Wooden Mod (need Input)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ruppy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 1, 2010
WV
OK I have been working on a wooden mod. I have the case done and Im pondering how to put the guts in. Id love some input from the pros.

WP_000141.jpg WP_000143.jpg WP_000144.jpg WP_000146.jpg WP_000145.jpg

Ill follow up in the next post the ideas im toying with

Ruppy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 1, 2010
WV
OK first thought is this ..... Nice and simple idea2.jpg

Ive also thought about side mounting the switch and stacking the batts...... Plenty of room for lots of thoughts but I want to be sure before I start drilling.....

seems text was too small.....

TOp left is switch , right 808 connector

Middle 8100 board

Below the board is a divider with batts below it.

Ruppy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 1, 2010
WV
I might add that you have the light shining inwards rather than outwards, so the components are glowing subtly. Might there be room for 2 18650's in the sides and the electronics in the middle running lengthwise?
Yes keeping the lights somewhat unobtrusive is a must. 2 18650s might fit but it would be massively tight.
Just a thought... ergonomically, is the switch on top the most comfortable or would a side mount be better?
Side mount wiould be better for ease of use. However the gaps I left myself may not be beig enough for the switch.

wolflrv

ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2010
Tennessee
Awesome job on the woodworking! Dunno if you've done a basic 2AA box mod yet, but I'd do one or two of those first and experiment with placement in the box and also try out a few switches, before cutting up the wooden box. You'll get a better idea of what you need to do. Also madvapes has other boxes that might closely fit your actual dimensions, so you could also experiment with those first.

Ruppy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 1, 2010
WV
Awesome job on the woodworking! Dunno if you've done a basic 2AA box mod yet, but I'd do one or two of those first and experiment with placement in the box and also try out a few switches, before cutting up the wooden box. You'll get a better idea of what you need to do. Also madvapes has other boxes that might closely fit your actual dimensions, so you could also experiment with those first.

This will be my 10th box at least. Ive done something different in almost every one leading up to this. I had a plan but when I was done realized that the hex design had changed my working area considerably. Basically I lost 1/3 of the workable area. Placing the slots in the wood looked cool but took up alot of prime surface area for switch placement. Basically I had to throw my ideas to the wind and here we are :) I have gained some great ideas so far though.

Ruppy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 1, 2010
WV
Tight as in not enough space in the middle? If you need the batts in the bottom and electronics on the top then maybe 2 18500's?
So far, it looks like the batts in the bottom is the best method. It leaves the entire top open and uses the least amount of space. Usually my 8100 boards take about the space of a AA battery. I really need to hone my soldering to get the size down a little.....

My real dilema at this point is what switch to use. I have a nice C&K but it will put a nut on the outside of the box. I also have a black horn switch but I am thinking I want something a little nicer this go around. WillyB posted some superb looking SS switches but they look huge. Shame I cant find a 3A SS switch that will fit under a half inch hole.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread