retired1

Administrator
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Texas
I am also getting back into the rebuildables and I think I can make the lower wattage work for us.

No reason why you can't. I primarily use gennies and mechs with a build between 1.2 and 1.5. Even on the regulated mod, it works just fine at 8W.

ddirtyvapes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2011
Portland, ME
It will all need to pass the FDA's new regulations through the form, as it stands now. Doesn't matter what kind it is.

A fully mechanical mod has fewer parts to fail. However, it is hard to find a quality device at a reasonable price. If you are a new vaper, regulated devices are safer. People are working hard to fight these regulations. In addition, even if they go through as they are, it probably wouldn't be hard to have someone make you a regulated mod down the road. They are just tubes or boxes with battery sleds and a switch.

I use both. I have more regulated mods and intend to get a couple to keep in boxes for now, but I have a full mech that would survive most anything and ideally will have one more.

It doesn't matter what I'm using, though. We have time. If you are new, do not go with a mechanical mod. Get either a good VV/VW device or else a good starter kit at a fixed voltage. There's really no need to go unregulated if you're super new, and it will be harder to zero in on your preferred vape besides.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Prior to the released Deeming Regulations by the FDA, I always recommended new vapers to go regulated over a mechanical mod. Simply safer to use by a beginner.

However, there is no guarantee that any regulated mod manufacturer will get approved by the FDA. Since I've heard it could cost upwards of $1,000,000 for each mod to get approved, I have a hunch that most manufacturers will go out of business.

Stockpiling regulated mods is an option, but since they are relatively fragile and probably can't be repaired, how many will be enough? A better option is to have at least one mechanical mod in your collection before 2018.

No electrical parts to fail. Much more durable than most regulated mods. A good regulated mod might last years; a good mech should last decades.

A Beginner's Guide to Your First Mechanical Mod

Myself, I have two dependable mechanical mods. I also have four regulated mods. I've learned to build my own coils and have two rebuildable drip atomizers. I have some 24mg nicotine base stored in my freezer. Batteries, wire, cotton, propylene glycol, vegetable glycerin, and flavoring agents will always be available because they are used by other industries.

Last edited:

Forkeh

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 16, 2012
California
Well, I think any experienced user who has the knowledge and willingness to use a mech mod safely, would do well to stock one with a few replacement parts, before the worst of the regulations go into effect. Worst case scenario? It may sit unused for a long period of time, but it's a good piece of mind to have. I'll be picking one up before August. It's just they they're very hard to break, and "fixing" them is usually as simple as swapping out the firing pin or a spring.

But for those of you who aren't particularly experienced, don't have the knowledge, and aren't inclined to learn and be very diligent with safety. I think you'd be better served by picking up a couple of extra regulated devices with a good reputation. And make sure you have something with replaceable batteries. They don't last forever.

ddirtyvapes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2011
Portland, ME
A couple? Quite a few people have dozens of them.

At least a couple. Not everyone can afford dozens, even the less expensive ones.

@Baditude you're absolute right, of course. In light of deeming regs if I could only pick one, I would go mechanical for the longevity. Still, for those that can afford more than one device, there's really no reason a regulated mod-- especially one without an internal battery that can die and leave it basically useless -- can't last a good long while with proper care. I mean, I'm more of a regulated person myself so I've had more than my fair share of failures. There's really no argument to be made that (most) mechs won't outlast (most) regulated devices which have way more parts to fail.

BUT. I take good care of my devices and have lots of older regulated mods that still work just dandy, even the ones that were never the best devices.

I don't have a ton of money to devote to ecigs, but because I've managed to hang on to so many of my past devices, I can rotate through them quite a bit. I am sure this is no small part of making my regulated devices last as long as they have. I'm only pointing this out to say that for the few among us who really have absolutely no interest in a mech, it's possible to make your regulated devices last a while. It's much easier if you have enough of them to rotate regularly.

Anyway, I'm really not arguing any of your points. I completely concur. I just still worry with new vapers and mechs, at least those who want to push the limits. If I could make sure that every new vaper with a mech and an RBA stayed at or above one ohm builds to start, I would. At least until they were not comfortable. Of course I can't ensure that and for a lot of people, the temptation is high. Because of this, for at least the next little while I have a hard time recommending ONLY a mech to a new user who can afford to have both. Plus, many particularly nice mechs are very expensive, though I know it's not impossible to find a quite good one for a decent price, especially if you are open to clones.

I just always err on the side of caution. I usually won't even put an RDA on my mech until I've got it working nicely on a regulated device.

But again, if I could truly only pick one with the deeming regs, no question it would be a [parallel] mech for me.

Last edited:

Completely Average

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 21, 2014
Suburbs of Dallas
The DNA chips are for Vaping, thus the FDA put in the regs anything used for Vaping is considered Tobacco and under their Authority to regulate.

Sent from my Android Tablet w/Tapatalk

Umm, no.

DNA chips are no more regulated than a 510 connector or battery sled. Chips do not need FDA approval because by themselves chips can do nothing. It's an electronics component, not a device.

By itself the chip is a voltage regulator that works off resistance changes. You may be familiar with these, you have them in your PC to control fan speed based on the temperature of the processor. The processor monitors resistance changes in the Digital Thermal Sensor, and then adjusts the fan speed based on that temperature. Evolv didn't invent brand new technology that no one had ever seen before, they simply tailored it for use in regulated mods for vaping. All they really did was make it so the coil is the Digital Thermal Sensor.

It's essentially one of these:

s-l1000.jpg

With the coil being the temperature probe.

At the absolute worst they would have to sell it as a Voltage Regulator with DTS interface.

Zipslack

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 26, 2013
Wesson, MS, USA
Learn some basic soldering skills, buy boards, like mentioned, get access to a 3D printer, and you can rebuild broken-down mods or even build from scratch.

I've noticed recently that FT seems to be listing a lot of "DIY" parts which are just parts of tanks or mods that you could buy to make an assembled unit. Maybe they've figured out a loophole?

FWIW, I have a few regulated and one mech (so far). I expect the mech to last outlast everything else I've got. With a simple RDA, it's my emergency backup.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
I use regulated but a mech, and the knowledge of how to use a mech, is a useful method of vaping that can hold up well over a long period. Even if a mech "breaks" (switch dies is about it, or the 510 connector gets messed up) it can usually be fixed with far less effort than a regulated. If you're mechanically inclined, you can even build your own in the future as long as you still have tanks to put on them.

I have several reasonably priced regulated mods right now. Everything I buy uses replaceable batteries so an internal, nonreplaceable battery won't end the life of the unit. I also just invested in one high end mod with a DNA 200 chip (no, I didn't need it, but the vapocalypse was a great way to rationalize it) which will hopefully remain in good working order for quite some time.

retired1

Administrator
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Texas
Hi, i'm new to vaping. I wonder what does Hydrid Mod mean? Does it mix mech mod and regulated mod? Anyone can explain it to me? Thanks in advance.

A true hybrid combines the mech mod and atomizer into one unit.

For example:

There are the iHybrids

puregreen2.jpg

Zen Hybrids

zenesis-mod-zen-gold-hybrid.jpg

And there are others.

These are not to be confused with the mods that claim to be hybrids, but aren't. The SIMPL mod is a prime example of this. It is not a hybrid mod.

tj99959

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    Not if you get a serous short and it goes BOOM, something that the reg. is built to prevent.

So I say it fairly equal in terms of durability if taken care of, but the reg. will always be the safer (virtually fool-proof) choice.

Everyone has their own favorite for their own reasons.

I use mechanicals the most. The one I use most is 6+ years old .... and no BOOMS ;)
    Yes most regulated mods are built to prevent this, YOU build to prevent it with a mechanical.
    So when you do your part, a mechanical is every bit as safe as a regulated mod.

retired1

Administrator
    Admin
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 5, 2013
    Texas
    The vast majority of e-cigarette incidents can be boiled down to user error (improper builds, wrong charger, etc.), not a faulty device or battery. And quite a few of those incidents were with eGo style batteries, not mechs.

If one pays attention to what they're doing on a mech, the chance of something going wrong is negligible.

Baditude

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 8, 2012
    Ridgeway, Ohio
    Hi, i'm new to vaping. I wonder what does Hydrid Mod mean? Does it mix mech mod and regulated mod? Anyone can explain it to me? Thanks in advance.
    Retired explained what a true hybrid mod is. It uses a proprietary juice attachment specifically for the mod.

image-jpg.542994

True hybrid mechanical mod

Faux hybrid, direct-battery, and/or hybrid top cap mechanical mods have no 510 center pin. In these specialty devices, the atomizer's center pin connects directly to the top of the battery. Unless the atomizer's center pin is extended beyond the 510 connector, then a hard short can occur and cause the battery to go into thermal runaway.

RoylegH.jpg

SMPL mechanical mod is a direct battery or faux hybrid mod. Note in the upper right pic that there is no center pin in the 510 connector. Looking into the 510 connector, you see the top of the battery.

20160129_151013-1-jpg.529201

Some mechanical mods offer two top caps, a normal 510 top (left) and a "hybrid" top (right).

510-connection-pin-550x329.jpg

Direct battery/faux hybrid mods require an extended center pin in the atomizer attachment, as shown in the first two pics above. No extended center pin (as in the 3rd pic) can cause a dangerous hard short to the battery.

A Beginner's Guide to Your First Mechanical Mod
    • Covers the differences between a mechanical vs. regulated mod, essential safety accessories, optional safety accessories to add layers of safety to your mech, routine maintanance, use of proper batteries, proper ventilation, low resistance vaping, and faux hybrid mods.

NealBJr

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jul 27, 2013
    Lawrenceville, Ga.
    I began reading this thread with high hopes and now they've gone flat. Yeah, I'm definitely experiencing that "deer in the headlights" feeling where mechanical mods are concerned. I go back and forth- should I get one, should I get two, should I just by a bunch more regulated mods?! Ugh.

I'll probably wind up buying only one mech mod as a back up in case/when things go Dark, just so I have one. I'll likely stash info with it on how to safely use it when my regulated devices conk out. In the meantime, I'll buy more regulated ones (that Provari V2 recommended earlier is tempting!), along with additional tanks, supplies to make my own e-liquids, and parts needed to practice rebuilding coils. But boy, the clock is ticking and my learning curve sure is tight!

I'm a late comer to this game (got my first two box mods last week). As of the official announcement of the FDA deeming, I'm spending virtually all of my free time learning how to be as confidently self sufficient here as possible. Sometimes it feels scary and random, but the epiphanies that come up after the scary moments pass keep me going. When that doesn't do the job, my disgust and distrust of the FDA does the trick.

Oddly enough, I feel more optimistic and less end of days "deer in the headlight" feeling. I do plan on doing what I can as far as advocacy goes, and I will continue to play the role of teacher when someone questions me about vaping. Vapes are now getting more in the limelight, and by now, almost everyone has at least HEARD about "ecigs". I will continue to openly vape in plain sight where appropriate in hopes someone will ask questions, and I will be ready with the answers.

Remember, Vaping itself is not illegal, just the selling of. I believe the industry will still go on. The government will loose it's power to tax it correctly. Unfortunately, there will be quite a bit fewer brick and mortar shops and things will still go on. I believe the bulk of the vaping industry is not centered around the US. Even though it was originally invented in the US, it really came into being by China. Most of the major players of Ecigs are Chinese (Innokin, Cloupor, Sigeli, Joytech, Kanger, Tesla, Smok, Eleaf to name a few)... those products will still be produced.

Advocacy will still happen. CASAA, #Fightforyourrighttovape, and AVA are getting stronger as the word gets out. If you look at those groups 5 years ago, they were much smaller or non existent. They are much stronger now than they were back then and they continue to grow. Keep supporting what you can. In my eyes, the first few years were like light sparring... this is when the fighting starts. And the vaping industry is much stronger than it was back then... Help spread the word and the truth.

now, off of soap box... mech or regulated, I always recommend regulated. But a mech mod is good if you have the knowledge to support it. They make great test bench devices, and a good emergency device if a regulated mod goes kaput and you're waiting for a replacement.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread