This is why we cannot have nice things. - Can E-Cigarettes save BT?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cool_Breeze

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 10, 2011
Kentucky
More like their throats. People that don't have a good b&m near them, that I can see, but I cannot fathom anyone working at a b&m store recommending a cigalike to anyone. Maybe someone can start up a donation program similar to a food bank for those that can't afford buy a starter kit right away. I know...if they have money to smoke, they have money to get the starter kits, but if they smoke and are really addicted to them, they won't last long enough off of the cigs to buy a starter kit. Not sure if that made sense, but you know...the whole vape it forward kinda thing.

...might have some gear to contribute to such.

Hydroscopic

Mar 6, 2015
United States
More like their throats. People that don't have a good b&m near them, that I can see, but I cannot fathom anyone working at a b&m store recommending a cigalike to anyone.

I feel the same way. None of the local B&Ms that I've visited carry cig-a-likes. Only asked because I lack the perspective of a new vaper. Just curious on how many smoking prospects vehemently insist on 'it must be like a cigarette' to the point that they are willing to walk out empty handed.

Years ago it was much easier to say "try this" with a non-cigalike. You didn't have a ten+ minute session on how the PVs were better plus people replying: 'No thanks. I tried that from the convenience store and it sucked.' I'm just fascinated since BT is making a profit. Every 'vaper in the wild' that I have seen doesn't have the cig-a-like.

Who is buying the cig-a-likes?

Cool_Breeze

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 10, 2011
Kentucky
B&Ms might generate business for their non-cigalike gear if they gave away disposable cigalikes. I don't know what the market is like today, but I seem to recall a few years back cigalikes could be had inexpensively in bulk. They may not be the same experience as advanced gear, but might catch the attention of the curious. ...potential public relations.

(Limit one per person, not for vapers...ID, etc.)

Reactions: DC2

skoony

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2013
saint paul,mn,usa
MAO's
I feel the same way. None of the local B&Ms that I've visited carry cig-a-likes. Only asked because I lack the perspective of a new vaper. Just curious on how many smoking prospects vehemently insist on 'it must be like a cigarette' to the point that they are willing to walk out empty handed.

Years ago it was much easier to say "try this" with a non-cigalike. You didn't have a ten+ minute session on how the PVs were better plus people replying: 'No thanks. I tried that from the convenience store and it sucked.' I'm just fascinated since BT is making a profit. Every 'vaper in the wild' that I have seen doesn't have the cig-a-like.

Who is buying the cig-a-likes?
who's buying cigalikes?
probably 80% or more of first time users.
believe it or not the general public and a
lot of smokers haven't a clue.
regards
mike

Reactions: DC2

Hydroscopic

Mar 6, 2015
United States
B&Ms might generate business for their non-cigalike gear if they gave away disposable cigalikes. I don't know what the market is like today, but I seem to recall a few years back cigalikes could be had inexpensively in bulk. They may not be the same experience as advanced gear, but might catch the attention of the curious. ...potential public relations.

(Limit one per person, not for vapers...ID, etc.)

I wonder about the overhead. Maybe keeping a few disposables on hand for comparison makes sense if a prospect was insisting on getting a cig-a-like. Otherwise unless the discussion started or as a last ditch effort, keep it behind the counter. Kind of stealing a page from the cable company's approach to customer service. If you don't ask specifically or insist for it, they won't tell you about an account credit. (I'm looking at you, Comcast.)

The deficiency between BT and B&Ms is marketing. Unfortunately print media ads don't have the exposure that they used to give to small businesses. I wouldn't mind getting a flyer or a post card in the mail from B&Ms. I can always give it someone else when sharing about vaping, just like I do when I get the business cards in my shipments or at B&Ms with the purchase.

I got a phone call from a smoker when they got a free BT coupon in the mail. They have zero interest in vaping and offered it to me. Meaning, that type of marketing works. Just can it work cost-effectively for small business?

I can see the ANTZ having an aneurysm. They flip out over everything anyway.

Probably 80% or more of first time users. Believe it or not the general public and a lot of smokers haven't a clue.

I'll rephrase my question. - Who keeps buying them?

Someone start vaping, great. Whatever works. - Now how do you reach those people since most businesses don't have deep pockets to market?

Hydroscopic

Mar 6, 2015
United States
I consider Big Government to have taken over the role of drug kingpin. They make most of the money, and are most in control.

Unfortunately I'm not among the top 1% or even the top 10% so regardless of my political compass, my voice is just as muted as everyone else. If any of us netted $8.5 billion dollars in the U.S. per year like PM for example, then what we say would matter. We could be batcrap insane rambling on about the aerodynamics of plastic coat hangers and politicians would listen and act. Because to them, money means votes.

That is why I'd like to see someone on our side or an innovative non-BT product take over the starter market. BT is using their money to talk to the government for us and they are saying to eliminate everything we want.

I guess the answer is that we need to find a multi-billionaire vaper that is politically involved.
/End of bad ideas and grievances for this post.

Reactions: Jingles

Hydroscopic

Mar 6, 2015
United States
I read the "bootleggers and baptists" thing a while ago - great read to give you insight to the tactics used by ANTZ and BT.

Yeah. I was surprised someone else didn't post the Op-Ed piece in News and Media before.

It also touches upon government's tactical role choice:

W5rNHJm.jpg

vapero

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 13, 2013
monterrey,mexico
here in mexico vaping is illegal so we have a two sided sword here...
it's harder to source your stuff for the average person that wants to stop but somehow I see much more vapers here than in the US and an added benefit is that I have just seen 1 person using cigalikes; I see much more egos, mods and even a few reos than cigalikes, so people tend to stick to it more easily

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego

Hydroscopic

Mar 6, 2015
United States
If you want to get an idea directly from one of the BT CEOs take a look at this:

Tobacco CEO: If you start smoking, try this via Yahoo, video via CNBC
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/philip-morris-ceo-start-smoking-133151926.html

TL;DR: Watch the video. Draw your own conclusions based on what you know.

aqTLD8I.png

If you want to see what the future holds for closed systems: At the beginning of the video they show prototypes of future BT systems for Philip Morris/Altria a.k.a. Marlboro. (As long as the image above isn't broken, that is it from the video.) They are aiming for two types of vaping systems in their promotional prototype graphic. The closed systems that they have now and heat tobacco leaf vaping systems.

They are referring to their systems as "reduced risk" to play semantics around the "harm reduction" debate.

When asked at 1:16 in the video, the CEO actually admits that it costs double for PM to make e-cigarettes as opposed to making conventional cigarettes. - Meaning that any speculation about BT wanting people to remain on combustibles or relapse is valid.

Regulation discussion starts at 2:20.
He addresses new vapers/smokers and converts at 2:58.

Last edited:
Reactions: nicnik
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread