Nautilus mini burnt taste.

Status
Not open for further replies.
So after a week of enjoying my new nautilus mini, I started getting a burnt taste and noticed a reduction in vapor production. Figuring it was time to change the atomizer, I did so and was displeased to taste more burning after 30 minutes of letting it sit before firing. Now, I still get great vapor but the taste is HORRIBLE. I've tried just about everything. Help.

Sthur

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 14, 2013
Denver
I am still on my first coil and about 2-3 weeks on that coil. No problems with mine.

Did you run your tank dry and then burn the old coil? Possibly there is residue in the tank and might want to give it a cleaning with hot water.

Also hope your not cranking it up too high, I run mine at anywhere from 10-15 watts no problem.

drysprocket

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 11, 2014
Los Angeles
Cleaned it all out and same results. I'm pretty ....... Might just get I to rebuilding but money is too tight to be spending like that right now. Super ...... because I just spent so much money on my provari and nautilus mini

Man, I'm so bummed to hear this. I just came on here to try and figure out the same. It's actually my friend's tank that I put together for her, and we keep trying new coils/battery combos and something seems to be leaving that burning taste.

More specifically, it's her standard Nautilus tank using the new BVC's. They started out great, now it sounds really similar to your issue. I thought that it might be a cleaning issue, but I'm not starting to worry...especially after the old coils had issues. Damn.

Also note, I've had good luck so far with my mini, but I got a Hybrid replacement tank for my 2nd mini, and it tastes like metal burning so far:

Nautilus Replacement Tank -Metal

I'm trying to figure out the root cause of this all. I'll update you after my investigation produces something. But don't give up yet- I can't imagine a better vape when this thing is new and works well.

Last edited:
Man, I'm so bummed to hear this. I just came on here to try and figure out the same. It's actually my friend's tank that I put together for her, and we keep trying new coils/battery combos and something seems to be leaving that burning taste.

More specifically, it's her standard Nautilus tank using the new BVC's. They started out great, now it sounds really similar to your issue. I thought that it might be a cleaning issue, but I'm not starting to worry...especially after the old coils had issues. Damn.
Yeah man. I was LOVING my first coil. Now I guess I just have to buy a rebuild able tank like the fogger. On to bigger and better things I guess.

drysprocket

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 11, 2014
Los Angeles
Hmm, I wonder if this might have something to do with wear and tear. My friend's tank that's having problems- she carries it around in her purse all day, where as mine I keep at home most of the time. Any chance the problem tank is the one you take with you? Trying to pin this down....I really-really don't want these new coils to be the issue.

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas
So after a week of enjoying my new nautilus mini, I started getting a burnt taste and noticed a reduction in vapor production. Figuring it was time to change the atomizer, I did so and was displeased to taste more burning after 30 minutes of letting it sit before firing. Now, I still get great vapor but the taste is HORRIBLE. I've tried just about everything. Help.

Which heads are you using - standard or the newer bvc's?
What resistance at what voltage?

Paradicio

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 30, 2014
Altadena, CA
I've been using the BVC's in my regular Nautilus just fine. Coils last about a week and a half, which is great!

My wife, using coils from the same batch as me, only gets about 3 days on her Nautilus Mini. I can't explain why.... She doesn't vape as often as I do, so they aren't getting hit nearly as much. It's just weird.

edit: we both run our Nautilus' at 15 watts on Vaporsharks.

Matilo

Jul 30, 2014
United States
Did you try flushing out the air vents? I would guess that fluid residue in there could affect taste. I haven't actually tried doing this. But I would think if you filled the tank with vodka with no atty in it, then blew through the drip tip that the vodka would flow out the air control hole.

Yes, I just made this up.

P.S. You might not want to drink the vodka afterwards.

I normally clean out all components I receive, that means taking them apart and doing a wipe down including all of the internal parts. It sounds like your problem is a bad batch of atomizers, the burnt taste could be partially shorting wires ... make sure the E-Liquid has not turned and has been stored properly.

I suggest you look up a rebuild tutorial for those coils and see where that takes you. If everything is clean and new, you shouldnt be having this problem and if you have a local vape shop maybe they will have more insight/refund "if you bought local?" what seems to be a defective batch.

Gurgling is a *feature* of evod/to-go tanks and many bottom coil components, the best way to alleviate it is to take toilet paper, cover the drip tip and while firmly holding the tank shaking it briskly and at the end wiping the tip out cleanly. There is no PERFECT fix for it and unless the manufacturers get smart and redesign these clearomizers. If you dont want to rebuild coils or are still unable to fix the problem I would petition Aspire directly for support, they might appreciate being sent a batch of what appears to be faulty coils for review.

Last edited:

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas
BVC heads at 2.0 ohms running anywhere from 3.5 to 4.5 volts. Still burnt

Are you using a sweet juice?
Pg/vg ratio?
I thought bvc heads only came in 1.6 & 1.8.

So far no one to my knowledge has successfully re built bvc heads.
Sometimes a head that produces a burnt taste will taint the juice in the clearo, if that juice is returned to the bottle it will transfer the funk.

Are you using a sweet juice?
Pg/vg ratio?
I thought bvc heads only came in 1.6 & 1.8.

So far no one to my knowledge has successfully re built bvc heads.
Sometimes a head that produces a burnt taste will taint the juice in the clearo, if that juice is returned to the bottle it will transfer the funk.

I'm using mount baker vapors green apple 80/20 VG/PG. They say 1.8 but my provari reads 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread