Mod Options for a Totally Blind Vaper

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

As a totally blind vaper, so far I've only been able to use eGo-style devices. I started off with a Vapor Zeus from Vapor4Life, but was having issues with the smileomizers clogging and not filling consistently. As of now, I have a 1300MAh Ego-C battery with an Innokin IClear 30B tank.

There are a lot of interesting devices on the market that let you control voltage/wattage and allow e.g. sub-ohm vaping. Unfortunately, these devices all use menu-based interfaces, which I would be unable to access (there's nothing like VoiceOver for more advanced mods.

Short of figuring out how to attach a DNA30 board to some kind of text-to-speech module, are there any non-eGo-style mods that allow adjusting device parameters via physical manipulation (dials, ETC)? It would be really nice if there was something with a Vision Spinner-style dial and some kind of switch to toggle between volts and watts... and maybe an iPhone app or PC software that would let you read puff counters, ETC with a screen reading program.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Reactions: SUPER K

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
Eventually there are going to be mods (power supplies) that can be configured with an app via a smart phone. If the app developers are aware of your issue perhaps they can design the apps to be friendly to voice activated controls on the phone. Another possible option would be to configure the onboard controls so that various displays start at known values and you can get to where you want by counting button presses. Perhaps a vibration function could be added to the board to provide cues to where you are in the menus.

Temperature control adds some complexity because sometimes the device asks if a coil is new or previous. If the device can be connected full time to your smart phone via bluetooth perhaps important commands or options that appear on the screen could be repeated by voice on the smart phone and you activate them with voice.

For refilling atomizers how about syringes modified with hard stops at various numbers of drops so you can refill with known quantities of liquid?

I don't picture you rebuilding but I might be underestimating what's possible. In the mean time there are disposable coil heads.

The vaping industry should take an interest in your issue because, at a minimum, helping people with any sort of disability is good PR and the vaping industry can't have too much of that these days.

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
+1 to @sofarsogood . All of that is coming, but none of it is here, so far as I know. One possible option is a Reo-type mod, what they call a "squonker." Basically, this mod carries its juice supply on the mod, not the tank. The atomizer is a regular old dripper that has been modified to accept bottom feed. The juice supply is in a little plastic bottle in the mod next to the battery. One squeezes or presses the bottle to shoot some juice up a tube and into the atomizer. The atomizer is a rebuildable type, it does not have replaceable coil heads. The mod is a mechanical, not adjustable on the fly. These might not be a problem, though. A coil set should last for months, and a re-wick takes only 5 minutes once a week. Your local vape shop would build your coils and wick it for you for a small fee, I'm sure, especially since you are probably buying your juice. It seems to me the precise volumetric measuring required for DIY juice making would be beyond the vision impaired in the absence of some pretty expensive volumetric pumps. You'd have to work with your shop to get a build you liked in the atomizer, but once you did, it would be easily repeatable. Just a thought. One caveat: squonk mods and bottom fed atomizers are not cheap. Good luck.

Best option I've found so far is the Vapros Vision Nunchaku. How would a full-sized Aspire Nautilus look on that?

Welcome to the forum Parsing. I am going to bump up your question in the hopes someone can help you. Best of luck to you...:)
Hello,

As a totally blind vaper, so far I've only been able to use eGo-style devices. I started off with a Vapor Zeus from Vapor4Life, but was having issues with the smileomizers clogging and not filling consistently. As of now, I have a 1300MAh Ego-C battery with an Innokin IClear 30B tank.

There are a lot of interesting devices on the market that let you control voltage/wattage and allow e.g. sub-ohm vaping. Unfortunately, these devices all use menu-based interfaces, which I would be unable to access (there's nothing like [URL='http://www.apple.com/accessibility/ios/voiceover/']VoiceOver
for more advanced mods.

Short of figuring out how to attach a DNA30 board to some kind of text-to-speech module, are there any non-eGo-style mods that allow adjusting device parameters via physical manipulation (dials, ETC)? It would be really nice if there was something with a Vision Spinner-style dial and some kind of switch to toggle between volts and watts... and maybe an iPhone app or PC software that would let you read puff counters, ETC with a screen reading program.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
[/url]

I've thought about doing a blog post, and maybe a video (need someone for camera work), on the various vaping devices I've used, and various pitfalls of each.

There's virtually no info out there specifically for the visually impaired. Not a problem for, say, cigalike devices, but I'm pretty sure I've been exploring some uncharted territory when it comes to accessible vaping.

That's actually quite involved compared what what I do, which is count drops and be sure to use a needle-tip bottle so the tip fits between the side and the air chimney for my tank.

If you're curious, for the iClear 30B (3 mL), with Mt. Baker Vapor's needle tips, it takes 60 drops to fill the tank. (I could probably go up to 70, but since it's hard to get your finger in to feel the juice, I play it safe at 60.

The normal tips on the Mt. Baker Vapor bottles are horrible. If you til the bottle to the side, there's about a 50/50 chance the liquid will go where it's supposed to, and with those tips it takes about 40 drops.

Another good indicator when filling tanks and some cartos is that the sound of the e-liquid gets higher (when you let go of the bottle) as you fill.

Reactions: r77r7r

Wow1420

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2013
Somewhere out there
When you mentioned using a dial for adjustment, I started thing about the Joyetech Egrip. It's an all in one box unit, with built-in battery, tank and atomizer. It's variable wattage with a dial for control of the wattage setting.

The original had no display, now there's a egrip OLED with a display, but I don't know if the display is critical to use the unit, it appears to still have the dial for settings. The intended liquid fill method is through a swing open door on the side with a captive stopper for a small fill hole. But I think I read that some people fill through the bottom after removing the atomizer head, like a bottom fill clearo.

I've never used an egrip, just watched some of the reviews when I was thinking of buying one.

r77r7r

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    One more mod I remembered - Aspire 30W with Big dial right on top, 1900 mAh battery.
    aspire.jpg

MrPlink

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Mar 7, 2014
    Portland, OR / San Francisco CA
    if you want VERY high power, there are a few mods out there such as the Hexohm and Ranger that are variable voltage only, and simply adjust power with a control pot.

Current models can produce over 100 watts of power and can fire builds as low as .3 ohms.

Being that there is only a button that fires the mod (and does nothing else, it can not lock or turn off the mod) and a single pot to adjust voltage, being blind shouldn't hinder using one at all.

good luck!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread