hittman

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Somewhere between here and there
    I've got it in a kfl+ on an istick. It seems good around 7.5-8watts. I'm slowly building my flavors on hand. I got the graham cracker and marshmallow for the pie recipe and got sweet and tart to try with the orange recipe I've been working on.

ItTechy

Information Tragedy dOOd
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 4, 2009
    The State of Confusion
    Bill and everyone who can solve the mystery - something weird happened yesterday.

The first DIY I mixed off my own bat is something I mix with watermelon, peach, vanilla custard, pinacolada and EM. It is a clear juice and has always stayed clear in all my atties. I generally vape at somewhere between 8 and 10 watts.

Yesterday though I rebuilt my Nautilus bvc coil head and it turned out 1.6 ohms so the 10 watts wasn't really cutting it so I switched to the iStick to go up to 14-15 watts. Now comes the strange happening - my juice turned pink to purple! Could it be the extra heat?

I used kanthal 28awg and genuine Ko Gen Do cotton in my build.

Any thoughts?

Heat will generally "brown" a liquid, and ultimately it can give a e-liquid a "toasty" taste ...

Are you using organic cotton?

In BVC' you rebuild one cannot pre-burn their coils, and if there are any contaminants on the wire or cotton (even skin oil) this can cause some discoloration.

On BVC' a great way to clean them before use is to rinse them in PGA before first use, and let them dry thoroughly; now then when you go to use any carto /coil assy that you have cleaned in PGA, although dry, be sure not to inhale like the first 5 puffs or so, as the vape will generally be very harsh from the PGA (It will cross your eyes, and take you breath away if you inhale it, trust me on this one)!

I use a double shot glass, fill it enough to cover the carto and swirl /swish it around. Dump the PGA and repeat, now let it soak about 30 minutes, then remove it to dry.

:toast:

Papillon61

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Mar 22, 2015
    Sunshine Isle
    Thanks Techy. I am using organic cotton - but then you never know, right...it's what they write on the packaging but you can never know for sure. I have never washed the cotton... always thought it was too flimsy to be washed but obviously it can be done. I don't have PGA - would some other alcohol like vodka be OK.. or maybe just PG?

hittman

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Somewhere between here and there
    I noticed when I first tried it that the lemon flavor was fairly strong. Overnight the flavors have combined more. It's a very good recipe. Thanks Bill. Now I need to see what I can do with my mandarin orange flavor that I've been working on since I now have the sweet and tart that Bill recommended.

Bill's Magic Vapor

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 8, 2013
    USA
    I thought I saw a link on here for bottles somewhere............?

Anyway I saw these on Amazon, and I don't think I've ever seen a dozen 30ML glass bottles with droppers for $7.00

$6.70 (prime) for 30 ml dropper boston rounds is a great price. If they were amber, I might buy a dozen. Nice find! :toast: :D

:2cool: :vapor:

Reactions: ItTechy

Tamer El-Meehy

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 30, 2014
    Cairo, Egypt, Egypt
    Bill and everyone who can solve the mystery - something weird happened yesterday.

The first DIY I mixed off my own bat is something I mix with watermelon, peach, vanilla custard, pinacolada and EM. It is a clear juice and has always stayed clear in all my atties. I generally vape at somewhere between 8 and 10 watts.

Yesterday though I rebuilt my Nautilus bvc coil head and it turned out 1.6 ohms so the 10 watts wasn't really cutting it so I switched to the iStick to go up to 14-15 watts. Now comes the strange happening - my juice turned pink to purple! Could it be the extra heat?

I used kanthal 28awg and genuine Ko Gen Do cotton in my build.

Any thoughts?

You rebuilt your nautilus BVC? ..I know it's a side topic, but I'd like to know how :)

Tamer El-Meehy

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 30, 2014
    Cairo, Egypt, Egypt
    It's not that strict, just that most of us don't have a lot of experience with flavors made by other brands. With the ingredients above, you can make creams and custards (unsweetened) as supporting flavors for you juicy peach. You can see my post above about different bases, but, generally, many sweet dessert type juices will benefit greatly from vanillas, creams and sweeteners. Personally, I like to pair sweet cream with sweetener, and Bavarian cream with cotton candy. Both will benefit with a bit of vanilla swirl, which may be the sweetest of the TFA vanillas. Personally, I can't mix without all of them. Two cents. :toast: :D

Thanks Bill..always the helpful dude..I'll just jump right in :)

Papillon61

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Mar 22, 2015
    Sunshine Isle
    You rebuilt your nautilus BVC? ..I know it's a side topic, but I'd like to know how :)

Actually it was quite easy, even though the tools i really needed hadn't arrived yet - they have now but the deed was already done. I followed a video tutorial by Hawkeye. The only thing I did differently and which makes it even easier and gives better results is that I inserted a blunt syringe needle into the centre of the coil and left it there until such time as I was ready to insert back the bottom pin. This has two purposes - 1. Keeping the coil centred and in place and 2. making sure the airway remains clear - that is essential because otherwise the coil head would be unusable (as happened to me when I followed the Rip Trippers tutorial about the same subject.... even he had to be apologetic about the tight draw.)

In the meantime I have since also rebuilt the smaller Aspire BVCs which I use in my K1s on the sticklike Innokin vvvw using basically the same method.

One other thing you should be prepared for - this uses organic cotton. Now even though washed, boiled or whatever, in my experience the cotton takes some time to really break in. You might initially get a bit of an odd taste but that soon passes and from then on you will be delighted.

You might find this calculator helpful, in case you don't already know about it. I try to build my coils within the ohm range my various mods can handle.

Now go for it - it's fun. :D You may not succeed the first time round but you'll soon get the hang of it.

PS: I didn't have a blow torch when I did this but I do have a gas stove in the kitchen - improvising is the better part of it. :)

Edited to add something about the wicking between the inner tube and the the outer sleeve. Hawkeye puts it in the outer sleeve and then pushes it in , which he admits is a pain in the behind. I found it much easier and way quicker to wrap the wicking round the inner tube and then fit the outer sleeve over it.

Last edited:

b.m.

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 30, 2014
    Ohio
    Heat will generally "brown" a liquid, and ultimately it can give a e-liquid a "toasty" taste ...
    That's what most of mine have done if i heat steeped them,was to turn a golden brown color,but i have had 2 that turned varying shades of pink.One was a medium pastel type of pink,the other was an almost dark neon hot pink haha.I think brand of nicotine may play a factor on that when heat or oxidation is concerned.I have a few different brands of nicotine stored,and i can't remember which brand it was,but when i first opened the liter bottles to put them in glass,one of them had a bit of liquid that was inside the cap,and it had turned pink,the rest of the bottle was still clear,but very visibly pink in the inside of the cap.

Papillon61

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Mar 22, 2015
    Sunshine Isle
    I think brand of nicotine may play a factor on that when heat or oxidation is concerned.I have a few different brands of nicotine stored,and i can't remember which brand it was,but when i first opened the liter bottles to put them in glass,one of them had a bit of liquid that was inside the cap,and it had turned pink,the rest of the bottle was still clear,but very visibly pink in the inside of the cap.

You know - I think that is really a very plausible explanation. I too have various brands of nicbase (you know, with the vapocalypse and all that, especially here in Europe.) It is very likely that I used a different brand of nicotine in the last batch of my ADV that I mixed.

ItTechy

Information Tragedy dOOd
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 4, 2009
    The State of Confusion
    Thanks Techy. I am using organic cotton - but then you never know, right...it's what they write on the packaging but you can never know for sure. I have never washed the cotton... always thought it was too flimsy to be washed but obviously it can be done. I don't have PGA - would some other alcohol like vodka be OK.. or maybe just PG?

I would invest in some KGD cotton.

If PGA is unavailable use 100 proof Vodka.

PG by itself will not clean anything as it is not a solvent so to speak.

I used to use the Walgreen' organic until I finally got the KGD from Ebay, and I use the Walgreen' for drip well filler if need be, but never for wicking anymore.

Here is a link to the seller straight from japan, she is a very sweet Japanese lady!

mono_jp :thumb:

She does not have any cotton right now, but I'm sure she would be happy to get some for you!

Last edited:

ItTechy

Information Tragedy dOOd
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 4, 2009
    The State of Confusion
    That's what most of mine have done if i heat steeped them,was to turn a golden brown color,but i have had 2 that turned varying shades of pink.One was a medium pastel type of pink,the other was an almost dark neon hot pink haha.I think brand of nicotine may play a factor on that when heat or oxidation is concerned.I have a few different brands of nicotine stored,and i can't remember which brand it was,but when i first opened the liter bottles to put them in glass,one of them had a bit of liquid that was inside the cap,and it had turned pink,the rest of the bottle was still clear,but very visibly pink in the inside of the cap.

I haven't done much research on different brands of nicotine as actually we only have a few that are extracted here in the U.S.

The last I checked I recalled three companies that were actually manufacturing nicotine, the largest being DOW, the other two I would have to look up.

It is entirely possible that heat or oxidization could cause some discoloration, but normally the chemical composition of nicotine tends to turn to a yellowish brown when exposed to the air, it may be also perhaps be something in the VG.

ItTechy

Information Tragedy dOOd
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 4, 2009
    The State of Confusion
    I thought I saw a link on here for bottles somewhere............?

Anyway I saw these on Amazon, and I don't think I've ever seen a dozen 30ML glass bottles with droppers for $7.00

This is the same supplier I have gotten bottles from on Amazon, in Amber....:thumb:

Papillon61

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Mar 22, 2015
    Sunshine Isle
    I would invest in some KGD cotton.

Well actually I did use Ko Gen Do as I said in my original post, which is why I said I thought it was too flimsy to wash. But to make doubly sure I did boil a piece and it is perfectly usable once dried. I used it on some other builds I made today and it works fine.

Tip of the day.

In an effort to conserve, if using Vodka for a cleaning agent, be sure to drink the leftovers!

How about drinking the vodka and using the leftovers for cleaning. :)

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread