Status
Not open for further replies.

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
I'm still new to vaping (2 months) but I prefer what I'm getting from the clearo's I've tried over the cartomizers that come with the Ego kits. I like a cool hit and those carto's that come with the kit are pretty hot. I don't know, maybe I'm a simple guy but I'm happy with clearomizers.

I believe you are referring to the EGO Atomizer/Tank - totally different. The e-liquid tank snaps onto an atomizer and if wicking is poor you get very hot nasty hits.:glare:

Bill's Magic Vapor

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 8, 2013
USA
A good carto tank does not leak. With the right refilling tools, such as the SYM from Big Daddy Vapor, they are easy to refill. For those of us whose taste has not returned 100% and still cannot taste the filler, the carto is by far the best (Non-RBA) vape I've ever had, and I've tried more than 40 different clearos, including the Protank and my beloved Davide (IMHO, YMMV). My new Phiniac has me in vaping Nirvana:

Dragon Phiniac Tank.jpg

I also have the IBTanked in 19 and 22. Also, very good. Wife also love the Phiniac (Moon Fairy). Highly recommended, fabulous vape, no leaking, really, really great, imho. YMMV, just ordered the Titanium caps. I'm in love with these:

Sandblasted Tanks - Phiniac Glass

Just a personal preference. But if you haven't tried good cartos (I like Boges standard in SR/LR), and I'm not talking about the ones that come in the kits, the tanks, from FT, etc. - GOOD CARTOS. You just don't know what you're missing yet. My two cents. Best to you!

yzer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2011
Northern California
It's definitely easier to start with a clearo than a carto tank. In fact, clearos are easier to use than a carto alone. A stand-alone carto can provide better vapor than most clearos but they require almost as much topping-off as a dripping atomizer to avoid burning. I love a good carto tank. Decent carto tanks provide the most dense vapor possible from a carto and greatly extend carto life in the process. Well-designed carto tanks aren't cheap: I recommend IBTanked for starters. A good carto tank will not leak. With the right tools refilling is virtually no-mess. Punching cartos or using pre-punched cartos is a choice. I punch my own. Sure, the e-liquid PG/VG ratio will affect the number of holes to put into a carto for tank use, but clearos often require wick adjustments for the same reason.

19 mm tanks (XL or standard) are a good match for eGo battery devices.

IBTanked - Get Tanked With Us!

fistofsouth

Verified Member
Jul 10, 2013
United States
Lots of great advice in this thread. Here's my experience.

I started with a standard ego and the crappy little plastic tip those used to come with. That was over a year ago and I was never able to make the switch from analogs. Eventually I went straight back to my 2 to 3 packs a day of Djarium Blacks.

About 6 weeks ago I had an upper GI endoscopy (read a small camera down my throat) and was informed that I have Barrett's Esophagus. This means if I continued to smoke I would, WOULD not might get throat cancer. Something had to change. The second time around I went with a tank (original ViVi Nova) and my experience was better, but not like my blacks. Then I went trough a few VV mods finally settling on the Vamo2 I now have and found a vape that perfectly duplicated my cloves. There was just one massive problem; my tanks leaked.

Initially I had some leakage issues due to over-tightening. I figured out the er of my ways and stopped doing that, but still would eventually get leaks. Then I discovered (on here) that clove oil, strong cinnamon and menthol can cause tanks to leak and in some instances even crack or melt tanks. That is the issue with an easy set-up; it works great if you are just vaping tobacco flavored e-liquid, but can be a NIGHTMARE for those with tastes such as mine. Glass was not an option as I am a klutz. So until I learned about rebuildables, Pyrex and stainless steel tanks I was in serious danger.

As was posted earlier on in this thread look into Valley View Vapes: About Us!

They are affordable, built like an Abrams and made in Texas, Republic of. Yes I am biased for all things Texan, but a good product is a good product.

To all of those that sell vaping gear PLEASE ask what the person is switching from. Clearos and standard tanks work fine for some, but for people like me they are just an exercise in frustration.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Is something like this a good starter cartotank setup for an Ego battery? Smoktech EgO Dual Coil Tank (DCT)

You "can" go with that as your first tank, but it would not be my first recommendation, or my second. You often get what your pay for. You'll have a far better first tank experience if you get just a little better quality tank than the one in your link. Below are my first and second recommendations.

My Vapor Store Polypropylene DCT complete tank kit $22. Tank that is safe for all flavors, including the crackers/melters. Choice of 5 pre-punched cartomizers and a drip tip. 510 Pro DCTank Combo

IBTanked Pyrex Cartotank complete tank kit $25 - $30 depending upon size of tank. Glass is also safe from all of those juices that crack/melt polycarbonate plastic tubes. One prepunched carto and a drip tip that doubles as a tank tool. Complete Tanks

Different drip tips (mouth pieces) and additional cartomizers available on the website.

I recommend reading and using my Cartotank Setup Guide from my blog: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/blogs/baditude/3710-5-cartomizer-tank-setup.html

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
One word of Warning - While good Carto tanks will not leak - i.e. they have decent seals
A carto itself can be another matter.

My very first Tank was a leaker.(Carto leak) Brand name Carto, but it thought it was a straw! :laugh: Replaced with another, same brand carto and loving life:D There is no way to know for certain if anything we purchase will or will not work as intended until used.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
One word of Warning - While good Carto tanks will not leak - i.e. they have decent seals
A carto itself can be another matter.

My very first Tank was a leaker.(Carto leak) Brand name Carto, but it thought it was a straw! :laugh: Replaced with another, same brand carto and loving life:D There is no way to know for certain if anything we purchase will or will not work as intended until used.
Cartomizers, as well as clearomizers, all come from Chinese manufacturing plants. These are all hand made by factory workers, and the quality control can leave much to be desired. It is not at all uncommon to get DOA cartos/clearos, unfortunately we must accept this as a fact of life as there are no other options. If it is any condolence, cartomizers are only $2 each or less if purchased in bulk. We spent upwards of $6 a day on smokes and didn't think anything of it. Most cartomizers will last 1 - 3 weeks if you use them properly; a pretty thrifty purchase if compared to cigarettes.

Last edited:

Koman

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 7, 2010
lv
A good carto tank does not leak. With the right refilling tools, such as the SYM from Big Daddy Vapor, they are easy to refill. For those of us whose taste has not returned 100% and still cannot taste the filler, the carto is by far the best (Non-RBA) vape I've ever had, and I've tried more than 40 different clearos, including the Protank and my beloved Davide (IMHO, YMMV). My new Phiniac has me in vaping Nirvana:

View attachment 238785

I also have the IBTanked in 19 and 22. Also, very good. Wife also love the Phiniac (Moon Fairy). Highly recommended, fabulous vape, no leaking, really, really great, imho. YMMV, just ordered the Titanium caps. I'm in love with these:

Sandblasted Tanks - Phiniac Glass

Just a personal preference. But if you haven't tried good cartos (I like Boges standard in SR/LR), and I'm not talking about the ones that come in the kits, the tanks, from FT, etc. - GOOD CARTOS. You just don't know what you're missing yet. My two cents. Best to you!
That looks cool!

r77r7r

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    I think some of it is just that many beginners want something nice looking. Even when clearos first came out and were mostly junk, they sold because they looked a whole lot better than a black cartomiser.

I think it's great that it's there as an option for a newcomer. And testing different juices.

Personally, for price, quality, and the need to never make a modification on, I'll stick to carto-tanks.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread