish to prevent a house fire should the battery/charger fail.

How is it that I can leave my lithium cell phone batteries charging for days with no issues but I have to worry about over charging 18650s? This doesn't make sense to me.. Over volt protection HAS to be a reliable option in modern technology..

Seems the over volt protection in my $5 cell phone battery wall charger works just fine.. <3

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread