Everyone talks about "massive airflow" ... Not needed for mouth to lung vaping

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flt Simulation

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2014
Florida
From reading all these posts here, it seems like the main concern lately is how much airflow a certain rba has. People here will say: "that XYZ atty is pretty good, but it just don't have enough airflow, so I wouldn't buy it".

While that may be a real plus for someone that does straight lung hits, a massive airflow just is not needed for someone that vapes using mouth to lung (like you would smoke a cigarette).

Jeeeze, I am starting to think that I am the only person here that actually vapes like I would smoke one of those Marlboro Reds I smoked for over 40 years before I stopped 17 months ago.

Is everyone here just doing big straight lung inhales now .... so the need for lots and lots of airflow?

In the 40 years of smoking, I never saw anyone smoking a cigarette like that .... maybe something else, but that something else sure didn't contain tobacco. :D

vapero

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 13, 2013
monterrey,mexico
I used to do MTL but after switching from tobacco flavors I went into fruit menthols...
tobacco reminded me of cigarettes so I vaped like I smoked
no my mixes remind me of halls menthol candy so now I vape like I used to take a big inhale after using a halls

for me is natural to try to mimic your past, but my vaping is now more related to direct lung pulls

NoFumus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2015
St. Paul, Minnesota
Is everyone here just doing big straight lung inhales now .... so the need for lots and lots of airflow?

The first RTA I got was a Lemo V1, specifically because of all the comparisons to newer RTAs with better airflow. My thought was, "Yeah, restricted airflow, that's for me." I know the subohming & lung hits are what lots of folks prefer, but I tend to stay away from anything with a drip tip that looks like a toilet paper tube.

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA
Nope, not alone!

I think there are lots of us in the tootle puff and modwomp camps. Check the size of those threads!

I actually find the large diameter chimeny on my one Lemo V1 to be too much... my subtanks with RBA get throttled way back, but my Kayfuns are just fine :)

And a large stable of T3S and PT/PT2 (and equivalent Davide / Anyvape) models for when I want something lighter in the hand...

Yes, lung hits and sub-ohm are the latest rage, but I vape to not smoke (successfully, coming up on 3 years!), not as a competitive sport.

roxynoodle

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 19, 2014
Ohio
I do it all. I guess I just love vape gear, lol!

I tootle at 15-20W with about half my attys.

I mod womp with nearly half and do direct lung.

And I have two wild childs running 60W that I really take big hits off of.

And I like all of them. For me its not so much a vaping style as its about finding what makes each atty brilliant to get the best it can give me.

93gc40

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2014
California
From reading all these posts here, it seems like the main concern lately is how much airflow a certain RBA has. People here will say: "that XYZ atty is pretty good, but it just don't have enough airflow, so I wouldn't buy it".

While that may be a real plus for someone that does straight lung hits, a massive airflow just is not needed for someone that vapes using mouth to lung (like you would smoke a cigarette).

Jeeeze, I am starting to think that I am the only person here that actually vapes like I would smoke one of those Marlboro Reds I smoked for over 40 years before I stopped 17 months ago.

In the 40 years of smoking, I never saw anyone smoking a cigarette like that .... maybe something else, but that something else sure didn't contain tobacco. :D

Too me it the difference between people who used to smoke mostly Tobacco cigarettes and are replacing that with vaping... And those who may have smoked other cigarettes, but want there vape to be like hitting a big water pipe.

Reactions: thetrucker

roxynoodle

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 19, 2014
Ohio
The first RTA I got was a Lemo V1, specifically because of all the comparisons to newer RTAs with better airflow. My thought was, "Yeah, restricted airflow, that's for me." I know the subohming & lung hits are what lots of folks prefer, but I tend to stay away from anything with a drip tip that looks like a toilet paper tube.

Yeah, I can't handle sucking on an exhaust pipe. Many of my attys are wearing an alternate drip tip. If they don't have the option to use one, I won't buy it.

BlueSnake

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 8, 2012
Columbia, SC
I smoked cigarettes for almost 50 years.

I have never, and will never, get , or understand, the huge airflow, massive vape thing. It doesn't compute in my brain and/or my smoke damaged lungs. And it's not for lack of trying. Curiosity gets the best of me and I try lots of things, but always come back to the MTL vape at low power and higher ohms.

I really can't help but think that the more juice you inhale, the more probability for complications due to vaping over the long term. Only time will tell.

roxynoodle

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 19, 2014
Ohio
I smoked cigarettes for almost 50 years.

I have never, and will never, get , or understand, the huge airflow, massive vape thing. It doesn't compute in my brain and/or my smoke damaged lungs. And it's not for lack of trying. Curiosity gets the best of me and I try lots of things, but always come back to the MTL vape at low power and higher ohms.

I really can't help but think that the more juice you inhale, the more probability for complications due to vaping over the long term. Only time will tell.

I'm starting to think the opposite might work better for me. I tend to vape my tootle puffs a lot. Sometimes I chain vape. But, those two high powered ones, no. I can take 4-5 hits and have no urge to vape for at least an hour. I used to only let myself smoke 1 cigarette per hour. But, I let myself vape like crazy on my low power attys.

So I suspect if I continued using 6mg in the 2 high powered ones, and only used them, I would vape a lot less and use a lot less juice. I'm considering trying that for a day or two and seeing what happens.

thetrucker

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 10, 2014
Syracuse,NY
I am old fashioned too being 64 years young-----I really like this little fella----enough vapor---lots of flavor------did not have to

skip a car payment to afford it----$6.99-----gets a lot of laughs from the young hipster crowd-----"look at the old guy smoking that

thing".........I would have to have ten of them!!!!!!
DeckSmok.jpg

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser
I would imagine that once someone has a MTL or tootlepuff setup that works, they stick to it, as there is no ultimate goal other than what satisfies them. As opposed to the pursuit of biggercloudsbro, which has no fixed goalpost other than moar vapor/flavour.
Therefore there may appear to be more discussion about the gear and techniques required. I agree that a disproportionate amount of the new equipment is geared towards the goal of blowing bigger clouds which naturally involves massive airflow. This makes sense from a manufacturers perspective, as new design inovations etc. help to drive the market and therefore shift more units.

Reactions: DavidOck

hobbes4

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 23, 2009
I'm not a fan of the sub ohm, huge airflow either. I'm more into dense (not necessarily huge) and flavorful vape which i get perfectly from more restrictive airflow. Also, i find the tootlepuff attys much, much more efficient with juice. IMO the only difference was huge clouds which i'm not interested in, nor am i willing to make the sacrifices that come with those huge clouds:

1) burning through way more juice which means spending more on juice
2) larger tanks to accommodate the increased juice usage
3) having to use 18650 batts. I like my small stealth 18350/14500 setups and those huge sub ohm tanks look disproportional on 18350 mechs
4) lowering the nic and raising the VG which means i need to buy two different juice mixes of the same flavors just to have one for sub ohm
5) when DIY, more VG usually means more flavor which means spending more on DIY flavors
6) looking like a douche in public blowing huge clouds everywhere. I know not all vapers do this but lets be real, there are just as many inconsiderate vapers as there are smokers and a big part of sub ohm is showing off your huge clouds.

All that being said, i have no problem with it in general...it's just not for me. I still sub ohm once in a while at home just for fun but 95% of my vaping is tootlepuff.

On the bright side, since most of the vape gear today is geared towards sub ohm i'm not tempted as much to buy every latest and greatest piece of gear.This allows me to save more and focus on the realy nice pieces of gear i want.

Last edited:
Reactions: DavidOck

vapero

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 13, 2013
monterrey,mexico
I would imagine that once someone has a MTL or tootlepuff setup that works, they stick to it, as there is no ultimate goal other than what satisfies them. As opposed to the pursuit of biggercloudsbro, which has no fixed goalpost other than moar vapor/flavour.
Therefore there may appear to be more discussion about the gear and techniques required. I agree that a disproportionate amount of the new equipment is geared towards the goal of blowing bigger clouds which naturally involves massive airflow. This makes sense from a manufacturers perspective, as new design inovations etc. help to drive the market and therefore shift more units.

exactly
some vape to not smoke
some vape for flavor
some vape for clouds

some eat to not starve
some eat because they love the food flavors
some eat to feel full

I love flavor so bigger wattages and lung inhale give it to me, so I do need a bit more air than a MTL , but not as much as a cloud chaser

r77r7r

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    I always lung inhaled cigarettes and cigars. I never sat around watching how people inhaled their smokes but the friend I was with when I started smoking also lung inhaled. While big airflow might not be for everyone, but it was exactly what I was looking for.

I never knew anyone ever lung inhaled. But I'm glad there is equipment now for those that do.

Was it difficult learning how to MTL back when you started vaping?

Cacique

ECF Veteran
    May 4, 2014
    Orlando, FL
    It was easy to do MTL, only because I did occasionally do MTL on cigarettes, but it never satisfied me. I loved the flavors but missed the lung full hits. Mostly, I tried taking very slow lung hits, but didn't use it much out of disappointment. I started vaping at 0 nic because I had already quit cigarettes, just wanted to get them off my mind and not fall to that in some random moment of weakness. I didn't start using nic until some time after I found sub ohm gear, going up to 6mg and settling at 3mg which helped clear the mental fog I realized started around when I quit cigarettes. Now, I never think about wanting a cigarette, even during hard times like the loss of a loved one, when before I used to think about wanting a cigarette just driving down the street.

Reactions: r77r7r
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread