Help me convince my wife!

Status
Not open for further replies.

geeve

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2013
Oklahoma
There are a number of ways you can handle this, all of which depends on your relationship with her. My recommendation is to buy her a puppy. Get her a really really cute puppy. Get her to fall in love with it. Then just when she starts baby talking to it, take it out to the grill when you are cooking steaks. Make sure the fire is really going great and hold the puppy over the flames (far enough away that you aren't hurting the puppy, I mean, he didn't do anything to get tossed in flames but he is just a pawn in your little game but she doesn't know that) and say "If you bug me any more about this ...., I'm gonna drop the puppy and go buy a pack of cigarettes!" I find acting like a psychopath really does wonders in correcting spousal behavior when all else fails. It's really worked great for all six of my marriages.

On topic though, I went over the benefit to the check book. We will break even on the 10th and I am just going to require juice and atomizers every month. A lot cheaper than smokes. Plus she started to see the health benefits I have gone through over the last two months.....It doesn't hurt that she tries some juices from time to time (and actually likes quite a few of them, we keep some 0 nic stuff for her around). She isn't a smoker, but she would social smoke if we went out with friends.

Geeve

Last edited:

Screamin Eagle

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 15, 2013
Maryland
My wife hated the idea that I got into vaping. After quiting the "coffin nails" for 7 years she thought it would get me back into smoking them again. Then I started making my own juices and telling her everything I was putting in my juices (I don't use nicotine) and the fact that it's all FDA approved, and put in most of the products that we use already. Then she tried some. She now has her own set up.

aufin

Sep 1, 2013
Lakeland, Fl
So I've been vaping for 15 days now and my wife revealed to me tonight she freaks out when she sees me exhale 'a cloud'. She says her main concern is what is in the vapor and how it affects her. Which I found hypocritical because she doesn't always make healthy choices. (she drinks diet sodas for instance). :?:

I think I'd be fightiing fire w/ fire. Start pulling reports on aspartame and leave them laying around. Even start gagging 'n such when she pops open one of her drinks laced with FDA approved poison. And stand your ground on vaping.......much better'n stinkies.

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
I wasn't going to say this, but...if she is only concerned with her health and second hand vape, then sounds like she is trying to quilt trip you. Please don't fall for it. If you don't like confrontation, then continue your routine as when you smoked analogs. If that means going outside, so be it. She will slowly see that your health is improved. Personally, I can't for the life of me understand why she would not want you to be in better health? She has to know that real cig smoke is damaging you and her, so why the fuss now? Something is not right, but I will leave it at that. Just tell her that the perceived wording of your post indicates her selfishness.
Sorry.
:)

HauntedMyst

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 18, 2013
Chicago
I was all :):laugh::?::blink:8-o

Please dont take any relationship advice from Haunted. :facepalm:

I'm great at giving relationship advice! My buddy has this daughter, shes a great kid. When she was a freshman in high school and she was beautiful. And by beautiful, I mean, extraordinarily beautiful, like a cross between Jennifer Love Hewitt and Brittney Spears. Anyways, he came over and was complaining that all these boys were hitting on her and that she was too young to date and he didn't want her growing up too fast, etc. I said "Look, you got three options. The first is spend a lot of time with her, parenting her, teaching her the right values. But you are terrible at that or we wouldn't be having this talk. Option two is, you let her date once and then cut the testicles off the boy and hang them on your porch as a warning to all other boys. But that option may end you up in prison making friends in the shower you don't want to make. The third option is the best, before bedtime, give her some Benadryl and while she is sleeping, smear some bacon fat on her face." He took option three and it worked like a charm. Within two days that beautiful girl had acne so bad, people stared at her like she was a freak. Within a week, no one would even look at her. She went through high school and college without a single date. And that's why they call me the problem solver. I wonder what ever happened to her. My buddy called me the other day and wanted to talk about her depression and alcoholism. I wonder where that's coming from.

Last edited:

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
There are some videos on youtube about doctors talking about the e-cigs. Sorry for the not so informative response, but I have to post 5 times before I can ask my question in the forums since I am a new member, and this is one of them.

You could start your own thread and introduce yourself..

geeve

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2013
Oklahoma
I'm great at giving relationship advice! My buddy has this daughter, shes a great kid. When she was a freshman in high school and she was beautiful. And by beautiful, I mean, extraordinarily beautiful, like a cross between Jennifer Love Hewitt and Brittney Spears. Anyways, he came over and was complaining that all these boys were hitting on her and that she was too young to date and he didn't want her growing up too fast, etc. I said "Look, you got three options. The first is spend a lot of time with her, parenting her, teaching her the right values. But you are terrible at that or we wouldn't be having this talk. Option two is, you let her date once and then cut the testicles off the boy and hang them on your porch as a warning to all other boys. But that option may end you up in prison making friends in the shower you don't want to make. The third option is the best, before bedtime, give her some Benadryl and while she is sleeping, smear some bacon fat on her face." He took option three and it worked like a charm. Within two days that beautiful girl had acne so bad, people stared at her like she was a freak. Within a week, no one would even look at her. She went through high school and college without a single date. And that's why they call me the problem solver. I wonder what ever happened to her. My buddy called me the other day and wanted to talk about her depression and alcoholism. I wonder where that's coming from.

Got this for you haunted:

PhoenixD

ECF Veteran
Aug 23, 2013
Austin TX
So I've been vaping for 15 days now and my wife revealed to me tonight she freaks out when she sees me exhale 'a cloud'. She says her main concern is what is in the vapor and how it affects her. Which I found hypocritical because she doesn't always make healthy choices. (she drinks diet sodas for instance). :?:

I pulled up the study by CASAA and let her read it but she still is unsure of what to think. She even got online and read a couple articles that she found. They didn't help at all. She is skeptical of the CASAA study because it was funded by a 'pro e-cig' organization. I pointed out that the articles she read are biased against e-cigs and to follow the money. Short of it is, I'm having trouble finding relevant studies on PV use and the affects of second hand vapor. All of the ones I found had to do with cartridge cigs and I don't know how relevant they are to vaping. Anyone got some links to vapor specific studies to assuage my wife's concerns?

Regards,
Chas

Here is my solution: (#1, how committed are you to gaping? and did you start vaping in order to quit smoking? and did you think your wife would do it too? --those are just questions to ask yourself)

Here is a "solution": YOU no longer vape in front of her if it distresses her. No longer have your equipment visible, no longer discuss it--well set a reasonable period of time for this like "2 weeks" or "1 month" not "never"!! And SHE no longer smokes in front of you or keeps her "equipment" visible around you. Just for a period of time (I would certainly say at least 2 weeks) and keep the subject taboo. Then at the end of the period you two discuss whether you will start doing it around each other again. This will give you both some time to see how committed you each are to "your own activity" and do some personal assessment. It will also help you each to find how "committed" you are to A. smoking or B Vaping....because both of you will "be on your own" with it.

If you do this PLEASE let me know how it works out and please "have an A1 Day!" at it too. PHX

Cactus Breath

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 6, 2013
AZ
We just need to get Oprah to do a pro-ecig bit on one of her shows - that would immediately and persuasively convince 95% of women that e-cigs were completely safe. If Oprah says it, it's gospel!

My wife is a lifelong non-smoker and is ecstatic that I'm vaping - I smoked in the house, in the car, everywhere we went. She loves the fact that her clothes, hair, our house/furniture, etc. don't smell like cigarette smoke anymore. She isn't concerned with scientific proof, studies, etc. - she's just glad to be rid of the stench. She doesn't even bat an eye when I buy a new vape toy, more e-liquid or whatever - as long as it keeps me off the cigarettes, she's perfectly happy.

Hill

ECF Veteran
May 7, 2013
Texas USA
My wife is a lifelong non-smoker and is ecstatic that I'm vaping - I smoked in the house, in the car, everywhere we went. She loves the fact that her clothes, hair, our house/furniture, etc. don't smell like cigarette smoke anymore. She isn't concerned with scientific proof, studies, etc. - she's just glad to be rid of the stench. She doesn't even bat an eye when I buy a new vape toy, more e-liquid or whatever - as long as it keeps me off the cigarettes, she's perfectly happy.[/QUOTE]

Thats what I'm talking about SUPPORT!

Kudos to your wife Cactus.

Chas F.

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 3, 2013
Colorado
Good lord Haunted! Ok, I needed the laugh, thanks!

Conditioning Rickajho. Repeat a lie often/long enough and the uninformed masses will believe it.

Thanks Doc, I'll check it out and see if there is anything there to use.

Rose, to her credit, she did ask for understanding and time to get used to the idea. I've decided to dial down the amount of vapor hoping it won't seem so intrusive to her space.

dspin, unfortunately that was my first response when she asked me to vape near the door. Things went downhill from there and I regret it.

Sugar_and_Spice, she's not a smoker, she's and ex-smoker and an RN to boot. Her reliance on honest to god medical studies is going to be a hurdle but with time I hope more studies come out in support of our hobby.

Vapeaddikt, my feelings exactly and I plan to continue vaping in the house. As far as how much I spent, I only smoked 2 packs/week.

Race, I thought about that.

Robino, I'll point that out to her.

Sugar, it was intended to give that impression because that's what it felt like last night. She is an ex-smoker and had a hell of a time quitting and doesn't want any nicotine anywhere near her where it would stir up the urge again. Perhaps that's what I need to focus on in the future. Thanks for the nudge.

Phoenix, my goal is to get her used to my vaping hobby. I haven't been vaping in her face or anything, but I'm not going to go out of my way so she doesn't see it at all.

Glycerol, thanks for the links, I'll study them and pass them on to my wife.

Thanks everyone for the responses, I purposely did not post all of the events of last night because they wouldn't serve any good purpose. I hope that as time goes on she becomes less wary of second hand vapor and more studies come out about the affects of second hand vapor.

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
Why not? Anyone who has been married 6 times must be an expert by now. Practice practice practice!

Oh - I see your point. He forgot to wrap the Puppy in bacon.

I suppose one could view it that way. However, when Dr's are practicing medicine, does that mean 'they' aint got it right yet? hmmmm

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread