I quit Vaping.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DetraMental

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 31, 2013
United States
Congrats to the op for being able to quit altogether. I don't understand the naysayers at all. Bragging? What?! He/She is just pointing out that they've quit and is sharing this with us, so what! Let's be supportive. They aren't trying to tell us we have to do the same. vape on!!

Ps. I'm proud of the fact that I'm down from 18mg to 6mg. I'm hoping to get down to 3mg and then 0mg. I'm not looking to quit because I really enjoy the act of vaping. Even if I did quit vaping I wonder if I'd want to share it here with all the negative responses it caused. I'm quite surprise honestly.

Last edited:

Mr.Mann

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2011
All over the place
You mean flavorings with Diacetyl? I am careful to only order from vendors who state that their products do not contain this chemical.

Dr. Farsalino's study to be published soon found that up to * ~70% of the chosen eliquid to be tested (randomly purchased) contained some percentage of diacetyl (and the diacetyl family of chemicals), and this is also from vendors that state definitively that they DO NOT use it. After all, MOST vendors say they don't use it. The fact is that it is out there and I am not certain of any one vendor that that I would bet the bank on if asked if their liquids are 100% free of said chemicals (unless they basically sell unflavored liquid).

Edit: A vendor can actually not "use" those chemicals and be truthful about what he/she actually puts in their liquid, but unless they make the flavorings they use or test the flavorings (all of them), they can't be certain about what's in them. There's the rub. And I am not saying diacetyl is dangerous or not (at least not here), but it's just something to be aware of. So relying on what a vendor states on their website is nothing more, generally speaking, than words on a website -- especially in this situation.

Edit: Gato is correct (see posts below). This is not random liquids tested, but likely liquid suspected to in having these properties .

p.s. Congrats to the OP. If you ever want to revisit vaping, we'll be here.

Last edited:

Gato del Jugo

ProVarinati
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2013
US o' A
Dr. Farsalino's study to be published soon found that up to ~70% of all eliquid tested (randomly purchased)...

Link to where it says they were randomly purchased?

Or do you mean anonymously purchased?

The only thing I recall seeing in print from the source is:

"The liquids and flavorings tested are extremely popular..."

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/...is-evaluating-potentially-harmful-ingredients

This, at least to me, says to me that the particular samples were not random -- but in fact, intentional, based on popularity..

What that popularity means, who knows.. Are popular juices more popular than others, perhaps at least in part because their consumers prefer the taste of diacetyl? One could argue that there's a flaw in the study right there, depending on how its worded...

I've also heard or read, and I wish I could recall the source, that the samples were actually purchased based on what the doc & his team suspected that they contained diacetyl (targeting custard-flavored juices, in particular?).. Again, doesn't sound exactly random (or un-flawed) to me..

But, who knows the veracity of that claim, to begin with...

Mr.Mann

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2011
All over the place
Link to where it says they were randomly purchased?

Or do you mean anonymously purchased?

The only thing I recall seeing in print from the source is:

"The liquids and flavorings tested are extremely popular..."

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/...is-evaluating-potentially-harmful-ingredients

This, at least to me, says to me that the particular samples were not random -- but in fact, intentional, based on popularity..

What that popularity means, who knows.. Are popular juices more popular than others, perhaps at least in part because their consumers prefer the taste of diacetyl? One could argue that there's a flaw in the study right there, depending on how its worded...

I've also heard or read, and I wish I could recall the source, that the samples were actually purchased based on what the doc & his team suspected that they contained diacetyl (targeting custard-flavored juices, in particular?).. Again, doesn't sound exactly random (or un-flawed) to me..

But, who knows the veracity of that claim, to begin with...

Good points. We'll see what's up. I do agree and understand what you are saying though -- it clearly was targeted based on "popularity" (don't know how that ascertained). I made a big mistake by typing up "randomly chosen" as that made it seem like 70% of any eliquid out there is suspect in this arena and I doubt that is the case. My apologies as that was not true. However, if a vendor says it's not in there and they find out it is, that's beyond why the liquid was chosen IMO.

Last edited:

Bernard Marx

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 2, 2014
attic
Congrats to the op for being able to quit altogether. I don't understand the naysayers at all. Bragging? What?! He/She is just pointing out that they've quit and is sharing this with us, so what! Let's be supportive. They aren't trying to tell us we have to do the same. Vape on!!

Ps. I'm proud of the fact that I'm down from 18mg to 6mg. I'm hoping to get down to 3mg and then 0mg. I'm not looking to quit because I really enjoy the act of vaping. Even if I did quit vaping I wonder if I'd want to share it here with all the negative responses it caused. I'm quite surprise honestly.

I think you need a course in basic psychology.

quest

Verified Member
Jun 8, 2014
United States
Well, I'm a recreational vaper from the get-go. Never smoked a cig in my life and had the occasional pipe tobacco for ceremonial purposes. My vice was gaming and it consumed a large part of my life. It gave me as much grief as it helped me runaway from them. At the time I was in the process of quitting my gaming addiction, my grandma passed away, heartbreaking for my dad to say the least. I got my dad (a smoker of 25+ years) an ecig starter kit to cheer him up and show him that I care about him and his health. I had to learn about ecigs myself to teach my father how to use them, and the more I learned, the more vaping seemed like a lovely hobby. Something that didn't take too much time out of my hands but was still enjoyable. Cola and apple pie without the gains? Sign me up. Vaping has also helped me connect with my father whom I respect very much but never had much to say to him. We talk much more now because vaping gives us something to talk about.

To sum it up, vaping has been a factor in my increased social life and a lovely hobby that doesn't take a huge portion of my life. I now have goals that I want to accomplish and I'm looking to be on my way to a life I can be proud of.

Grats OP, you went cold turkey from cigs and vaping. Now you got some extra $$$ you wouldn't have otherwise! How about treating me to a beer? :toast:

Gato del Jugo

ProVarinati
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2013
US o' A
I made a big mistake by typing up "randomly chosen" as that made it seem like 70% of any eliquid out there is suspect in this arena and I doubt that is the case. My apologies as that was not true.

You wouldn't be the 1st to have mistakenly said that.. Others here & outside ECF have incorrectly quoted the study's preliminary results, making it seem like 69% of all e-liquids contain diacetyl -- even though that's not what was originally tested & stated..

We certainly don't need more fuel for the fire that's being used against us, is all...

However, if a vendor says it's not in there and they find out it is, that's beyond why the liquid was chosen IMO.

The study hasn't been published yet (that I'm aware of).. I don't know how it will be worded.. nor do I know why, aside from "popularity," certain samples were chosen..

One additional possibility? A vendor's website claims that a certain juice does not contain diacetyl.. One of the "lead vapers" of the study says, "No way.. I've had that before -- it has to contain it! Let's put it on the shopping list & see for ourselves.."

So, in a case like that, it was chosen specifically for that very reason.. (Not to mention that something like that would get the study even more publicity...)

Still doesn't excuse the fact that it's being sold as diacetyl-free, even though it does contain it..

Anyway, I hope Dr. F goes into lots of detail about the how's & why's of the sample selection process.. Because at this point, seems like many people only hear & focus on the 69% number, and regurgitate & perpetuate that, turning it into something that it really isn't...

Jman8

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Wisconsin
My message to you folks is don't forget why you're here, and don't give up giving up. The vaping community has been good to me and I wish it well. Vaping works as a smoking cessation device, but it's ultimately only better for your health if you stop doing it eventually.

Take this part out of OP, and it's hard not to like OP's message.

Add this part back in and it's hard to like OP's message.

Might be an accurate statement, but the words "only better for your health" are tough to say "congratulations" to.

krisjay

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 20, 2014
Maine
I kind of got the impression the OP assumes everyone wants to stop at some point, that's kind of what I got. It's great that you quit, I have no idea if I will someday stop, I don't have any intentions right now to stop. I think the initial post just gave the vibe everyone is in it to eventually stop. Which I dont think is the case.

rico942

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 12, 2013
Carlsbad, CA
I don't really think much about drinking after nearly 22 yrs sober, but I know all it would take is one drink, and I'd be off to the races again.

Wow, that is almost word for word how I defend my sobriety to drinking friends who say "Aw c'mon, just one won't hurt you ..." :blink:

Alcohol free since 1989, now tobacco free since 5/10/13 ...

But I consider my vaping to be a habit, not an addiction. I would not mug a stranger for juice money ... :laugh:

Just a habit, and a rather benign one at that ... :D

Feraloxide

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 14, 2014
Buffalo, NY, USA
Well, I finally quit vaping.
My message to you folks is don't forget why you're here, and don't give up giving up. The vaping community has been good to me and I wish it well. Vaping works as a smoking cessation device, but it's ultimately only better for your health if you stop doing it eventually.

Not everyone's here to quit nicotine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread