vivi nova/clearo tanks vs. carto tanks……

Status
Not open for further replies.

mostapha

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2012
Atlanta, GA
Would someone describe the difference between vaping the two different devices if you could. I've vaped cartos (without tanks) and atomizers (dripping), and I'm curious how the clearo tanks (specifically the vivi nova) compares. I assume carto tanks feel about like cartos that stay "freshly filled" for longer. Yes?

mooreted

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 10, 2011
California
The clear tanks based on CE3 and CE4 designs don't have filler, so you don't get the filler taste. They work with varying degrees of success. When they work, they work well; no leaking, no burnt taste. When they fail, they fail spectacularly with tight draws and nasty burning wick flavor as well as leaking. I like the clearos, but they can be fiddly.

Currently I like the Phoenix bottom coil. I modded one as a dripping atomizer, and it works great for dripping. Out on the road I use them normally. They work really well when they are working, but you sometimes get a burnt taste and have to take a couple of primer puffs to get the atomizer wick wet. But, the flavor and vapor are amazing, so I keep using them.

I have not tried the ViVi Nova, but I hear good and bad about them as well. I guess it depends on whether you mind fiddling with stuff. Carto tanks tend to be more user friendly.

Jedipapa

ECF Veteran
Jun 16, 2012
Florida
The vivi nova 2.5 is great. The previous models were all that. There is a big difference. Carto tanks require a cartomizer that you have to punch a hole . Te tank is then put over the carto and filled. The juice then keeps the carto wet through the holes. Personally I don't like them. They are prone to leaking and you still get the filler taste,

The vivi nova is like a clearomizer. It uses wicks, doesn't leak a drop and is rebuildable. You can rewick the heads yourself if you want or can buy new heads. They last a lot longer than cartos

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

mostapha

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2012
Atlanta, GA
I know how they both work, but I'm not completely sure what the "filler taste" is. I have no problem slotting cartos (though i haven't done it), nor taking primer puffs because I'm just starting to upgrade from really cheap stuff.

I used cartos exclusively for a while and only started dripping recently. I slightly prefer it so far, but I'm also using really cheap no-name 901 cartos (also upgrading battery, and well, everything else). Dripping into my really cheap no-name 901 attys seem to work better so far, but that could have a good bit to do with just using older cartos for a few fills worth…I'm too lazy to clean them and didn't try dripping until they'd all been through a cycle or two……down to my last carto now and dripping almost exclusively.

If I went with the tank, I'd probably be ordering Boges and starting with a smoktech tank. The vivi nova would be a little more expensive, but not terribly so…and it's a lot cheaper than "good" tanks (cartomator, johnboy, etc.).

I know I'll eventually try both…just kinda wondering if the wick/nova thing is a bit closer to dripping…the design seems a bit closer……but, then, I've never taken apart a cartomizer……so I don't actually know how the juice gets from the polyfil to the heating element.

Last edited:

bnrkwest

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2011
Somewhere out there
I use carto pyrex tanks and I love them. Clearos- I like the concept but I don't like the performance, dry hits, burnt taste, etc. I have not used any that don't have issues, I don't think wicks work well in any of them, so that is why I prefer the carto glass tank set up. I never get filler taste with a tank carto, I think they work great. bnrk

Ezkill

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2012
Los Angeles
I've had great success with the vivi nova. I can't comment on it's use long term but for the first week it's been vaping like a champ and it doesn't leak. The taste is good. I find it hits a lot better and has more flavor then the same juice out of a Boge carto. the nova can be had for 10.99 and that includes 3 heads. It's pretty cheap. It's also supremely easy to fill and the head can be replaced in like 5 seconds even if the tank is 3/4 of the way full.

Frankly I'm a little put off by tanks. Some smoketech tanks take less then a pound of force to be pulled off the cartomizer. Pbusardo has a chart of the force required to pull a tank off the cartomizer for a substantial amount of tanks. I believe the Phiniac is currently the hardest to pull off. Check any of his youtube tank reviews as they all have a comparison chart. I just didn't want the hassle of accidentally grabbing my ProVari by the tank and dumping a bunch of juice everywhere.

That being said the nova is not perfect. The wicks are at the top so you have to tip it once in a while to avoid getting the occasional dry hit. It's not a big deal but some would find it annoying. I'm hoping one of the rebuildable atomizer tanks will be the perfect mouse trap. The down side to those is they are expensive 130-150 and are pretty hard to find. However, those that do have them already say it's the perfect vape and the perfect long term solution. I'll know more when my two units show up on friday.

Part of the fun of this is finding what works best for you. Everyone has different preferences.

SpicyMcHaggis

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 14, 2012
Hamilton Ohio
I've had great success with the vivi nova. I can't comment on it's use long term but for the first week it's been vaping like a champ and it doesn't leak. The taste is good. I find it hits a lot better and has more flavor then the same juice out of a Boge carto. the nova can be had for 10.99 and that includes 3 heads. It's pretty cheap. It's also supremely easy to fill and the head can be replaced in like 5 seconds even if the tank is 3/4 of the way full.

Where are you finding the 2.5's for $11?! Do tell...or maybe they aren't 2.5's and it's wishful thinking on my part?

r77r7r

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    Would someone describe the difference between vaping the two different devices if you could. I've vaped cartos (without tanks) and atomizers (dripping), and I'm curious how the clearo tanks (specifically the vivi nova) compares. I assume carto tanks feel about like cartos that stay "freshly filled" for longer. Yes?

Yes, freshly filled. Mine hits ALWAYS perfect. Not too wet, not dry. Maybe that's where folks get that taste of the filler thing from, or burning them. I've been using cartos for over a year and haven't gotten that "filler taste". And I use unflavored, so it doesn't cover anything up.

Tanks - Mom and Pop Vapor Shop

Vapoor eyes er

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Sep 13, 2011
    Toronto, Ont.
    I hear good and bad about the Stardust V2 and the Vivi Nova. Myself and about 30 friends are using the Stardust V2 without issue. I've been using mine for about 4 weeks and will soon be rebuilding it. I'm hearing both the Vivi Nova and the Stardust perform much better after the rebuild because the coils can be adjusted accordingly. I was using the Smok Tech 1.7 XL single coil with the Tanks - Mom and Pop Vapor Shop and really enjoyed it. Cartos were lasting about 2 weeks with a self punched 2.5 mm hole. With the carto/ tank there was no cleaning whereas with the clearo I'm cleaning every 2 days and it's quite simple. Vaping 60/ 40 PG/ VG. We have discovered with V2 clearos and carto/ tank the flavor is muted so seeing as I DIY I just add extra flavor.
    Cheers.

teamscon

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 3, 2012
    NC
    google vivi nova 2.5 ... Order some replacement heads for what ohm u like also while ur at it.

vivi takes 5mins to clean, dry burn, and use same head. I used one and cleaned twice in a week. Used another and its been going strong for 2 weeks havent cleaned at all. I like the nova alot, hasnt flooded once or leaked. stardusts were horrible thank god for vivi.

Flyer

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 13, 2012
    Illinois
    Gotvapes is a very reliable supplier of the Vivi Nova. Their website still indicates they are sold out. But check them in the next day or so. I used carto/tanks for quite a while and was satisfied.. When I tried the Vivi Nova, I instantly detected something different in the taste. I attributed it to the lack of filler in the carto, but who knows. I have went back and forth several times and still much prefer the taste of the Vivi Nova.

wolandepiphanius

Darth Wolandvader
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 22, 2012
    San Francisco, CA
    Clouds of Vapor also carries the Vivi Nova (and I think they're 2/5, but I could be wrong) for 11.95, but it seems they're out of stock right now. I like the Vivi Nova and got two of them. I also use the Phoenix 3.5 ml bottom coil. Both work fine, but as far as maintenance goes, I think the Vivi Nova is way better. As for taste, I personally can't tell if one of them is better than the other. Personally though, I'm probably going to stick with the Vivi Nova because of the replaceable wick system and the range of ohms, and it's so much easier to clean and put back together. I just got a carto tank system (I think it's smoketech's dct with dual coil cartos). But I'm new to vaping so I'm sure others here have more experience than me, but I hope this helps!

mostapha

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 26, 2012
    Atlanta, GA
    Since someone bumped this……

I ended up going with a carto tank for my first foray into this world (Smoktech DCT and a 1.7 Ohm single coil carto). Given the way grimmgreen was raving about the cartos you can get from ikenvape (when it's back online) I'll probably stick with that for a while. I'll probably end up buying a cartomator before a vivi nova, but I'm sure I'll try one in the future. I just have no problems with carto tanks (no leaking…taste is fine…perfect wicing with one big slot towards the bottom…and I really don't understand people who say they're hard to fill…haven't spilled a drop since the first time I did it) and I don't really have the time to experiment with something new, nor the extra juice to risk on something that seems so fiddley.

Ratman

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 10, 2012
    Tulsa OK
    I like the vape from the first half of a 2.4ohm vision long wick clearomizer at 3.7v but when it hits half way, it turns into a nasty demon from hell. I am waiting on my first carto tank, a Texas tuff tank from Vape Dudes. Hope it's the ticket. 2.0 LR and 2.5 SR Boge cartos have been most consistent for me but would like to get rid of that hint of polyfill taste and have more capacity.

thinkingaboutit

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 13, 2012
    mn
    Yes, freshly filled. Mine hits ALWAYS perfect. Not too wet, not dry. Maybe that's where folks get that taste of the filler thing from, or burning them. I've been using cartos for over a year and haven't gotten that "filler taste". And I use unflavored, so it doesn't cover anything up.

Tanks - Mom and Pop Vapor Shop

I love the fill hole idea. I wish someone would do that with a pyrex tank.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread