Why Clearomiser over Carto Tank

Status
Not open for further replies.

hanzo.esq

ECF Veteran
Jul 2, 2013
TX
It seems to me that the common recommendation for newbies getting off a 1+ PAD habit is a VV 510/eGo threaded battery with a clearomiser topper (CE#, EVOD, Vivi, Kanger).

My experience is limited, but I think that's a fine recommendation.

I recently discovered the carto tank idea (IBTanked, Valley Vapes), which looks perfectly reasonable and equally as simple to use.

Why is the common recommendation for a newbie to start with a clearomiser over a carto tank?

Vocabulary/terminology corrections welcomed.

Hanzo.

Thrasher

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Madeira beach, Fla
none really except ease of usage. you fill a clearo and go, last thing you want is to discourage someone from sticking with it by instantly talking about how to fill the tank (you may need a special tool) or priming cartos and making sure you got 2 hole cartos for your juice or was it 3? do you punch your own or what brand prepunched did you get?

if you can just get someone started with two steps, screw clearo on and fill. they are more apt to stick around and see whats next.

Bill's Magic Vapor

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 8, 2013
USA
Clearos are easier to fill, clean, rebuildable, etc. Cartos and Tanks have the advantage in a better vape, both flavor and vapor, imho. Cartos require more effort and more maintenance, so I use them at home, while I use the clearos, particularly bottom coils when out and about. My two cents: slightly better vape with the cartos/tanks, again, imho. Best to you.

23duncster23

ECF Veteran
Jun 25, 2013
US
Yeah I've really enjoyed clearos just for the ease of use. Have to agree Thrasher, to get people into a whole new thing that they have no clue about you really want to make it as easy as possible. Analogs are pretty easy to go back to if you were trying to start people off with making their own wicks, mods etc and use cartos. Gotta start small and work your way up. It would be pretty easy to go back to analogs if it took several minutes of prep just to vape every time haha.

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
..........Why is the common recommendation for a newbie to start with a clearomiser over a carto tank?.....................

Because the majority of people responding to a "newb" is other "newbs" who have no comparative experience. They use a clearo so they think everyone should use a clearo.

I've used cleros, cartos, carto tanks and atomizers. Clearos would be my LAST recommendation. A carto tank is way more consistent, easier to use, much easier to maintain and does not have that "airy" draw that so many clearos have.

Atomizers provide the best hit and flavor but require more maintenance and are more hassle.

Anyone who thinks cartos are more difficult is doing something wrong (user error). I put a new carto in a 5ml tank every 7 - 14 days and do nothing to maintain it but add more eliquid before going to bed at night. And it NEVER leaks. Pretty simple.

Last edited:

james chapman

ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Kerrville Texas
I started with the pre-filled cartos,then the CE4. I use the ValleyVape tanks and they are excellent. I have the cheapo 7.99,the one I call the Texas tuff tank. I use the Boge SR and he has some of the best prices,on the pre-punched cartos. If you order 5 pks,it gets cheaper and it is good to have them on hand. The tanks can take any juice you put in it without cracking. The owner is a good guy,well he is a Texan and I'm a little partial. Happy Vape trails to you:vapor:

SonHouse

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 7, 2013
Seminole
Personally, I think the clearomizer's are easier to maintain. They also produce greater vapor for me and are easier to switch liquids in, important when you're starting out and trying to find your daily vape. Carto Tanks have to be setup for the thickness of the juice and when you switch liquids, I personally lose about a mg of juice that is saturating the carto. I do find that they give me the best flavor though when they are on. To me, you really don't want a newbie worrying about tweaks details when they're starting out.

Adam the Aussie

ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2011
Australia
I love carto tanks, I have a huge collection of Bellas, Kir Fanis and a few others. I prefer them over clearos for flavour. What would I recommend to a new vaper? Either a Vision Vivi Nova or a Kanger Evod, just doesn't get any easier than that. The performance of clearos has come a long way, they're not perfect, but for someone trying vaping for the first time, they'll get a good idea if vaping is for them or not.

vrodder

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 4, 2013
East Central Alabama
Thrasher nailer it !!! Even my vape shops suggest clearos to newbs. But then again, I believe in KISS. Now that I have a wee bit of experience I'm going to give cartos a shot. One of my vape shops has a tasting bar & they use cartos and the taste on the bar has been better than what I get with my Evod & ProTank.

VAPE ON !!!! :vapor:

VegasSparky

Jul 11, 2013
LV,NV
Thrasher nailer it !!!

Gotta agree. When I decided to put the stinkies down, I needed something that was simple to use, and quick to understand. First purchase was a couple of Atmos 510 kits, some extra chargers, dual USB adapters for all my cars, portable power packs for charging away from other power sources, and several bottles of juice. Not knowing how long batteries would last, how reliable the equipment was, and how much juice I'd vape in a day prompted me to buy that stuff. Last thing I wanted was to run into was a technical difficulty in the early stages.

hanzo.esq

ECF Veteran
Jul 2, 2013
TX
you fill a clearo and go... or ... discourage someone ... with ... how to fill the tank... special tool ... priming cartos ... 2 hole cartos ... or was it 3... punch your own

I don't like carto-tanks...messy

Clearos are easier to fill, clean, rebuildable... Cartos ... Tanks have ... better vape... more effort and ... maintenance

A carto tank is ... more consistent, easier to use ... much easier to maintain

Thanks to everyone for the input. I've been using my carto tanks for 3 days now. I don't think they are any harder to use than my CE4 or ISmoka BCC. I do agree that carto tanks are a little messy to fill. I think the vape is comparable to the clearomisers.

My CE4 leaked like an octogenarian eating raisins - right out the bottom fast. My ISmoka BCC only leaked once per filling and required some wick removal to work OK.

The carto tanks have been more reliable to just punch, fill, and vape. They haven't leaked on my battery or surprised me with a dry hit. I haven't had to futz with them as much as the clearomisers. I use less paper towels. Carto tanks let me just fake smoke, which is all I really wanted to do.

Now that I have a little comparison data, I think carto tanks are a reasonable next step for someone upgrading from a cig-a-like. I agree that carto tanks are not perfect, but neither are clearomisers.

I think this assessment is fair (even though he has recently started RBA mad science):
PBusardo said:
When you have a good carto in there and it's properly punched ... and properly filled there is ... not a more trouble free, position independent, consistent device out there as far as getting through a ... tank of eliquid.

Just wanted to offer my experiences. YMMV.

Hanzo.

k-sider

Verified Member
Jun 14, 2013
United States
I think the clearos are cheap and fit with the ego batteries and thats probably why they are recommended.

The thing I don't like about the Kangers I've tried is the plastic tip on the t2 and t3, and the airy draw on the t3 and protank. I keep saying it in my new posts here so I hope I'm not being annoying. What IS annoying is the money I keep spending trying different things, but I do enjoy it so I tell myself its not a waste.

I find the cartomizers to be better, especially if you don't mind dripping. The carto tank is a bit of a pain to fill. I'm getting a small syringe with my juice order so I suspect that will be very helpful.

Also, cartos really aren't particularly expensive compared to the replacement heads for the kanger style tanks. Changing flavors on a carto is a little less easy since you still have to deal with the juice in the carto without trying to burn it dry. However you do get the option of different drip tips and I like metal since it is not porous and doesn't get smelly like the t2's do if you use it a whole bunch.

I'm still newb-ish so take my comments with a grain of salt but I have spent a load of time and a few hundred bucks so I do have a definite opinion :D

Last edited:

bertopl

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 4, 2013
Las Vegas, NV
with just two or three clearos and a pack of coils it's pretty easy and cheap to rotate flavors for a long while. when you finish juice in a clearo, fill up another one, rinse the other one out and rotate. I haven't swapped many coils out in over a month. also, I keep my PV in my back pocket pretty often during the day and sometimes forget it's there. don't know if I'd trust my carto tank to hold together as well.

hanzo.esq

ECF Veteran
Jul 2, 2013
TX
I took my smoking buddy to a Vape Meet this weekend. In 1 hour, he was asking questions about vaping that took me 2 weeks to get to. That vape meet was surprisingly awesome for quickly educating a smoker. Oh, and it was so nice to be able to smoke in a bar again even if it was fake smoking.

Anyway, he was very resistant, but I saved him from stick batteries. I think giving him my ego with a BCC of peanut butter cookie helped him over that hurdle.

I couldn't get him to go with a carto tank. He didn't care that pretty much everyone there had some kind of ego/mod with a carto tank on it. He didn't care that the owner of Spring Vapor and I both highly recommended carto tanks. He didn't even care that the BCC I gave him to vape on started leaking in his hands. He said, "I don't want to have to go all Home Depot on it - I just want to smoke." He didn't want to hear about pre-punched cartos.

In the end, he got 2 x 1300 mAh vision spinners and an EVOD. I am 100% sure he'll be happy with that rig... for a while.

Unfortunately, you guys were right. Carto tanks appear to be just one step too far for a newbie. Thank goodness there is something simple, functional, and good looking like the EVOD.

Hanzo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread