Status
Not open for further replies.

stpeters

Feb 24, 2009
This may stir up a argument, but is it just me or are we (e-smokers) starting to sound like a bunch of stoners and .... addicts? (never been one, so not sure)

I'm referring to the words used to name various aspects of smoking electronic cigarettes and cigars. Yeah, yeah - they are just words. But how you name things can greatly change how others perceive those things. This is starting to worry me due to the upcoming showdown between the fringe users (we are fringe, admit it) of electronic smoking devices and the general public. The one outcome I do not want is where e-juice is a controlled substance with cops busting in my doors late at night. :(

For example: I am smoking en electronic cigarette, and someone curious comes up to me and asks "What the heck is that thing?". I could say "It's a personal vaporizer. I am vaping some of my favorite e-juice, you should try it!"

At least to most people in America (may vary in other countries), this would be A BAD IDEA. Many would immediately draw a straight line in their head between me and that scary looking guy on the corner in a REALLY bad neighborhood. Might even get the cops called on me. "Hello police? This guy is sitting on his porch smoking some 'juice' or something from a vaporizer. He said it was 'vaping', whatever THAT means... you are going to send someone by to check? Thank you officer."

Now if I said instead: "It's an electronic cigarette" (which I already have to a few people in my conservative town). They then say "Really? Weird... how does it work?". I respond "I load some tobacco essence oil into it and it converts it to tar-free vapor when I smoke, kinda like those fog machines in movies."

They usually then say something like: "Interesting, I should tell my brother about that. He really should stop smoking, or at least cut back a bit". Or they just chuckle and walk away. Both good responses. No cops called. No one concerned about what I am doing to their neighborhood.

--

See what a difference simple words can make?

--

Also, I would never dare "cook" up a batch of "e-juice" at home using the tobacco plants (Dutch Shorts) I have started in my windowsill for use while "vaping". I would instead "brew" some "tobacco essence" - along with some coffee to pass the time - to "smoke in my electronic cigar".

The general public (and local police) likely would frown on the first explanation, but shrug their shoulders on the second.

I know it may seem petty, but isn't that how the world works? I am waiting for the day when I see a report on the news where they proclaim in gravely concerned voices: "Apparently, there is a new type of drug user hitting our streets. People are cooking up 'e-juice' to use in small 'personal vaporizers'. Devices like these have long been used with illegal drugs, but this time it is a special form of chemically altered tobacco."

8-o

IMHO we shouldn't underestimate the power of certain words, and the connotations they may carry. Thoughts?

stpeters

Feb 24, 2009
My explanation would be "It's like fog juice plus flavoring and optional nicotine". There really shouldn't be a problem with the police.

That one works nicely. I guess I'm personal to "tobacco essence" since it just sounds so classy. Like the vanilla essence used in fine cooking.

An if I ever said the words "vaping", "e-juice" or "personal vaporizer" in my town - yes, there would quickly be a problem with the local sheriff. And he even smokes! This is a relatively innocent smaller city, like most of middle America, and anything even hinting at illicit drug use is not tolerated for long. But the smoking rate is pretty high.

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
You made a pertinent and accurate observation, Stpeters. I once wrote a lengthy rant on this forum over calling e-liquid "juice". OMG. That's pure drug talk. And so is "vaping". We do not vape juice!

And we do not have hypodermic syringes lying around to extract juice that we order online from China so we can inject it into drug delivery devices that we suck until a vapor of unknown purity and substance reaches our lungs.

Arrrrrgh.

I see your point.

Liberate_Yourself

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Nov 14, 2008
U.S.
www.smokeliberation.com
There is nothing at all wrong or strange about free-basing juice.. is there? Hahaha. Seriously though, some terminology has raised an eyebrow.. but if it means the difference between operating freely, and getting shut down.. I'd stick with the funky sounding stuff. If the cops come by (which they have for a few people on the forum already) a quick explanation has sufficed. Plus with the response time for a call like that, you would probably be long gone by the time the fuzz arrived. lol. :p

I still think you have a great point though. "cooking" juice and the whole syringes thing kinda makes it feel a bit weird at times.

Elle

ECF Veteran
Feb 9, 2009
Orange County, CA
We do not vape juice!

O-M-G :lol: !!! you just made me seriously "LOL" tbob, you're awesome. may i use that for my new signature?? that's gold.

no but seriously, aside from the fact that for some reason i found that sentence HILARIOUS, i totally agree. :)

from time to time i use jargon here on the boards but never irl, because for one thing i feel its bad manners to use jargon of any kind out of context, and for 2, for the most part this is so new to most people i'm self conscious about "sending the wrong message".

z3r0

ECF Veteran
Mar 2, 2009
Ringgold, Ga
Lol, i work in a carpet mill and smoking is strictly prohibited ... like YOUR FIRED

I brought my borrowed (for the time being) e-cig and dropped a couple jaws...

Imagine this, explaining how it works to 6 different bosses and numerous co-workers!!

I prolly came up with 30 ways to say how it works ... either way they all walked away in amazement and thought it was pretty neat... VAPE ON

DCrist721

ECF Veteran
Feb 15, 2009
Long Island, NY
I get bad reactions when I call it an electronic cigarette too though. When I call it a nicotine inhaler I never have a problem. And I just refer to the e-liquid as "refills for my nicotine inhaler." I recently said something about e-liquid to a friend who was unfamiliar with e-cigs and he said, "No way! You can get E in liquid form? Why have you been holding out on me man?" he was of coarse referring to ecstasy, lol, so I haven't called it e-liquid anywhere but this forum since then.

Last edited:

stpeters

Feb 24, 2009
So what's the ideal way to refer to e-liquid/e-juice?

I'm writing about the electronic cigarette (for want of a better term) at the moment, and I'm pretty much at a loss as to what to call anything any more.

Is e-liquid less open to misinterpretation than e-juice?

I'd be grateful for some opinions.

I say we follow the cosmetic industry's example. They mix some god-awful stuff into little bottles and expect people to smear it on their naked skin. They have perfected the art of spin like no politician could ever hope to.

Hence the term "essence" as in "essential oils":

An essential oil is a concentrated, hydrophobic liquid containing volatile aroma compounds from plants. They are also known as volatile or ethereal oils, or simply as the "oil of" the plant material from which they were extracted, such as oil of clove. An oil is "essential" in the sense that it carries a distinctive scent, or essence, of the plant. Essential oils do not as a group need to have any specific chemical properties in common, beyond conveying characteristic fragrances. They are not to be confused with essential fatty acids.

Essential oils are generally extracted by distillation. Other processes include expression, or solvent extraction. They are used in perfumes, cosmetics and bath products, for flavoring food and drink, and for scenting incense and household cleaning products.
Seems to me that the active ingredient in e-juice is an "essential oil" of tobacco leaves (or bell pepper leaves, or tomato leaves). It is usually produced through solvent extraction in the factory, or distillation and/or expression in the home.

Perhaps "essential oils, distilled water, and propylene glycerol". Sounds like something you would buy at a health spa, right?

Here is a example conversation: "Have you tried the new Totally Wicked Green Apple essence? Nah, I like the French Vanilla essence myself." Or maybe just "smoke oil". Sounds as harmless as the olive oil on my shelf. We could buy it from the Smoke Oil merchants. Plus it is a play on words against "Snake Oil". :D

---

The world is happy and needs not concern themselves with us tobacco essence weirdos. We are harmless...

<waves hand to invoke jedi mind trick>

E in liquid form? Oh no - it goes from bad to worse. But I have to call it something when I'm writing about it.

Having said that, I've managed to get away without calling my in-laws anything for over 20 years, so maybe it is possible, hmmm.

Seriously, it must be something that brings up results when searched on-line.

I can introduce other, perhaps better names alongside it. But for now, it has to be e-juice or e-liquid. I'm guessing e-liquid is the better of two options.

So, e-liquid, also known as ????? Any ideas?

stpeters

Feb 24, 2009
We are not fooling anyone, as soon as you put this thing to your lips everyone equates it with smoking and all the bad conotations that go with it.

That is fine with me. Cigarette smoking is a hundred times better then being associated with "shady" illegal drug use. Pick your poison, I suppose.

My hope is to 1) see electronic cigarettes take the place of regular cigarettes - both in body and spirit. Then 2) since electronic cigarettes are much more benign, it disarms the various anti movements and "the new smoking" is quietly tolerated akin to heavy coffee (or alcohol) drinking is today.

stpeters

Feb 24, 2009
My hope is to 1) see electronic cigarettes take the place of regular cigarettes - both in body and spirit. Then 2) since electronic cigarettes are much more benign, it disarms the various anti movements and "the new smoking" is quietly tolerated akin to heavy coffee (or alcohol) drinking is today.

Oops! I think this exact scenario is what most concerns the moral fascists. I suppose it induces cold sweats and clammy palms in their ranks. Hence all the recent negative press. Oh well, they hold only limited (and temporary) sway over public opinion. When they banned alcohol on moral grounds, we all quickly discovered that the alternate can be much MUCH worse. Sounds familiar, eh?

Back OT, nicquid is catchy...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread