Status
Not open for further replies.

The Big Chief

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Dec 14, 2009
Anderson, IN
I have finally had my first run in....
Im chilling at subways- yeah the sandwich place, waiting for a friend...The place is empty, its 8 pm, closing at 9...Im still being descreet with the reo mini, and ego. Anyhow, I inform the ladies when they ask if I'll be eating, That Im simply waiting for another party to arrive first. My buddy arrives, and a few customers also. So as were chillin, talking business, sherriff rolls up, and walks up to me asking if Im using "bath salts"....Took me a minute to register why hes asking about calgon products at subways, but whatever...I show the reo, explain its an odd looking e cig model, but has its purpose. Of course I didnt appreciate the scene, so I had to follow up with one, and call the manager out, and get owner contact info etc...But still boggles my mind why she wouldnt simply ask what it was herself, or at least request I take it outside, and open the door for explaination. I tell ya- some peoples kids :S....I wasn't hassled persay, was just a horrible way for any manager to act. Funny part was that she told cops I scared her...Im guessing it was the polo shirt, silver tabs, and shiny cowboy boots, military crew cut and lack of tat's and piercings that spelled out ex con with gun and itchy trigger finger.:confused::facepalm::vapor:

James Wall

ECF Veteran
Sep 23, 2010
DFW
C'mon folks, why be surprised if cops aren't shocked by e-cigs? Us folks that work for PD's are people too. Heck you would be surprised how many officers smoke and are lookin' for somethin' healthier to help 'em stop. The whole thing with police is general attitiude. If you aren't doing anything wrong don't act weird about it. Explain the e-cig if they ask, maybe you'll get a convert and help someone out. In my experience most time officers are responding to someone else's call in. Spread the word and be happy you're gettin' the word out. They're just doin' a job. As for other comments about how cops should have somethin' better to do, yeah they do, unfortunately they still have to respond to calls from the public no matter how stupid or unfounded those calls may be.

Elphaba13

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 30, 2011
Australia
www.freedomsmokeusa.com
I think it had more to do with the "swamp people" comment, but I'm not Elphaba13...

:)

Correct. The insulting of them, calling them swamp people, the awful comments about people doing their jobs, that's what bothered me. I'm not saying don't vape. FFS I'M a vaper.

Raynen

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 9, 2010
CT
gamingraynen.blogspot.com
I've been away for the weekend, but had another experience! My cottage is in a VERY very "middle of nowhere"-like place in Massachusetts. I love it because it's quiet and everyone just does their thing. I was at Mr. Mike's gas station/dunkin donuts, hungover and about to go home. I was in line for dunkin, and I was vaping and didn't realize that I was making quite the cloud of vapor. A cop tapped me on the shoulder and asked, "Hey, are you smoking in here?" and I said, "Oh, I'm sorry officer, I'm tired and I usually don't vape inside like this." He even tried my PV after I explained everything. Meanwhile, my best friend is in the car, watching this, and she thought I was going to get arrested :lol:

Ember

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2011
Tyler, TX
I don't want to stick my foot in it, but... for general education purposes:
I think the "Swamp people" comment was referring to the fact that the festivalgoers were folks who live on a bayou. A.K.A. Cajun. The poster of that comment is located in Louisiana, which is a bit.. um.. mucky in places. It's a pretty common moniker for those who live in and make their living in the swampy areas of southern Louisiana... there's even been a History channel documentary by that name. Swamp People - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Cops are not just cops, they're people too. They can be nice... just like people. They can be jerks.. just like people. They're trained to be inquisitive, and are generally delighted when I explain to them that what I'm "smoking" is not indeed a pipe of some kind.

LibertariaNate

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 7, 2011
Utah
I didn't find the "swamp people" comment offensive because I noticed it was made by someone in Louisiana. However, I can see how someone might consider it offensive if they weren't familiar with that particular part of the country and how many of them use that term for themselves.

Thanks for the clarification though. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread