Boxer Mod Dual 18650 Yihi 350J

Status
Not open for further replies.

Madnapali

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2009
Northeast Ohio, USA
BUT you don't have to wait if your battery runs out in your mod.... You can just pop a fresh 18650 in a mod and go... The fan boys are the only people who say " yeah I don't mind waiting for charging"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's a good point. I've never had to charge a LiPo for a mod so I have no idea how that works out. However, I have a set of extra married HG2s with me today because I know at some point today the two I've been using since Monday are gonna die.

Reactions: dannyben

KTMRider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2014
NJ
Well said @Yozhik and @Madnapali . Not to turn this into a E vs. Y debate, but they sure do have a lot to prove before they gain back consumer confidence.

Personally, I wouldn't even consider anything but a yihi chip. It does everything and does it perfectly. No need for 200W (although Im sure yihi will match that within a week -- they already do on a lesser chip), and the LiPo is certainly a negative.
But you did. I just said I was waiting for the DNA200 version.

All but 1 of 6 DNA40's I have works perfectly. The 1 DNA40 (Hana V4) has a screen glitch but only rarely and it doesn't affect the vape. It resets when you release the fire button so you only see it if you're staring at the screen while you vape.

Yihi doesn't have a perfect record and not considering anything but a yihi chip is fanboyism. I think we have different definitions of "perfect" because the SX350j is not perfect. PFM? Because PWM is a dirty, negative word so fanboys have to clarify anyone that uses it to describe the Yihi signal.

I have no need for more than 40w but there are other features of the DNA200 that I'm looking forward to using and 200w is the least of them.

I like my DNA40 mods. Probably more so now that I've used a SX350j for almost 2 weeks.

Reactions: Dobo

Madnapali

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2009
Northeast Ohio, USA
I'm most likely skipping right over the DNA200 and getting the Whiteout Ares OS when it drops. I'd much rather have open source than anything else. I don't care for company a vs. company b if I can just program the damn thing myself and never have to ..... about what ways they ....ed it up. Since it would be my fault :D.

Reactions: Eric Auer

Madnapali

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2009
Northeast Ohio, USA
Will those whiteout folks be selling just the board as well as competition to the dna and sx? Or just in thier enclosure?
AFAIK, they will be, but it will be in the 'modular' enclosure format that you just snap into their existing box. No idea if they will be selling the chip otherwise, but I would assume so.

Yozhik

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 4, 2015
Chicago, IL
It's only slightly larger than an IPV4. Not too bad. I'd also prefer a little smaller but as an old PC builder, modularity is worth every sacrifice lol.

I consider the ipv4 to be a brick, but that's me. That's also the biggest problem with the DNA200 from my perspective, which is that the more compact the device the substantially greater the compromise in battery life. Thus, I suspect the DNA40 won't be the last 18650 chip from Evolv.

Also, 18650s are pretty much the main competition among battery makers. It's often where you will see the latest battery chemistry and other improvements, after which it trickles down to other battery types. For example, the state of 26650 batteries is not as good as that of 18650s. So the closer you get to the size of an 18650 battery, the more often it can make sense to use an 18650. Even in larger size applications, battery pack makers still often use 18650s because of various advantages 18650s can offer that haven't made it to other battery types.

Madnapali

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2009
Northeast Ohio, USA
I consider the ipv4 to be a brick, but that's me. That's also the biggest problem with the DNA200 from my perspective, which is that the more compact the device the substantially greater the compromise in battery life. Thus, I suspect the DNA40 won't be the last 18650 chip from Evolv.
I get ya. I loved my rDNA40 cuz of how small it was. But I exclusively wear cargo pants/shorts. I have a ton of space, and in some of the deeper pocketed ones, that thing would get lost lol.
Also, 18650s are pretty much the main competition among battery makers. It's often where you will see the latest battery chemistry and other improvements, after which it trickles down to other battery types. For example, the state of 26650 batteries is not as good as that of 18650s. So the closer you get to the size of an 18650 battery, the more often it can make sense to use an 18650. Even in larger size applications, battery pack makers still often use 18650s because of various advantages 18650s can offer that haven't made it to other battery types.
Exactly this. I would rather stick to 18650s unless we figure out a way to use cell phone batteries.

Vlad1

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2014
Earth
But you did. I just said I was waiting for the DNA200 version.

All but 1 of 6 DNA40's I have works perfectly. The 1 DNA40 (Hana V4) has a screen glitch but only rarely and it doesn't affect the vape. It resets when you release the fire button so you only see it if you're staring at the screen while you vape.

Yihi doesn't have a perfect record and not considering anything but a yihi chip is fanboyism. I think we have different definitions of "perfect" because the SX350j is not perfect. PFM? Because PWM is a dirty, negative word so fanboys have to clarify anyone that uses it to describe the Yihi signal.

I have no need for more than 40w but there are other features of the DNA200 that I'm looking forward to using and 200w is the least of them.

I like my DNA40 mods. Probably more so now that I've used a SX350j for almost 2 weeks.

Not getting into the pissing match but I don't think your personal experience of a 16.7% fail rate on the DNA 40's is a very good example to use or to persuade others.

KTMRider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2014
NJ
It's only slightly larger than an IPV4. Not too bad. I'd also prefer a little smaller but as an old PC builder, modularity is worth every sacrifice lol.
I've been building PC's for 25+ yrs. Great for something that sits on your desk, not so much in your pocket :p

Most of P4Y are bricks. 18650 is at it's upper limits of power density, especially at the amp draw these devices are going to. You are not going to see 150w on just 2 18650's. It can't be done. Evolv knew this so they went

I get ya. I loved my rDNA40 cuz of how small it was. But I exclusively wear cargo pants/shorts. I have a ton of space, and in some of the deeper pocketed ones, that thing would get lost lol.

Exactly this. I would rather stick to 18650s unless we figure out a way to use cell phone batteries.
The DNA200 from VS will be only slightly larger than the rDNA40. About the size of a Hana box or smaller. I'm curious what battery they'll be using. Cell phone batteries are low amp draw.

KTMRider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2014
NJ
Not getting into the pissing match but I don't think your personal experience of a 16.7% fail rate on the DNA 40's is a very good example to use or to persuade others.
Yihi fanboy math?

I talk about the SX chip on Evolv threads and I don't get this much crap. Makes me not like Yihi and their fanboys more. Thanks for nothing.

Vlad1

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2014
Earth
Yihi fanboy math?

I talk about the SX chip on Evolv threads and I don't get this much crap. Makes me not like Yihi and their fanboys more. Thanks for nothing.

Yihi fanboy math?
4th grade math. 1 out of 6 or 1/6 =16.7%
All but 1 of 6 DNA40's I have works perfectly.
No crap just clarifying what you stated. As I said, probably not a good example to use to persuade others. But if your happy with that fail rate that's all that matters for you.

Reactions: jstrong

Yozhik

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 4, 2015
Chicago, IL
Most of P4Y are bricks. 18650 is at it's upper limits of power density, especially at the amp draw these devices are going to. You are not going to see 150w on just 2 18650's. It can't be done. Evolv knew this so they went

I agree with Evolv going to 200W, a 3-cell battery configuration was optimal, but it can be done with 2 cells. That being said, most vapers probably are more interested in battery capacity at 75W or less than vaping at 200W. ;)

Reactions: dannyben
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread