mech mod or regulated?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Pegleg

ECF Veteran
Apr 14, 2015
Arkansas
One thing that just makes me wonder is that all this fear about a possible sudden death of vaping stores or such, won't people still be able to simple order online?

When vaping starting, the only way to get anything was via online.. I know because we were "there" over 8 years ago and had to get everything this way... let alone absolutely no information aside the very basics. And that didn't stop us from being part of the "pioneers".. this was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay before people even knew what "e-cigarettes" were, and everyone would look at us weirdly when we'd have them out in public.

So yup, I agreeing about self-reliance, but some might miss "the boat" thanks to this witch-hunt and never get to go with vaping, or fear it because of the propaganda.

Nah man, about ordering online...

Besides the fact that technically e-liquid is banned as interatate sale in my state (and there are almost no makers in my state), the regulations include rules about interstate sale as well as "imported" like from China and other countries, who knows how the allmighty Fasttech will handle it, and who knows how it will end up being enforced, IF these regulations come to pass.

I'm an optimist, and I can imagine they will be drastically altered in the next two years. I have no proof of what the future will hold, obviously, but I still have faith.

Jessie-Aries

Multiple ID Suspension
May 26, 2016
  • Deleted by retired1
  • Reason: Multiple ID Company

r055co

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2015
Seattle
Umm, no.

DNA chips are no more regulated than a 510 connector or battery sled. Chips do not need FDA approval because by themselves chips can do nothing. It's an electronics component, not a device.

By itself the chip is a voltage regulator that works off resistance changes. You may be familiar with these, you have them in your PC to control fan speed based on the temperature of the processor. The processor monitors resistance changes in the Digital Thermal Sensor, and then adjusts the fan speed based on that temperature. Evolv didn't invent brand new technology that no one had ever seen before, they simply tailored it for use in regulated mods for vaping. All they really did was make it so the coil is the Digital Thermal Sensor.

It's essentially one of these:

s-l1000.jpg

With the coil being the temperature probe.

At the absolute worst they would have to sell it as a Voltage Regulator with DTS interface.
The regulations state they can interpret as they choose and it's intended use. Name something the Evolv chips are used for other than vaping.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

NealBJr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2013
Lawrenceville, Ga.
mechanical mod has fewer parts to fail. However, it is hard to find a quality device at a reasonable price. If you are a new vaper, regulated devices are safer. People are working hard to fight these regulations. In addition, even if they go through as they are, it probably wouldn't be hard to have someone make you a regulated mod down the road. They are just tubes or boxes with battery sleds and a switch.

I use both. I have more regulated mods and intend to get a couple to keep in boxes for now,

will mech mod survive since FDA deeming regulation out. which are you using right now

If worse comes to worse, things will probably be "re-labeled". After all, there really isn't much difference between a flashlight and an ecig. the only differences are, the connector, and what the electricity is used for.

It'd be interesting to have a flashlight that can control the brightness by watts... and just to make the FDA happy, have a cigarette lighter that can determine the heat of the coil that is used to ignite my taxed cancer stick. :)

Ok... end of rant I suppose.

Reactions: Eskie

tonydipper

Jun 2, 2016
If worse comes to worse, things will probably be "re-labeled". After all, there really isn't much difference between a flashlight and an ecig. the only differences are, the connector, and what the electricity is used for.

It'd be interesting to have a flashlight that can control the brightness by watts... and just to make the FDA happy, have a cigarette lighter that can determine the heat of the coil that is used to ignite my taxed cancer stick. :)

that's not a bad idea. always more creations than regulations

r055co

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2015
Seattle

As I stated above

The regulations state they can interpret as they choose and it's intended use.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Glinda

ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2014
United States
I began reading this thread with high hopes and now they've gone flat. Yeah, I'm definitely experiencing that "deer in the headlights" feeling where mechanical mods are concerned. I go back and forth- should I get one, should I get two, should I just by a bunch more regulated mods?! Ugh.

I'll probably wind up buying only one mech mod as a back up in case/when things go Dark, just so I have one. I'll likely stash info with it on how to safely use it when my regulated devices conk out. In the meantime, I'll buy more regulated ones (that Provari V2 recommended earlier is tempting!), along with additional tanks, supplies to make my own e-liquids, and parts needed to practice rebuilding coils. But boy, the clock is ticking and my learning curve sure is tight!

I'm a late comer to this game (got my first two box mods last week). As of the official announcement of the FDA deeming, I'm spending virtually all of my free time learning how to be as confidently self sufficient here as possible. Sometimes it feels scary and random, but the epiphanies that come up after the scary moments pass keep me going. When that doesn't do the job, my disgust and distrust of the FDA does the trick.

tonydipper

Jun 2, 2016
I began reading this thread with high hopes and now they've gone flat. Yeah, I'm definitely experiencing that "deer in the headlights" feeling where mechanical mods are concerned. I go back and forth- should I get one, should I get two, should I just by a bunch more regulated mods?! Ugh.

I'll probably wind up buying only one mech mod as a back up in case/when things go Dark, just so I have one. I'll likely stash info with it on how to safely use it when my regulated devices conk out. In the meantime, I'll buy more regulated ones (that Provari V2 recommended earlier is tempting!), along with additional tanks, supplies to make my own e-liquids, and parts needed to practice rebuilding coils. But boy, the clock is ticking and my learning curve sure is tight!

I'm a late comer to this game (got my first two box mods last week). As of the official announcement of the FDA deeming, I'm spending virtually all of my free time learning how to be as confidently self sufficient here as possible. Sometimes it feels scary and random, but the epiphanies that come up after the scary moments pass keep me going. When that doesn't do the job, my disgust and distrust of the FDA does the trick.
now you're stockpiling just in case,this summer will be hard and long for vapers

Reactions: Glinda

NealBJr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2013
Lawrenceville, Ga.

Oddly enough, I feel more optimistic and less end of days "deer in the headlight" feeling. I do plan on doing what I can as far as advocacy goes, and I will continue to play the role of teacher when someone questions me about vaping. Vapes are now getting more in the limelight, and by now, almost everyone has at least HEARD about "ecigs". I will continue to openly vape in plain sight where appropriate in hopes someone will ask questions, and I will be ready with the answers.

Remember, Vaping itself is not illegal, just the selling of. I believe the industry will still go on. The government will loose it's power to tax it correctly. Unfortunately, there will be quite a bit fewer brick and mortar shops and things will still go on. I believe the bulk of the vaping industry is not centered around the US. Even though it was originally invented in the US, it really came into being by China. Most of the major players of Ecigs are Chinese (Innokin, Cloupor, Sigeli, Joytech, Kanger, Tesla, Smok, Eleaf to name a few)... those products will still be produced.

Advocacy will still happen. CASAA, #Fightforyourrighttovape, and AVA are getting stronger as the word gets out. If you look at those groups 5 years ago, they were much smaller or non existent. They are much stronger now than they were back then and they continue to grow. Keep supporting what you can. In my eyes, the first few years were like light sparring... this is when the fighting starts. And the vaping industry is much stronger than it was back then... Help spread the word and the truth.

now, off of soap box... mech or regulated, I always recommend regulated. But a mech mod is good if you have the knowledge to support it. They make great test bench devices, and a good emergency device if a regulated mod goes kaput and you're waiting for a replacement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread