Status
Not open for further replies.

dwcraig1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2012
Imperial Beach, California
Yeah, my same thought exactly. If you set it for DNAs, which TCR did you find the best? I can't remember right now and don't have escribe here to check, but I'm pretty sure it was in the 190 ballpark (instead of the nominal 138)
About right, I did my testing with dry cotton, the only thing that I do with cotton these days. Been using rayon for quite awhile. (cotton's good too)

Reactions: cigatron

ndb70

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 19, 2014
Florence, Italy
About right, I did my testing with dry cotton, the only thing that I do with cotton these days. Been using rayon for quite awhile. (cotton's good too)

Ahah! Pretty much the same on that too. "Cotton for testing, rayon for vaping" is my game.
I keep around pre-rolled cotton strips just for when I'm tuning some atom or testing new wires...

Reactions: cigatron

ShowerHead

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2014
Massachusetts
Why not? Just curious, I sometimes use it on DNAs with a tcr~190 (found thorugh water/dry cotton testing) and doesn't seem too bad. Do you have any specific issues with it?

That’s the issue. Some will say ‘Oh it’s an alloy’ and I agree. It’s a specific alloy with known characteristics.
I don’t have the desire to test wire to determine this spool’s TCR.
So, I avoid CW.

That policy has worked well for me.

ndb70

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 19, 2014
Florence, Italy
That’s the issue. Some will say ‘Oh it’s an alloy’ and I agree. It’s a specific alloy with known characteristics.
I don’t have the desire to test wire to determine this spool’s TCR.
So, I avoid CW.

That policy has worked well for me.

Fair enough, I was just wondering if you had any specific concern about its characteristics that I wasn't aware of, but I take that's not the case

cigatron

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 14, 2014
clinton ar
No problems at all with Unk, Temco or Zivipf wire here either. SS430, 316L and NiFe42 (52 alloy) all work great and dryburn at redish/orange color with no ill effects. The GR1 Ti from Unk works awesome as well, love the stuff. I haven't tried any of the newer designer wires.
I try all the new "magic" wicking mediums as they are offered though, but always go back to Rayon.

ShowerHead

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2014
Massachusetts
I've been using my 2 strand 25 gauge twisted Crazywire SS430 coil for 10 days now and still alive to post it.
I'm using it with an 60 watt SXK VS rDNA40 clone which has a nickel purity setting so TCR is guess work anyway.

Nobody claimed it isn’t wire.
Just that it is not SS430

jhelliwell

Fog master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 23, 2013
Sheffielld, UK
Did this thread die? Must resist the temptation to resurrect it.

Failed! LoL

Oh well. I got fed up of using SS - it's TC accuracy is too low with it's low flat TCR. So I ordered some 0.4mm Zirconium from zivipf.com. It's TCR wasn't listed on the site, so I used the one from steam engine (440) and it was way out. I had to guesstimate, and I reckon a TCR of 355 works for me. It seems great. It has high resistivity so a 7 wrap coil comes out at 0.35 ohms, and the TCR is high enough for great accuracy.

I wonder about its longevity. (Like NiFe48 can't cope with being dry burned at all). I guess I'll find out!

Reactions: dwcraig1

dwcraig1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2012
Imperial Beach, California
I've used twisted 28 gauge SS430 (2 strands) almost always for the past year or so, resistance change is way greater than SS3xxx. But I'm currently using a 2 strand Clapton that I made a long time ago but never used till now. 2 strands of 29 gauge Dicodes NiFe30 wrapped with 36 gauge Kanthal.
Going to make similar with 28 gauge SS430 if I can get on the ball here.

cigatron

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 14, 2014
clinton ar
(Like NiFe48 can't cope with being dry burned at all)

First I've heard of that. I've had NiFe48 (52 alloy) coils in an Aromamizer for close to 6 months and dryburned it umpteen times. I just let off the power as soon as the wraps turn red. Dryburning any hotter than that is not needed for any wire.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread