Wooden Mod (need Input)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ruppy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 1, 2010
WV
Gummy, I don't think your pic allows for the angled sides, you've set them in the wall. The boosted 18650 would fit though. If the 8100W, then maybe 2 18500's and the circuitry running sideways along the top?? The connector probably wont stick in much, and the pot doesn't need to be on the board--This is looking tighter than I 1st thought...
THe connector dosent stick through at all. I think im going to countersink it ever so slightly to make a sort of juice well. Otherwise ill have over 1/8 of an inch below the connector. to the bottom side of the cap.
Just a quick and dirty photoshop. Just trying to show that the batts don't have to go all the way down to the bottom/back wall.
Hey Ruppy,,,
What does the side measure?
And the bottom/back wall while your at it.

Ill have to measure in the morning I left the case on my desk at work. Each side of the back three sections of the hex are approximately 1 inch and the two front most sides are about 1/2 inch. Ill post more accurately in the morning.

Last edited:

Zen~

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2010
Spencerport, NY
THe connector dosent stick through at all. I think im going to countersink it ever so slightly to make a sort of juice well. Otherwise ill have over 1/8 of an inch below the connector. to the bottom side of the cap.

Ill have to measure in the morning I left the case on my desk at work. Each side of the back three sections of the hex are approximately 1 inch and the two front most sides are about 1/2 inch. Ill post more accurately in the morning.

If you get me the exact thickness of the top, I'll make you a connector/juice well out of brass that will fit it exactly

Ruppy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 1, 2010
WV
These are the measurements. I also included the original plan for the connector for reference. the depth of the 808/901 connector I have is 6mm. As noted in the drawing the wood is 9mm thick on the top plate.

measure.jpg

Para

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 15, 2010
Texas
(H) 3.7" x (W)2.3" x 1" inside space but the fact that its hex on one side takes out a decent amount of usable space. Planning on 18350 or 16340 batts.

Guess I should have paid more attention in Geometry and I would know the actual usable area lol

If you decide to use 16340's, take a peek at Madvapes VV chip.....it's CHEAP and works really well. I put the combo in the Hammond box I used for the swing arm mod and there's PLENTY of extra room. It shows the pot mounted on the board, but you can remote wire it anywhere. It might be what you are looking for.

Ruppy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 1, 2010
WV
If you decide to use 16340's, take a peek at Madvapes VV chip.....it's CHEAP and works really well. I put the combo in the Hammond box I used for the swing arm mod and there's PLENTY of extra room. It shows the pot mounted on the board, but you can remote wire it anywhere. It might be what you are looking for.
Ive used those in a few boxes. They have worked very well for me. Honestly, at least for me, the only plus to using one of the TI boards over it is effeiciency. Beyond that, the VV board from madvapes works just as well.

Once I mount the switch and batteries well see how much room is left over. I have at least one of every board laying on the bench. Surely I can jam one of them in there :p

Did you ever have any luck finding a voltage display under 33mm?
Here's a brass juice well I made up for you... A 901/808 connector will press fit perfectly... I would put one in but I have the unslotted 901 connectors and they don't work well with 808

dripcup.jpg

Shoot me a pm with your address and I'll get it in the mail tomorrow
It looks awesome Zen. As I said in the PM tell me what I can do for you!

You going to get that new lathe today? if so be safe in your journey.

Last edited:

Zen~

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2010
Spencerport, NY
I got 1st dibs on the old lathe that your throwing away.

LOL... not throwing it away... I'm keeping it so I can use it as a second operation machine for threading... One of the biggest time-sinks I have when working on PV's is setting the machine up for threading... now I'll have a machine for turning/boring and one for threading... a huge advantage.

Gummy Bear

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 10, 2010
orlando fl
agummybear.deviantart.com
LOL... not throwing it away... I'm keeping it so I can use it as a second operation machine for threading... One of the biggest time-sinks I have when working on PV's is setting the machine up for threading... now I'll have a machine for turning/boring and one for threading... a huge advantage.

,,,,,,,,,damn,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Well you can't blame a gummy for trying.

Ruppy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 1, 2010
WV
OK I got this thing going. It is still a work in progress as I am waiting on a better switch and am working on a 8100 board if I can get it small enough.

Currently I tossed a madvapes VV board and two 16340s in it.

Thanks to Zen this thing looks fantastic! the catch cup literally made the PV.

WP_000198.jpg WP_000196.jpg WP_000159.jpg WP_000160.jpg WP_000163.jpg

The adjuster for voltage is inside the round hole above the switch :)

Last edited:

Ruppy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 1, 2010
WV
I'm glad I could help... that's a GREAT looking PV!

Yeah it turned out great! I cant wait until I get the updated switch in it. that will really finish it off. Shame I cant get a brass switch to match the cup and inlay. The black one I have coming will still look better though.

What makes it even better, I made it! :)

Thanks to everyone in the modders forum for helping make this possible

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread