Not open for further replies.

oplholik

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2011
San Bernardino area, So. Cal.
Ok, an update from me:

I quit smoking and started vaping March, 2011. I started vaping at 18mg of nic, and had worked my way down to 4mg. February2012, I was diagnosed with UC with most of the colon involved. Since then I have been on medications to try and get into remission. The meds haven't been doing a whole lot of good, except to allow me to be somewhat functional. Since then I have gone up on my nic level and have been vaping 10-12 mg's
Fast forward to June 26, 2013. I was in for a checkup and the Dr. says he wants to do another colonoscopy to see what's going on, as he fears this is going to need a more drastic treatment. I decided then, that I needed to try something I had been thinking about. One plan was to smoke 2-4 cigs a day to see if that would be enough to help clear this up. I really didn't want to go that route unless as a last resort. The other plan was to go back to 18mg of nic. This is what I have done.
I mixed up one of my flavors @ 18mg, and started vaping that frequently throughout the day along with my other mixes. Yesterday, the 9th of July, I had my colonoscopy. The Dr. was surprised, and amazed, at what he saw. The UC has cleared up, except for a small portion of the bottom of the colon. I have a follow up appointment next week to discuss what else we may need to do. Until then he told me not to change anything I'm doing.
I wanted to share this, in hopes that if there are any of you suffering from UC, going to a higher nic level may help you. It may not work for everyone, but apparently it has helped me, and as you can see, it didn't take long.

Today I called the Dr. He said that there is nothing bad in the biopsies he took, and the lower left side of the colon is fairly severe yet. He is sending in a prescription for a retention enema called either Rowasa, or Mesalamine. I take that every nite when I go to bed for 2 weeks, sleep on my left side, and try to keep it in all nite. I don't know how hard that is going to be to do. I have to get up a couple times during the nite.

Any experiences with this stuff from you folks?

oplholik

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2011
Wow, that's pretty amazing. I'm glad things are looking up (just read your story). So nicotine may have actually helped you? Interesting.

It sure looks that way to me. What I don't know, is 18mg necessary? Would 15, 12mg's do it? If 18, how much a day would be enough? Unfortunately, it's going to be up to me to do the experimenting. I'll stay with what I'm doing now, till, hopefully, it goes into remission.
Then I'll see what happens.

oplholik

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2011
I've been on the Mesalamine enemas since diagnosis 12/11. Not at all faithful with them, but they do help. Most on my UC forum swear by them.

I do mine at noon, take a quick nap, and hold it til my morning movement, sometimes just until that evening. I've heard that just a few hours is better than nothing.

I was last scoped April this year and still am mild to moderate, He wasn't happy, so he put me on 6MP, an Immuno-suppressant.

I may also try the 18mg, been on my mind also.

Best wishes...Bob ( You can PM me anytime)

P.S. What meds are you on now, Oplholik?

Thanks r77r. Currently I am on Prednisone, and Balsalazide(generic for Colazel). Was on Asacol before the Balsalazide. The Balsalazide seemed to do more good than the Asacol. The Dr. said the enemas should make an improvement in about a weeks time, if it does, after the two weeks, then I can start using it less. So I'll see how much it does for me. Since the problem is on the left side of the colon, that's the side I have to sleep on all nite. I'll be lucky to get 2 hrs. on my left side. I'm just not used to that, plus if I have to get up and get to the bathroom, I gotta get up. But who knows, maybe the 18mg nic will continue to help out, and I can hope it goes better than I think it will. I can only hope.

I am 70 yrs. old, so I have Medicare with a pretty good supplemental, and I hope this stuff isn't going to be one of those expensive prescriptions that I end up paying a fortune for. :(

r77r7r

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    Thanks r77r. Currently I am on Prednisone, and Balsalazide(generic for Colazel). Was on Asacol before the Balsalazide. The Balsalazide seemed to do more good than the Asacol. The Dr. said the enemas should make an improvement in about a weeks time, if it does, after the two weeks, then I can start using it less. So I'll see how much it does for me. Since the problem is on the left side of the colon, that's the side I have to sleep on all nite. I'll be lucky to get 2 hrs. on my left side. I'm just not used to that, plus if I have to get up and get to the bathroom, I gotta get up. But who knows, maybe the 18mg nic will continue to help out, and I can hope it goes better than I think it will. I can only hope.

I am 70 yrs. old, so I have Medicare with a pretty good supplemental, and I hope this stuff isn't going to be one of those expensive prescriptions that I end up paying a fortune for. :(

Hope the cost works out for you, they're really beneficial. Funny, mine were super cheap when I first got them ($20 for 3 months, 1aday), then they went to $200- still not super- expensive tho.
    I have heard that the brand name Colazol is much better than the generic. If you can get your doctor to prescribe it.

oplholik

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 22, 2011
    Hope the cost works out for you, they're really beneficial. Funny, mine were super cheap when I first got them ($20 for 3 months, 1aday), then they went to $200- still not super- expensive tho.
    I have heard that the brand name Colazol is much better than the generic. If you can get your doctor to prescribe it.

Thanks r77r, I'll keep that as an option. Got to give this other stuff a try, along with the nic, and see how it goes.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread