AGR Carto Tank

Status
Not open for further replies.

Troy421

ECF Veteran
Feb 5, 2013
Westminster,Maryland
Just got 2 agr tanks in from discount vaper an was pumped on using them.Iam having a few problems with it flooding the carto using standard 3ohm cartos.I did not over prime the unit,did not fill the tank through the little fill hole filled it with lid off.been using evolution carto tank for a long time only had flooding issue 1 time. Help

hazozita

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 7, 2013
Virginia
Wish I could help, but I'm having the exact same problem. Gone through 5 cartos so far; all flooding while in use.

The flooding does not occur while filling (I had heard that was a problem) but in actual use. To make sure it was not a carto fault, I took one of the cartos that was flooding in the AGR and put it in a View Valley tank with the same juice. Zero problems. Tried a different one that was flooding in the AGR and tried it in a Boge F15 tank. Again, no problems with flooding.

All of the cartos are Boges (LR, in both standard and XL size).

Hopefully someone has come up with a solution -- will be watching this thread. A shame, since the tank itself looks nice, feels solid, and I love that it comes with two sizes so you can use reg and XL cartos. But if it won't stop flooding, it's useless.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio

Quick question. You said you had previous experience with the evolution tank? Is this the one from Hoosier Vapes? One of the Bella or Ellegance tanks?

I was not completely familiar with an AGR tank other than briefly reading that it is a cartotank that uses a locking device for the carto connector and had a juice feed hole. I took a look at the above PBusardo review to learn more about it.

Phil talked about a potential problem of flooding the cartomizer if the needle insertion technique is incorrectly done when filling the tank through the fill hole. The fill hole must have some room when the needle is inserted to allow the same amount of air leave the tank as there is juice added. Not allowing this to happen will increase the pressure so much in the tank that too much juice will be forced into the carto and flood it.

But the OP said he or she had not used the fill hole; why not, that's why it's there? :blink:

He or she filled the tank with the top off. I'm guessing that you flooded the carto when you put the top on the tank. Same human error by causing too much pressure to build inside the tank, forcing too much juice in and flooding the cartomizer. It may not happen every time like that, by luck of the draw, but the potential is certainly there.

The tank was designed with a fill hole for a reason. I'll bet a hot fudge sundae that if you fill you tank the way it was meant to be filled your chances of flooding the tank are slim. (That's assuming you also learn the proper needle insertion technique, too.)
:)

Last edited:

hazozita

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 7, 2013
Virginia
Well, my advice is to get the correct size needle or juice feeding tool or you are likely to flood your next carto too. It has been pointed out why your carto flooded from using your technique.

Am I correct in understanding that you've never used this tank, but have only watched the video about it, or did I misunderstand your first post?

Even when I use the correct filling technique (with a syringe with plenty of room for air to escape through the fill hole) the cartos still flood. They start off working fine, but after a few draws, it's run for the hills, lads - the flood waters are here.

I think the OP's point about a draw issue may be the problem. Going to work on that a bit tomorrow and will post my findings.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Am I correct in understanding that you've never used this tank, but have only watched the video about it, or did I misunderstand your first post?

Even when I use the correct filling technique (with a syringe with plenty of room for air to escape through the fill hole) the cartos still flood. They start off working fine, but after a few draws, it's run for the hills, lads - the flood waters are here.

I think the OP's point about a draw issue may be the problem. Going to work on that a bit tomorrow and will post my findings.

Thanks, hazozita for your added input, that adds more information to help come up with a solution if there is one. It's true, I don't own nor have I seen an AGA. However, realizing that cartotanks function basically the same way despite manufacturer or design, I was trying to add my knowledge and experience into this.

Cartotanks are basically juice carriers. Basically have a tube and two endcaps, with holes just large enough to allow a cartomizer fit inside. That's all.

These all work on the same principle. Air and liquid pressure within the tank itself is what feeds the cartomizer. The act of vaping creates suction within the cartomizer, and creates negative pressure in the tank until the air/liquid pressure equilizes what juice was drawn by the vapor.

Things that upset the pressure in the tank can be the sudden increase of pressure by adding the top cap, whether it is a cartotank or the AGR design. For the carto to flood, it means there's too much pressure in the tank, or the vapor is using an incorrect puffing technique.

During your trial and error to find the solution, since there appears to be too much pressure in the tank, open the juice fill screw and allow some air to leave. (If I had a needle, I'd use that and withdraw some air.) This should equalize the tank pressure and prevent further flooding.

If the vapor is power vaping or chain vaping, too hard of pulls can suck too much juice into the carto. Tanks need a gentle, slow, patient draw quality of 3-6 seconds length.

mclhead

Mar 16, 2013
long island, ny
I'm having the very same problem, but I suspect the problem is the bottom cap o-ring. It seems undersized for the cartos as the cargo is very loose when inserted in the bottom cap prior to attaching the kilt. I'm probably the least experienced poster here, but I think my unit is defective based on this fact. I might try a different o-ring and see what happens.

mmikee

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 26, 2012
st louis
I'm having the very same problem, but I suspect the problem is the bottom cap o-ring. It seems undersized for the cartos as the cargo is very loose when inserted in the bottom cap prior to attaching the kilt. I'm probably the least experienced poster here, but I think my unit is defective based on this fact. I might try a different o-ring and see what happens.

Mine are pretty loose as well, but I have no problems. The Smok cartos seem to be a little tighter than the boges. Strange, I know.

hazozita

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 7, 2013
Virginia
I haven’t thrown in the towel yet, but am about to. To ensure it was not a pressure differential issue, I put in a primed carto (after testing it with a few puffs to verify it was not flooded) but left the entire top cap completely off. It started to flood on puff 4 and was unvapable by puff 6.

I can’t imagine it’s punch related since I’m putting in the same size holes that I normally do. Plus, once I take out the flooded carto, blow it out, and put it in a different tank with the same juice, it works fine.

It’s not my vaping technique since I’m not doing anything different than I do with any other carto tank.

Could be that I just got a lemon. Not a big $ loss, but I am disappointed – this sounded so good when I saw the video review!

mclhead

Mar 16, 2013
long island, ny
OK, I changed the bottom cap internal o-ring, and although it's alot more snug, the flooding cartos remained. I also filled the tank to just above the carto holes, and without putting the top back on, the carto was immediately flooded. I then blocked one of the two carto holes with a toothpick, filled tank, and slowly put the top back on without the vent screw, hurray!, no flooding! I kept the top cap positioned with the fill screw hole up top and slowly turned the tank to tighten, not the top cap. I then put in the fill screw. That seemed to do the trick, and it beats carrying around a syringe in my book. I hope this method works for others, because this $14 tank was driving me crazy :) .

hazozita

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 7, 2013
Virginia
Mclhead - glad you got yours working. I came down this morning to find that all the juice had leaked out of mine overnight. Fortunatly, I had taken it off my mod last evening and put it into my tank holder (actually, a test tube holder, but it works great to keep my tanks organized). I've never had a tank do that before! Everything seemed to be screwed on tightly, O-rings seemed fine when I took it apart and looked at them, so I'm thinking I got a dud.

Oh well -- it's not returnable, so my bin of junk vaping parts just got a new resident.

padookie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 6, 2012
Richmond VA
padookie.tumblr.com
Haven't filled it up yet. Just wondering if anyone else's came with a baby dinosaur? :p

77b83820900311e2b4ea22000a1fbdb0_7.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread