where's your first mech mod? still in use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firestorm

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 25, 2012
Chicagoland
Here's a picture of my first mechanical mod, a GP Paps v2.1:

GPPaps-Polished-Hybrid-1_zps0f3aec4f.jpg

I purchased it in April 2013 because I had quit smoking and was vaping exclusively for six months and I wanted a mechanical mod in case the FDA tried to regulate and ban electronic cigarettes (yes, it's been a genuine concern for years, not just in the past few months). Although I didn't use it initially, I came to fall in love with it and mechanical mods in general. I still prefer mechanical mods to regulated mods.

Where is my GP Paps v2.1 now? I still have it, along with a lot of other older and newer versions. Call it a sickness, but the 22mm GP Paps is my favorite mod, and I now have 12 of them (three v2s, one v2.1, three v2.5s, three v3s, and two v4s). I don't use my v2s, v2.1s, v2.5s, and v3s that often because I prefer to use a GP Paps v4 - the best mechanical mod that I own (unlike the v2.1, it has a recessed switch that can be locked and can stand up unlocked, the vent holes have been moved from the tube to the switch, the top cap has a self-adjusting center pin for both the battery and the atomizer as opposed to pins that need to be adjusted manually, and the logo is now CNC engraved instead of laser etched).

Here's a picture of my favorite mod:

54673C25-F0E5-4A39-911E-8D748BE0B692_zpsxkges3lx.jpg

conanthewarrior

ECF Veteran
Feb 2, 2014
Essex, England.
Mine is now retired, in a bag where my old, broken parts go (I can't seem to let go, I may have a hoarding issue lol).

It was a nemesis clone, that had issues with the fire button getting fairly warm, so I got a few others to replace it with that do not suffer from this.

The nemesis did get some good use while I used it, and it was a good introduction to mechanical mods.

retired1

Administrator
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Texas
It was a nemesis clone, that had issues with the fire button getting fairly warm, so I got a few others to replace it with that do not suffer from this.

First thing I did when I bought my Nemmy clone was rip out the switch spring and replaced with magnets. Not a single issue with it.

bwh79

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
Oregon
My first mech was a Panzer clone
Mine too. I received it second-hand, gifted to me by someone right here on the forums. They said it was an EHPro clone, but judging from some pics I've seen online, that doesn't add up. I think it's just a random FastTech model.

My second mech, I won in a forum contest. It's a Neptune hybrid ("true" hybrid) from Beyond Vape. Since it took them so long to get it shipped out to me, and since they only had one color left in stock by that point even though they had given me two different colors to choose from, earlier, they said they would include the optional 510 adapter/topcap to make it into a regular mech mod. Which is good, because since I just have a regular 510 ohm reader, and no DMM I have no way to check the resistance/check for shorts on the hybrid dripper (no 510) and so I would not be able to use it in hybrid mode.

My third mech, I got when BV sent me the wrong topcap for the Neptune. The one they sent me was for the Neptune V2, and it did not fit on the tube of the V1. I wrote them back and they said that the V1 was no longer in production, and they had no remaining stock of the V1 topcap and no plans to restock them in the future. So they sent me another mod that I won't use, at least not until I'm a bit more comfortable with it, anyway. It's a pinless or "fake-hybrid" Rune mod by Aria Built. It has got a one-of-a-kind custom finish that they said would never be produced en masse, though, so it makes a nice conversation piece even if I'm too scared to ever use it.

And then just recently I got a fourth one, in yet another forum contest. GotVapes sent me a Fury-S mod by Smok. This one came with a 7A fuse for the switch, so it's perfect for my Kayfun Lite at roughly 1.1 ohm.

I still use the first one, and the last one. The middle two are sitting on the shelf, waiting for the day when I'll have the tools and/or experience I'd need to use them safely.

UnclePsyko

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 8, 2013
PJNY
My first mechanical is a 2013 Olive Drab Reo Grand with an orange door that was gifted to me by my wife when I reached my 1 year milestone.
It's currently just off to my right so I can type this. I use it every day as my main go-to, even though I now have 2 other grands and a 2015 Woodville. It's corners and edges are worn to the bare metal and it has plenty of dings and scratches but it's still perfect to me.
I haven't touched a regulated device since.

Grimwald

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 12, 2012
Lawrence KS
My first was a Madvapes 14500 box mod with a horn button switch and 808 threading (think they made it from a AA battery case). Not a true mech because of wires. I tried a bottom button mod but could never get used to that bottom switch...just couldn't find a comfortable way to hold it. They're all at the back of a drawer somewhere.

Reactions: Izan

LouisLeBeau

Shenaniganery Jedi! Too naughty for Sin Bin
ECF Veteran
Jul 23, 2013
Here's a picture of my first mechanical mod, a GP Paps v2.1:

GPPaps-Polished-Hybrid-1_zps0f3aec4f.jpg

I purchased it in April 2013 because I had quit smoking and was vaping exclusively for six months and I wanted a mechanical mod in case the FDA tried to regulate and ban electronic cigarettes (yes, it's been a genuine concern for years, not just in the past few months). Although I didn't use it initially, I came to fall in love with it and mechanical mods in general. I still prefer mechanical mods to regulated mods.

Where is my GP Paps v2.1 now? I still have it, along with a lot of other older and newer versions. Call it a sickness, but the 22mm GP Paps is my favorite mod, and I now have 12 of them (three v2s, one v2.1, three v2.5s, three v3s, and two v4s). I don't use my v2s, v2.1s, v2.5s, and v3s that often because I prefer to use a GP Paps v4 - the best mechanical mod that I own (unlike the v2.1, it has a recessed switch that can be locked and can stand up unlocked, the vent holes have been moved from the tube to the switch, the top cap has a self-adjusting center pin for both the battery and the atomizer as opposed to pins that need to be adjusted manually, and the logo is now CNC engraved instead of laser etched).

Here's a picture of my favorite mod:

54673C25-F0E5-4A39-911E-8D748BE0B692_zpsxkges3lx.jpg

I have some super lux mechs. The GP Paps that I won here, may actually be one of my favorites. SWEET positive spring loaded contact. Lock ring is GREAT as long as you actually only use it for that. Take the batt out the top to prevent locking up the lock ring. GREAT 510 connector. I piffed it to a mech lover.

My loveliest and most precious though... a gift from a famous modder/friend. Aesthetically, I've seen nothing that pleases me more.

vela.jpg

Jon Farrar

Moved On
May 18, 2016
  • Deleted by retired1

Falconeer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 27, 2015
Dunoon, West of Scotland.
I have a couple of mech mods I bought in Spain against any restrictions imposed by the EEC - direct to battery Dealaniemods Arcabuz models with Aventador drippers and they do still get regular use, usually in the evenings or when I am out hillwalking as they are strong enough to take a drop or six!

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

Reactions: Izan

conanthewarrior

ECF Veteran
Feb 2, 2014
Essex, England.
First thing I did when I bought my Nemmy clone was rip out the switch spring and replaced with magnets. Not a single issue with it.
Do you know if yours had issues of a hot fire switch with springs?

As I have some magnets, I could try them in my nemesis's, as I have a brass one that is doing nothing, and I would like to attempt to force patina a mod-doing it to the nemesis would be a good idea as even if I messed up the patina, I have not lost much as it is not getting use anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread