What should I smoke (oops mean vape) asthma episode + perfume probs

Status
Not open for further replies.

panzee

Jan 6, 2014
Kuwait
Ok, I'm new at vaping. been reading here alot + experimenting on too many ejuice/eliquid stuff.

Here's the situation, I have a little bit of asthma problem since I was a kid. It's not severe as I don't use inhalers or anything, but from time to time I will get asthma episode for few hrs then it goes away by itself.

Things that trigger asthma for me are the following (strong perfumes, Incense if it smells powerful, some blankets that has alot of fiber or whatever they are called)

Anyway I'm 32 yrs old. and I been smoking real cigs since I was 16. actually cigarettes were never a problem for my asthma. they don't trigger my asthma at all. few weeks ago I was introduced to e-cig, not knowing anything about them, I read online about them to get a little information and more understanding, and I like the idea.

so a week ago I bought my first e-cig, ego-t, and during the week I've been trying eliquids here and there to find the thing that would work for me.

So far i've tried, dekang USA MAX (they said its close to marlboro but it isn't), dekang blueberry, dekang mocha coffee.

Also tried another liquids that don't have a brand, and I don't know what their names, one of them is suppose to be like dunhill cig, also arent. the other one I have no idea what it is.

Anyway all of the above that I tried, gave me asthma episode, so you can see now why I am posting this. I think whenever I inhale these, it feels like (At least to me) that I'm putting a perfume inside my lungs, which is what exactly trigger my asthma so it has nothing to do with e-cig per se , but more to do with my problem with perfumes? But thats just my observation and feeling, because thats how I feel when I inhale ecig. feels like i'm smelling perfume, and to be more clear one of my eliquids are full VG, the other is more like 90 PG. so I've tried both ratio's, both are the same result.

If any of you have had a similar experience what did you do? does that mean e-cig is not for me, or is there a solution for me? thanks

Chawg

ECF Veteran
Jan 20, 2014
Irving, Texas
I've only been vaping for two weeks so I'm pretty ignorant on the subject. But I'm also curious about what the veterans of the forum think about this. Do some e liquids have fragrance added to them? My liquids all smell like the flavors they are. If that's the case, it could very well be the source of your episodes. What about Dekang? Have you researched their liquids or found any reviews on their liquids. Also I'd like to add that I'd use extreme caution about vaping anything that is "brandless."

EDIT: Just an afterthought, but I believe there are oils in incense. Not 100% on this. But as I understand it some companies use oils in their flavorings.

Note: This post is speculation on my part. I am by no means an expert. I'm only using what little CS I have left. :)

Last edited:

vapero

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 13, 2013
monterrey,mexico
I too have asthma and had done episodes all the beginning of vaping so I made some research and this is what I got...
Is not the vaping per se it's the quitting smoking that have you this
As your lungs are no longer damaged with cigarettes the become more sensitive to everything that's were the asthma kicks in
It will get better after s few days just keep your inhaler close for a while

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

CodyWilly

ECF Veteran
Apr 26, 2013
Denver, Colorado
I have asthma, not that bad, just like you. And I have been vaping for almost a year now off and on (smoked analogs for a few months). I rarely have vaping interfere with my asthma besides when i pick up my e-cig after a long term of not vaping. So I would have to say it's your lungs getting rid of all the tar and quitting smoking, as for the perfume topic. I'm not sure. I am using a local shop, vaporleaf juices and have no problem with any of it.

Hope you get it figured out! :)

Spazmelda

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2011
Ohio
I also have asthma, and certain flavors kick it off more than others. Lighter flavors are better all around for me. It has gotten somewhat better, but I did have to get an inhaler (especially when I exercise) which I never had to use when I was smoking. Go figure... I guess I figured my choices were 1. Stop smoking and vaping (unlikely) 2. Smoke and smell bad, get repeated bouts of bronchitis, high bp, and the possibility of worse future illnesses but not have asthma attacks, or 3. Vape light flavors and occasionally use an inhaler.

Interestingly, I prefer lighter flavors now (maybe has something to do with being able to breathe, lol).

I've read quite a few accounts of people who quit smoking suddenly developing asthma, or having childhood asthma recur. I don't know if it's a real thing, but there are some plausible biological mechanisms for that to occur. I've read that the tar and stuff from smoke kind of anesthetizes clogs the cilia in the airways. It does make some sense that when you quit smoking those cilia become more sensitive. Then again, most quit smoking websites say smoking is terrible for asthma. Maybe those who developed asthma after quitting are anomalies.

panzee

Jan 6, 2014
Kuwait
I too have asthma and had done episodes all the beginning of vaping so I made some research and this is what I got...
Is not the vaping per se it's the quitting smoking that have you this
As your lungs are no longer damaged with cigarettes the become more sensitive to everything that's were the asthma kicks in
It will get better after s few days just keep your inhaler close for a while

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

I have asthma, not that bad, just like you. And I have been vaping for almost a year now off and on (smoked analogs for a few months). I rarely have vaping interfere with my asthma besides when i pick up my e-cig after a long term of not vaping. So I would have to say it's your lungs getting rid of all the tar and quitting smoking, as for the perfume topic. I'm not sure. I am using a local shop, vaporleaf juices and have no problem with any of it.

Hope you get it figured out! :)

Thanks to the two above, but I haven't quitted cig yet. I am trying tho. but I really cut down on them....the reason why I havent stopped is side by side with the asthma thingy, once I get an episode from e-cig I freak out and stop using e-cig for awhile, during that time I would smoke a little, but I went down like from one and half pack a day to like 5 cig a day, helps me relax and if I get the episode of asthma from ecig I stop ecig and cig alltogether for couple of hours and it will be fine again.

I also have asthma, and certain flavors kick it off more than others. Lighter flavors are better all around for me. It has gotten somewhat better, but I did have to get an inhaler (especially when I exercise) which I never had to use when I was smoking. Go figure... I guess I figured my choices were 1. Stop smoking and vaping (unlikely) 2. Smoke and smell bad, get repeated bouts of bronchitis, high bp, and the possibility of worse future illnesses but not have asthma attacks, or 3. Vape light flavors and occasionally use an inhaler.

Interestingly, I prefer lighter flavors now (maybe has something to do with being able to breathe, lol).

I've read quite a few accounts of people who quit smoking suddenly developing asthma, or having childhood asthma recur. I don't know if it's a real thing, but there are some plausible biological mechanisms for that to occur. I've read that the tar and stuff from smoke kind of anesthetizes clogs the cilia in the airways. It does make some sense that when you quit smoking those cilia become more sensitive. Then again, most quit smoking websites say smoking is terrible for asthma. Maybe those who developed asthma after quitting are anomalies.

Thanks for all the info. to your first part of post, how can I know if it has little flavors? Thats the prob, because all eliquids are packaged, and I can't have a try on it before I buy them, so it kinda getting too much expenses for me, whenever I go to a guy that sells eliquid, I must buy it to try it, so you get what I'm saying, and they all got 10ml bottles the smallest, so I buy one, then use it and find out that its ugly, and throw it away, alot of money wasted man.

for the second part, I didn't quit the smoke yet, so it can't be that. its just a sudden thing when I use e-cig, same as if people who wear strong perfume sit close to me and have a chat, I get the same exact type of feel.

endGame

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 11, 2014
WA, USA
www.oughtvape.com
Also tried another liquids that don't have a brand, and I don't know what their names, one of them is suppose to be like dunhill cig, also arent. the other one I have no idea what it is.

Don't put stuff in your body that's not clearly sourced -- if you can't contact the vendor from info on the bottle don't use it. No one else knows what's in there either!

I've recently started using unflavored only and love it. I highly recommend. Sometimes I add ~10% of a flavor and I find that that's plenty for me.

Spazmelda

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2011
Ohio
Thanks for all the info. to your first part of post, how can I know if it has little flavors? Thats the prob, because all eliquids are packaged, and I can't have a try on it before I buy them, so it kinda getting too much expenses for me, whenever I go to a guy that sells eliquid, I must buy it to try it, so you get what I'm saying, and they all got 10ml bottles the smallest, so I buy one, then use it and find out that its ugly, and throw it away, alot of money wasted man.

for the second part, I didn't quit the smoke yet, so it can't be that. its just a sudden thing when I use e-cig, same as if people who wear strong perfume sit close to me and have a chat, I get the same exact type of feel.

Right, it can be hard to find light flavors. I do a lot of DIY myself, so I can make them as light as I need. You may not want to diy, but it's an approach that will let you fine tune your needs.

Another way to go about it is, like endgame said above, get some unflavored in your preferred nicotine strength, and dilute your flavors. I do still do this with some store bought liquids. If you are thrifty and have a good idea how much a particular liquid needs to be diluted, you can even buy a step up from the nic you need and dilute with unflavored no nic. For example there is a liquid I love, but the flavors are too intense and irritate my airways. I usually vape 10 mg/ml or lower these days. If I dilute 30 ml of that at 12 mg/ml with 10 ml of unflavored/no-nic I end up with 40 ml of 9 mg/ml with less intense flavor. For a quick experiment to see if this approach would work for you, you can buy some USP vegetable glycerin at Walmart (Humco Brand) and dilute 2 ml of a juice that's irritates you with 1 ml of the VG. It will cut your nic by 1/3, but it will let you see if lowering the flavor percentages helps.

Those are a fewer options. Both require a bit of work that's for sure, but IMO it's worth it.

likeego

ECF Veteran
Jan 17, 2013
Montreal, QC
One thing to add. If you are using heavily PG (propylene glycol) based liquids maybe you will want to try vegetable glycerine liquid. There is some speculation that PG may be a bit of a respiratory irritant. Don't know if it is true or not but it may be part of your asthma trigger. Just a thought. Good luck :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ambientech

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 27, 2011
somewhere
I have asthma also and like you smoking never bothered it but vaping does. Cold dry air and vaping throws my asthma into overdrive so I have to lay off heavy PG and heavy flavors during this time of the year. I have found that taking long steaming hot showers helps to keep vaping from drying out my lungs too much during this time of year. Once the humidity comes back I can vape just about anything without issue.

Myrany

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2013
Louisiana
One thing I have noticed with Dekang in specific is it really needs to steep.

I find it very perfumey if I do not leave the cap off the bottle for a good week (shaking daily). Then leave it capped in a dark place for another week (shaking daily).

Yes Dekang I believe is 80PG/20VG so it is a heavy PG juice.

ccv1

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 24, 2013
Houma, La, USA
there are quite a LOT of vapers here who vape unflavored ejuice.

That would be my choice if I had asthma

or DIY and only use a tiny bit of flavoring, maybe something minty as that tends to give a strong vape even if you don't put much in.

GL

+1 on unflavored juice. I really enjoy it. It might be worth a try for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread