Flavourful DIY eLiquid under 450F

Status
Not open for further replies.

MoeKeto

Mar 27, 2018
Hey everyone,

I have been attempting to make my eliquid and so far I have had quite a learning curve. One thing that I have been able to do which is mixing LorAnn flavours at 15% or so, and they have been ok for the most part, except for Cola, which actually damaged my coil and had to rebuild.

The thing is, however, with these flavours, I can only seem to taste them at around 600F on my Therion BF DNA 75C with Pulse 22 and 0.5 ohm SS316L coil.

I am concerned because the recent studies showing that PG and VG produce some scary amounts of aldehydes at above 450F, so I’m wondering how do I make my juice “pop” so to speak, below that point.

I also understand that LorAnn does not have the best reputation for eliquid flavourings, but, that’s what I have been able to get my hands on locally and I just wanted to test things out before I go ahead and invest in a large quantity of TFA/TPA and Capella and FA and FW from online stores. So, help me out, is what I am asking possible?
Mind you, my juices at their higher percentage only steeped for 2 days or so, and the flavour is okay, but, only takes a lot of power to feel it.

Thanks ahead and I couldn’t be happier with all of the help I’m getting. You guys are the best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: stols001

madstabber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2013
Concoction Creating Cave
I don’t think the mods we use are that accurate with temp anyway so don’t worry about it. I bet when you have it set at 600 you’re probably really only at 400 anyway so now your below the magic 450 and safe. See that was easy, your welcome and if you got anything else I can help with I’m here just ask

MoeKeto

Mar 27, 2018
I don’t think the mods we use are that accurate with temp anyway so don’t worry about it. I bet when you have it set at 600 you’re probably really only at 400 anyway so now your below the magic 450 and safe. See that was easy, your welcome and if you got anything else I can help with I’m here just ask

Lol if this mod and tank and coil didn’t give me accurate readings then I may as well quit vaping altogether lol. I spent enough money just to get the flavour and be safe. Please tell me you’re kidding.

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
Lol if this mod and tank and coil didn’t give me accurate readings then I may as well quit vaping altogether lol. I spent enough money just to get the flavour and be safe. Please tell me you’re kidding.
Silly question probably......... but; you do have your resistance locked on your device, if you are using it in temp mode? I can't vape at 450° let alone 600°. If you failed to lock your resistance while the atty is at room temp the readings are bogus. SS resistance fluctuates rather dramatically as it is heated.

Have you tried vaping the same setup in power mode? (SS can be used in either power or temp mode.) What wattage gives you similar flavor?

MoeKeto

Mar 27, 2018
Silly question probably......... but; you do have your resistance locked on your device, if you are using it in temp mode? I can't vape at 450° let alone 600°. If you failed to lock your resistance while the atty is at room temp the readings are bogus. SS resistance fluctuates rather dramatically as it is heated.

Have you tried vaping the same setup in power mode? (SS can be used in either power or temp mode.) What wattage gives you similar flavor?

Thanks for the tip! I did just that, waited for it to cool down and sampled the resistance and locked it.
But it is strange I guess. I will return to the shop on Monday to figure it out if this is not doing what it’s supposed to.

But I just switched to Wattage Only and had to go up to 70W to actually taste my juice. That’s close to the max. The weird thing here is that it tastes stronger now... weird lol I’m going back to the store for sure.

madstabber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2013
Concoction Creating Cave

I was only kinda kidding, like Joel said vaping at 600 would be extremely hot. The most I’ve vaped at was near 500 and that was with an old coil that was gunker up with a serious loss of performance. So I doubt you are vaping at 600. More than likely it is inaccuracies with the tcr numbers. So while your mod may be fairly accurate with regards to the temperature. If the tcr isnt set right for the metal of the coil and all the other voodoo a mod does to determine the temperature it will be inaccurate. Please don’t quit vaping though, even over 450 your juice is still safer than a cigarette

MoeKeto

Mar 27, 2018
Also what setup are you using @MoeKeto ?
What’s your mod and tank?

I just bought a Therion BF DNA75C and installed an SS316L 0.54 ohm coil on a Pulse 22. I forked our a decent amount to buy the best equipment to help me with the flavour, as that’s all I care about.

madstabber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2013
Concoction Creating Cave
I just bought a Therion BF DNA75C and installed an SS316L 0.54 ohm coil on a Pulse 22. I forked our a decent amount to buy the best equipment to help me with the flavour, as that’s all I care about.

Ok with a dna chipped mod it should be fairly accurate. That means you don’t have it setup in temperature control correctly. This is causing you to max your temp out. I don’t have a dna but I know it uses escribe. You need to make adjustments in escribe to the tcr numbers in regards to your coil metal. Good luck I hope this has been helpful

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
What is the specific build/design of the coil? Single wire, clapton, other? What is the wire gauge? What is the coil diameter?

I agree that 70 watts sounds extremely high for a single coil.

I have not used/seen a Pulse 22 in person. Looking at the photos, it looks like it can be extremely airy (four jet ports for a single coil?). Too much air can "dilute" the flavor. Have you experimented with closing off some of the airflow, while at the same time, lowering the power/temperature?

MoeKeto

Mar 27, 2018
Ok with a dna chipped mod it should be fairly accurate. That means you don’t have it setup in temperature control correctly. This is causing you to max your temp out. I don’t have a dna but I know it uses escribe. You need to make adjustments to the tcr numbers in regards to your coil metal. Good luck I hope this has been helpful

Thanks a lot for this. I am returning to the shop to figure this out with one of their juices to see. But in your experience, 600F/315C is high for flavour, right?

madstabber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2013
Concoction Creating Cave
Thanks a lot for this. I am returning to the shop to figure this out with one of their juices to see. But in your experience, 600F/315C is high for flavour, right?

Absolutely, I vape in temp mode between 380-480 roughly depending on the coil/coils
The shop should be able to get you fixed up, if not just come back here and I’ll page some experts with dna devices and escribe to help you out

MoeKeto

Mar 27, 2018
What is the specific build/design of the coil? Single wire, clapton, other? What is the wire gauge? What is the coil diameter?

I agree that 70 watts sounds extremely high for a single coil.

I have not used/seen a Pulse 22 in person. Looking at the photos, it looks like it can be extremely airy (four jet ports for a single coil?). Too much air can "dilute" the flavor. Have you experimented with closing off some of the airflow, while at the same time, lowering the power/temperature?

Thanks for your question. It is an SS316L 24ga single wire, wrapped as a single coil with 3mm diameter, resulting resistance was 0.553.

I have two of the airflow holes closed.

I appreciate the help, truly.

MoeKeto

Mar 27, 2018
Absolutely, I vape in temp mode between 380-480 roughly depending on the coil/coils
The shop should be able to get you fixed up, if not just come back here and I’ll page some experts with dna devices and escribe to help you out

Thanks a lot! Truly appreciated! That shop better fix it, or it won’t be nice. I bough this thing yesterday!

madstabber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2013
Concoction Creating Cave
Thanks a lot! Truly appreciated! That shop better fix it, or it won’t be nice. I bough this thing yesterday!

I feel ya man. When you hand over hard earned money you want your stuff to work. Hopefully the shop has knowledgeable guys working in there. If they don’t seem to know what they’re doing ask for the owner. You have a quality mod it just needs to be setup correctly. This forum is full of good people who will take the time to help. Before I found this place I was throwing good money after bad for crap devices trying to find something that worked. If I would’ve came here first I would’ve saved hundreds of dollars. Anyway good luck, once your setup right your gonna have a much better experience.

MoeKeto

Mar 27, 2018
I feel ya man. When you hand over hard earned money you want your stuff to work. Hopefully the shop has knowledgeable guys working in there. If they don’t seem to know what they’re doing ask for the owner. You have a quality mod it just needs to be setup correctly. This forum is full of good people who will take the time to help. Before I found this place I was throwing good money after bad for crap devices trying to find something that worked. If I would’ve came here first I would’ve saved hundreds of dollars. Anyway good luck, once your setup right your gonna have a much better experience.

Well said man. The guys who did the coil seem to really know what they’re doing and in our city they have quite a reputation. They were the ones to set me up with the wire to set up a dual build SS316L on a SMOK Baby RBA, and I’ve been so happy with that. I asked for flavour chasing ware and everyone recommended this unit, so I went out and bought it from them to support them and to end the vaping dilemma. I like the vape, it’s pretty good, but I was just trying to bring that 600F down, as I think it’s too high. The first coil they set up which was a Ti 24g didn’t work until they had to tweak it, claiming that the profile the DNA had for the Ti was wrong, now I’m wondering if the device itself is messed up or something was messed up from the start.

I’ll come back here for sure, and thanks for your help.

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
It is an SS316L 24ga single wire, wrapped as a single coil with 3mm diameter, resulting resistance was 0.553.
My, that must be a monster.... 11.5 wraps? Still; 70 watts is on the high side of the heat flux (290).

For flavor, I personally would be more inclined to use 26ga., or even 28ga., SS wire. Fewer coils, faster heat-up and cool-down, and less drain on the battery. But that is just my personal preference. I know 23ga. has a strong following.
I have two of the airflow holes closed.
Sounds reasonable.
I appreciate the help, truly.
Happy to do what I can. Because I have neither your atty, nor your mod, I am shooting from the hip. Please take that into consideration.:D

MoeKeto

Mar 27, 2018
My, that must be a monster.... 11.5 wraps? Still; 70 watts is on the high side of the heat flux (290).

For flavor, I personally would be more inclined to use 26ga., or even 28ga., SS wire. Fewer coils, faster heat-up and cool-down, and less drain on the battery. But that is just my personal preference. I know 23ga. has a strong following.

Sounds reasonable.

Happy to do what I can. Because I have neither your atty, nor your mod, I am shooting from the hip. Please take that into consideration.:D

I’m guessing I got something wrong lol, because that setup is not a monster at all. Here’s a pic below
33116f85874a4fdebacbe52349b57cfd.jpg

Reactions: stols001
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread