Vaping and the Police

Status
Not open for further replies.

GreenEyesDon'tLie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 26, 2012
MD, USA
Not quite true. This wouldn't be wiretapping. There would have to be a reasonable expectation of privacy in communication.

That said, just cooperate. Cops are people too, and most are decent to you if you are decent to them.

Video recording is actually covered in wiretapping laws, and if you're in your car that's technically private property where those laws apply. Whether you have to inform them or not varies by state, but the law applies to cops pulling you over for now. That may change though, since recording police incidents has started to become more common.

I agree on cooperation though. Much easier to just talk to the guy for 10 minutes and end up having a decent conversation than cause a lot of trouble.

hudson_macbeth

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 15, 2014
Levels, WV, USA
Video recording is actually covered in wiretapping laws, and if you're in your car that's technically private property where those laws apply. Whether you have to inform them or not varies by state, but the law applies to cops pulling you over for now. That may change though, since recording police incidents has started to become more common.

I agree on cooperation though. Much easier to just talk to the guy for 10 minutes and end up having a decent conversation than cause a lot of trouble.

true, but for it to apply the officer has to be in the car with you, no?

GreenEyesDon'tLie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 26, 2012
MD, USA
true, but for it to apply the officer has to be in the car with you, no?

That may vary by state as well, but I know that isn't true in MD. If the camera being used is on private property (in the car included), the law applies, but if you're out of the car it doesn't since you would both be on public property. There are a lot of weird technicalities like that with most wiretapping laws, I worked installing security cameras for a while and always hated trying to explain this stuff with all the weird caveats.

Equilibrium

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2014
Georgia
I dunno... call me weird but I don't get taunting the police. They're just doing their job. Now I don't like getting pulled over anymore than anyone else does. I prefer to get back on my way ASAP and having all the pertinent's and such ready and waiting along with being polite and respectful insures that this will happen. Being polite and respectful and not giving him/her a BS story has gotten me out of more tickets than I care to count.

sbc83

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 16, 2013
  • Deleted by retired1
  • Reason: Inappropriate and disruptive

hudson_macbeth

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 15, 2014
Levels, WV, USA
That may vary by state as well, but I know that isn't true in MD. If the camera being used is on private property (in the car included), the law applies, but if you're out of the car it doesn't since you would both be on public property. There are a lot of weird technicalities like that with most wiretapping laws, I worked installing security cameras for a while and always hated trying to explain this stuff with all the weird caveats.

Ah. Wv is a bit different then.

skoot05

Verified Member
Nov 28, 2013
Evans, GA
I am in law enforcement and can say that without a doubt we know what it is you are using. I myself have multiple APVs and Mech mods. I am seeing it more and more out in public and will say that the majority of LEOs will not pull you over or hassle you strictly on you vaping. I actually carry a couple of vendor cards with the CASAA website written on them and hand them out to the people I run into while in uniform that are either smoking or using an e-cig.

Ravensfan

ECF Veteran
Mar 1, 2013
Baltimore, MD
As to the original topic. I can't tell you the number of times I have vaped at a red light with a cop right next to me. It's not because I was being a jerk, it's just because I always vape at red lights. I'm sure they see me too. My car is bright orange and it's a convertible. I love vaping with the top down. I really don't think this is a problem at all.

retired1

Administrator
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Texas
If one has a question regarding the law and what's legal and what isn't, I'd highly recommend speaking with a lawyer or another law enforcement officer. As with quarterbacking, arm chair lawyering will only lead to grief if taken as gospel.

And, since my earlier request to stay on topic is blatantly being ignored by some, closing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread