Status
Not open for further replies.

Cloudmann

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2015
North Charleston, SC
How is it that I can leave my lithium cell phone batteries charging for days with no issues but I have to worry about over charging 18650s? This doesn't make sense to me.. Over volt protection HAS to be a reliable option in modern technology..
Agreed. But not all manufacturers do this. Most of the unscrupulous ones are in China or elsewhere in Asia where our laws can't touch them here. Stick to the quality brands. And as a side note, lots of mods that use removable batteries offer usb charging. While it's there and might work just fine, it's an option I wouldn't choose. First, It'll take much longer than it would to simply remove the batteries and put them in a charger that can do the job in 1/5 of the time. Second, that puts lots of wear and tear on the charging circuitry in the mod. Best to not do it. The reason phones charge so easily, quickly, readily, and fairly safely is that the batteries in your phone or tablet are NOT high drain batteries. The phone battery doesn't put a monstrous load on the charging circuits, the usb cord, and the wall adapter. High drain 18650's will certainly do that. High amp output requires a higher amp input. Insofar as over charging goes, the 18650's on the market will actually support charging beyond their use limits (with vaping... remember, these are hard core flashlight batteries). Most cheap chargers don't take this into account, since the battery spec wasn't initially designed for use with vaping gear. Again, cheap stuff doesn't work well. And since you're in the hole for $360 already, plus whatever you're going to buy, spend a little extra scratch and get the higher end chargers.

Or get a good all in one like the MVP Pro 3.0 or the Evic-VT and not need to worry about chargers.

Last edited:

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
How is it that I can leave my lithium cell phone batteries charging for days with no issues but I have to worry about over charging 18650s? This doesn't make sense to me.. Over volt protection HAS to be a reliable option in modern technology..
Cell phone batteries can and have exploded. Just Google it. Cell phone explosions

Also consider the size difference of a cell phone battery compared to an 18650 battery. Larger batteries make bigger explosions. Lithium batteries pack a LOT of power in a small place.

phot1o-jpg.255217
full
mod-explosion-1-jpg.426204
pipebombmod1.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Bwar503

jdawg111

Jun 13, 2015
I had the same set up as you and it did great for a tank. But when I built at .3 (as low as the cf would allow) it didn't pump like I liked. I am more of a mech mod guy, however if you are looking into regulated and looking for clouds Id almost suggest not going as high as a 150 watt device. Nobody I know with those devices pushes them that high. A sigelei 100 would be something you can run your tank on and get good clouds as well as battery life without paying for so much extra wattage. 80 watts to a .3 ohm Atlantis coil impressed me.

Bwar503

Jun 13, 2015
Cell phone batteries can and have exploded. Just Google it. Cell phone explosions

Also consider the size difference of a cell phone battery compared to an 18650 battery. Larger batteries make bigger explosions. Lithium batteries pack a LOT of power in a small place.

phot1o-jpg.255217
full
mod-explosion-1-jpg.426204
pipebombmod1.jpg

Graphic images! I guess my point is that I have ALWAYS left my rechargable batteries on the charger for longer than needed and I have never had a single problem. I feel like I should be scared of vaping batteries with these kind of warnings, but I guess it's better than destroying my hand. =)

Thanks for the warning, I will look into a high quality charger with over volt protection from a reputable brand and highly consider charging during the day so I can monitor.

Reactions: Baditude

jdawg111

Jun 13, 2015
Generally speaking overcharging doesn't cause them to explode. Maybe a cheap re wrapped battery could. But batteries have vent holes for that reason. When they explode they are usually in mods and the vent holes vant release the pressure fast enough therefore it explodes. My only worry with over charging is that it takes away MaH's (milliamp hours)

Bwar503

Jun 13, 2015
Generally speaking overcharging doesn't cause them to explode. Maybe a cheap re wrapped battery could. But batteries have vent holes for that reason. When they explode they are usually in mods and the vent holes vant release the pressure fast enough therefore it explodes. My only worry with over charging is that it takes away MaH's (milliamp hours)

These vent holes you speak of are in the battery, mod, or both?

Edit: I guess both would be logical.. =) duh..

SleeZy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 3, 2014
Sweden
Another good advice i could give is when your batteries are fully charged let them sit for 10-15 mins before you use them.
Most vents i've heard about have been when they've recently been charged. Altho this might be less true in a regulated mod, as i use mostly mechs i let them sit just for my own peace of mind. :) (I also check them with Multimeter each charge to look for overcharge)

And you should never charge them over night, failures do happen even to the best equipment.
Even phones has catched fire during charging overnight mostly iphones though.

But all in all, respect and treat the batteries good and you'll be fine. :)

Bwar503

Jun 13, 2015
People have suggested the Segelei 150w and the Snow Wolf 200w..

The Segelei website lacks respectable product descrptions for the 150w. Doesn't show VV limits or battery compatability. Sounds sketchy

As for the snow wolf 200w.. I cant find a manufacturers webpage for this item. Who makes it and stands behind it?

I want to buy a box mod from a manufacturer that will stand behind their product with a website and complete product specs. Is that asking too much?

dchemist

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 3, 2014
Benton, Arkansas
+1 for the Sigelei 150w because I own it. A couple of - points are no TC option and the finicky buttons when adjusting the wattage. Siegeli is a respected name and makes a nice product. There is no on board charging so you will have to buy an external charger. Use some good 20 amp+ batteries (Sony vtc4/vtc5, Samsung 25R, LG he2/he4, etc) and a good charger. Remember that those two batteries become married and are used at the same time and in that device only. Look online and you can get the Sig 150, batteries, and changer for around $100 not including shipping.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread