Dani from dicodes, what chip is in there? Updated nivel?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SINphul

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 15, 2013
Ashburn, VA
Awesome! I can't wait! How much did you pay? The only site I saw it on wouldn't ship to USA?
(Where are you)

I paid 160 euros for a Dani Extreme L, plus an extra 42 euros to get it shipped with insurance from Germany to the US. I live in northern Virginia.

Dicodes won't sell any of their products directly to the US (for the moment at least), but I found a vape shop owner who sold it to me in a private sale. He can probably hook you up too, if you're interested. His website is here: Akkuträger nach Maß aus Deutscher Herstellung - PB-Dampfer

I just used the contact form on the site to get in touch with him. Very nice guy, and very fast shipping (considering it was international).

I'm at work tonight, but I'll post tonight after using it a bit and taking some photos :)

SINphul

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 15, 2013
Ashburn, VA
Ok, so I've been using it throughout the night, and I have to say I am very, very happy with my Dicodes Dani purchase. Pictures of the Dani (with a Rose v2 atomizer) are attached below, along with a side-by-side view of the Dicodes Dani Extreme L and a Provari v2 in 18650 mode (for size comparison).

First, the looks: absolutely beautiful. It looks like a high end mech mod. Very minimalist in design and sharp looking. It appears to be all brushed stainless steel (including the very sturdy fire button), with a very small cut out for the screen. The only markings on it are a nice engraving of a coal mining rig on the side of the mod, a serial number on the top cap, and the Dicodes logo on the bottom cap.

As for size, it's nice and compact. Even though I purchased the larger 18650 version, it's still about a half inch shorter than my Provari in 18650 mode. It's also a perfect 22mm diameter, unlike the Provari's 23mm diameter, meaning it looks great with my 22mm atomizers. Despite it's smaller size, it has a nice, weighty feel to it; it definitely does not feel like a cheap device.

It is a single button device, which some might take issue with. Since I'm used to my Provari, I personally don't mind it at all. Where the Dani surpasses the Provari is the fact that it remembers what menu option you last used, so you don't have to scroll very far (if at all) to get to frequently used functions.

The level of customizability in the menu system is fantastic. It has all the standards (power up, power down, check resistance, check battery), but then you can also used the Dani's extended functions. You can set an auto shutoff time after periods of inactivity. You can change between 0.5 and 1 watt power increments, screen luminosity, clicks to turn on, clicks to get into the menu system, etc.

All this, plus the fact that it can hit 20 watts and fire down to a 0.7 ohm coil makes this a huge winner in my book. I highly recommend getting one if you don't mind shipping it from Germany.

My only negative with the device is that it does not have a floating/adjustable center pin. For me, it's not a major issue, as most of my atomizers do have an adjustable post to achieve a flush look. If your atomizer doesn't have an adjustable post, at worst you'll have a very slight gap between the device and atomizer. They do include some spacer discs however, if your obsessive about that sort of thing.

Dicodes unfortunately does not (as of yet) ship to the United States, due to insurance reasons. To get around this, I ordered it in a private sale from a German vape shop owner. His website can be found here: Akkuträger nach Maß aus Deutscher Herstellung - PB-Dampfer Simply use the contact form on that website, and he'll give you the instructions on how to place a private order. Super fast shipping and great customer service.

If you're looking for a more in-depth look, I highly recommend checking out Safer Vapers review of the device (these guys are awesome and hilarious): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3F-8sHrNP4

Feel free to hit me up with any questions about it.

IMG_2392.jpg

IMG_2393.jpg

IMG_2394.jpg

Last edited:

Phone Guy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2013
Arlington, Texas - USA
Great summary. I've seen the review from those guys and from Scott Bonner (igetcha69 on YouTube).

The looks of the thing are amazing and gorgeous, I didn't realize it was so short (a good thing).

I've seen the menu structure on the review videos and they look confusing and intimidating, however the SvoeMesto semovar menu looks confusing on the videos, and I own one of those and understand it's menu quite well...LOL.

Little disappointed to hear about the lack of adjustable 510 pin, just goes to show you that no mod is without it's flaws or cons :(

Ok so here is the big question for me, what is the difference between AC and DC output current for us vapers? I also recall something in one of the reviews about changing the Hz of the output? Like maybe from 50 Hz to 100 Hz or something like that? Again not exactly sure what's the deal with that? I had heard it was something about sub ohm? I dunno... and that makes me wonder if the thing's output signal is PWM or flat like the DNA or nivel chip?

Sorry for all the questions immediately after you've just gotten it...play around a few days and I'll (we'll) check back in a couple days. :) I'm subscribed.....

Enjoy and congratulations!

Last edited:

SINphul

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 15, 2013
Ashburn, VA
To be honest, I have no idea what the difference is between AC and DC in these devices. I've heard that the Dani's use of AC nets us extended battery life, but I can't say for sure yet.

Regarding the mode switching, there is the option to switch between the default 200kHz mode and a 50kHz mode. The manual leads me to believe that it has something to do with how the device detects the resistance of your atomizer, but I'm no electrical engineer. Will scout out some of the UK forums to see if I can get more info.

Last edited:

SINphul

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 15, 2013
Ashburn, VA
From the manual:

SA selects between two different ways of AC-measurement. When set to 1 the linearised measurement is chosen (50kHz), whereas when set to 0 a 200kHz measurement is performed. The AC-resistance value is displayed when pressing the button after the DC-value in Co (Check ohms) is displayed.

SINphul

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 15, 2013
Ashburn, VA
So one thing to note, in using it today. It doesn't seem to like one of my AW 18650 2000mah batteries. Even though the battery reads 4.2v on all other devices, the Dani reads it as 3.5v. Weird, because my other Efest 18650 2000mah batteries work just fine in it. Will have to keep testing, but thought I'd mention it here.

SINphul

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 15, 2013
Ashburn, VA
Yeah, I read up on it and I found that after using the device, the check battery function shows you the battery voltage under load. This explains why it showed me 4.2v one second and 3.5v the next. That, coupled with the fact that I changed the device options to cutoff at when a battery hit 3.5v was causing the Dani to warn me the battery was low.

Went into options again and changed the cutoff to 3.3v, and all is well now. False alarm on my part. Strange though that my AW has such a significant voltage drop, where my Efests do not. Oh well, happy vaper again :)

SINphul

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 15, 2013
Ashburn, VA
Also, while the device is AC, it can show you both it's AC and DC resistances (my guess is so as not to confuse people like us who have been using only DC devices). Since AC current tends to travel along the surface of the wire (instead of the full cross section, like DC), it's resistance tends to be higher than what we'd see with DC.

Since the device is VW only, I don't think any of this matters much to us end users, since it's calculating the resistance for us, but interesting nonetheless.

The switching between 50 and 200kHz seems to be purely for testing the AC resistance using two possible methods. Whether or not this option changes the voltage applied is my only outstanding question. In testing the two, I haven't noticed a change in vape quality at all; just a change in what the Dani outputs as my AC resistance.

Phone Guy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2013
Arlington, Texas - USA
Dude, if your getting a 0.7v drop, that battery is done.
There's a thread somewhere and it talks about internal resistance, and lower IR causes less sag (voltage loss) and better overall drain.

I'm using Sony vtc5's, excellent batteries at about $10 each a deal. I've got a few Panasonic 3400 mAh, and I honestly think my vtc5's give me longer vape time at 2600 mAh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread