Status
Not open for further replies.

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
Dear BrotherBob:

Thank you for contacting me to express your views about electronic cigarettes. I appreciate the time you took to write and welcome this opportunity to respond.

As you know, electronic cigarettes, or "e-cigarettes," typically contain liquid nicotine which is vaporized and inhaled by the user. I recognize that these devices have become popular in recent years and that some individuals have been able to use them successfully as smoking cessation aids.

While I am a strong supporter of smoking cessation aids, I believe it is important that consumers have accurate information about their safety and effectiveness. Nicotine is a highly addictive and dangerous drug, and some public health groups have expressed concern that e-cigarettes may be marketed to children and other vulnerable populations as a "safe" alternative to traditional cigarettes. In addition, there is a lack of research about the effectiveness of electronic cigarettes as smoking cessation aids and about the safety of these products, some of which have been found to contain traces of toxic chemicals. Courts have ruled that e-cigarette manufacturers must submit evidence of a product's safety and effectiveness in controlling cigarette cravings before advertising an e-cigarette for this purpose.

On April 24, 2014, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) announced proposed rules to regulate electronic cigarettes. These regulations would restrict sales of e-cigarettes and related products to adults at least 18 years of age, and would require a health warning to be displayed on all products. Additionally, e-cigarette manufacturers would be required to register with the FDA. Any new products would be subject to FDA testing and approval before being marketed for sale. The FDA must consider public comments on the draft rule before it is finalized.

Again, thank you for writing. If you have additional questions or comments, please do not hesitate to contact my Washington, D.C. office at (202) 224-3841 or visit my website at http://feinstein.senate.gov. Best regards.

Sincerely yours

Dianne Feinstein
United States Senator

Further information about my position on issues of concern to California and the nation are available at my website, feinstein.senate.gov. And please visit my YouTube, Facebookand Twitterfor more ways to communicate with me.

The above is probably a form letter. Note the length of it. How could someone write so much and not state any real facts and at the same time point out the negatives of vaping? Gee, I wonder where the senator stands on the subject and legislation of vaping.
Any thoughts of comments?

Lannie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 6, 2015
The windy plains of South Dakota
I got a form letter from mine that said much the same thing, except he added his assurances that I should not worry, because no vaping equipment prior to 2007 would be affected. Uh, that would leave cigalikes and seriously constrain or eliminate anything else since then. I told him exactly what I thought about his form letter (which he did not write, and will not read my response). In spite of the fact it will be some aide who will be reading my letter and NOT passing it on to the senator, I ranted for quite a while about representing the people of the state you represent, instead of the lobbyists for Big Tobacco, Big Pharma, the ANTZ groups, the AMA, etc. It's so frustrating when you send them there to represent you, and then they stop listening the day they get there. Some days I wish I lived on another planet...

Last edited:

skoony

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2013
saint paul,mn,usa
Nicotine is a highly addictive and dangerous drug
from Feinsteins letter.
this is one of the most despicable lies imaginable.
no one knows how addictive nicotine is. we do know 30%
of smokers become dependent on smoking.
nicotine in and of itself has been considered being of little or
no concern for health in the amounts found in cigarettes since
the 1964 Surgeon Generals report on smoking stated as much.
regards
mike

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Gee, I wonder where the senator stands on the subject and legislation of vaping.

As someone who has followed Diane F's long and Sordid career, I think it is Safe to say that Diane F is Not a Very Big Supporter of e-Cigarettes.

And if you go to the Vaper's Dictionary and look up the acronym ANTZ, you will see this picture next to the Description.

dianne-feinstein1.jpg

FlamingoTutu

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 5, 2013
In the Mountains
As someone who has followed Diane F's long and Sordid career, I think it is Safe to say that Diane F is Not a Very Big Supporter of e-Cigarettes.

And if you go to the Vaper's Dictionary and look up the acronym ANTZ, you will see this picture next to the Description.

dianne-feinstein1.jpg
That sums it up in a very tidy manner.

nicnik

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 20, 2015
Illinois, USA
The above is probably a form letter. Note the length of it. How could someone write so much and not state any real facts and at the same time point out the negatives of vaping? Gee, I wonder where the senator stands on the subject and legislation of vaping.
Her response consists of the main ANTZ talking points, and can serve as a guide for what I might like to pre-empt in letters to legislators. I figure I could take each of those bits of misinfo, and present the factual information, not like a response to the misinfo, but like reaching out to educate.

"some individuals have been able to use them successfully as smoking cessation aids" pre-empted with something like, "Many smokers have been using them to successfully quit smoking, and their numbers have been growing. Vaping has become the most common successful cessation method."

"While I am a strong supporter of smoking cessation aids, I believe it is important that consumers have accurate information about their safety and effectiveness." pre-empted with, "Your support for both smoking cessation aids and Harm Reduction principals in other areas lead me to believe you understand the need to gather the best information available on e-cigarettes and vaping, and not make important public health decisions based on misunderstandings."

The other stuff seems easier to pre-empt with facts, because those are the actual misinformed statements.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
That sums it up in a very tidy manner.

Also Don't forget that for Every Batman, there is a Robin. And for Diane F that would be Boxer.

About the ONLY Good thing I can say about Boxer is that she is Retiring. 43 Years t0o Late in My Mind. But at least in 2016 I can break out my Happy Dance while Singing...

Ding Dong. The Witch is Dead. The Witch is Dead. The Witch is Dead.

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
this is one of the most despicable lies imaginable.
no one knows how addictive nicotine is
RE: Statement: "Nicotine is a highly addictive and dangerous drug, and some public health groups have expressed concern that e-cigarettes may be marketed to children and other vulnerable populations as a "safe" alternative to traditional cigarettes."

As she said. Yes, nearly anything and everything can be addictive and cause death when abused. I love the half truths and broad paint brush statements. You really can not argue or discredit her statement.
Reading between her lines, I do not think she has clue or has given any serious positive thought to vaping.

The Senator's thinking? "If its got nicotine or something that may use nicotine---it's evil and not safe."

Hell, driving a car or having sex qualify with this reasoning.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

nicnik

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 20, 2015
Illinois, USA
https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/f...ple-have-seen-this-about-e-cigarettes.679011/
Thanks for that link. I just now responded to the poll, and also to the thread. I've seen the entire video.
I'm not say'n that I would like to see Her and Diane F and Sen. Rockefeller die an a Horrible Flaming Plane Crash.

But then again... No one Asked me. So I'll leave it at that.

Yuk. I hope you don't mean that.

navigator2011

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 6, 2013
Fullerton, CA, USA
I received exactly the same letter. I then very nicely rebutted her points in a following letter. I have yet to hear back from her.

It seems clear to me that these people just don't think anyone should be regularly using nicotine. The idea of vaping for years or even for the rest of life, or dual using is simply out of the question. To these people, all modes of nicotine lead ultimately to chain smoking. Couple that with their notion that people need to be directed, or maybe ruled, and that is how we end up like we are now in California, and eventually the US.

Dear BrotherBob:

Thank you for contacting me to express your views about electronic cigarettes. I appreciate the time you took to write and welcome this opportunity to respond.

As you know, electronic cigarettes, or "e-cigarettes," typically contain liquid nicotine which is vaporized and inhaled by the user. I recognize that these devices have become popular in recent years and that some individuals have been able to use them successfully as smoking cessation aids.

While I am a strong supporter of smoking cessation aids, I believe it is important that consumers have accurate information about their safety and effectiveness. Nicotine is a highly addictive and dangerous drug, and some public health groups have expressed concern that e-cigarettes may be marketed to children and other vulnerable populations as a "safe" alternative to traditional cigarettes. In addition, there is a lack of research about the effectiveness of electronic cigarettes as smoking cessation aids and about the safety of these products, some of which have been found to contain traces of toxic chemicals. Courts have ruled that e-cigarette manufacturers must submit evidence of a product's safety and effectiveness in controlling cigarette cravings before advertising an e-cigarette for this purpose.

On April 24, 2014, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) announced proposed rules to regulate electronic cigarettes. These regulations would restrict sales of e-cigarettes and related products to adults at least 18 years of age, and would require a health warning to be displayed on all products. Additionally, e-cigarette manufacturers would be required to register with the FDA. Any new products would be subject to FDA testing and approval before being marketed for sale. The FDA must consider public comments on the draft rule before it is finalized.

Again, thank you for writing. If you have additional questions or comments, please do not hesitate to contact my Washington, D.C. office at (202) 224-3841 or visit my website at http://feinstein.senate.gov. Best regards.

Sincerely yours

Dianne Feinstein
United States Senator

Further information about my position on issues of concern to California and the nation are available at my website, feinstein.senate.gov. And please visit my YouTube, Facebookand Twitterfor more ways to communicate with me.

Luisa

ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2010
harlingen,texas
I received exactly the same letter. I then very nicely rebutted her points in a following letter. I have yet to hear back from her.

It seems clear to me that these people just don't think anyone should be regularly using nicotine. The idea of vaping for years or even for the rest of life, or dual using is simply out of the question. To these people, all modes of nicotine lead ultimately to chain smoking. Couple that with their notion that people need to be directed, or maybe ruled, and that is how we end up like we are now in California, and eventually the US.
Send her all the real scientific info(it will be a huge packet which will be good) Farsolinas,Burstyn Report, and on and on. Be sure to mention that HHS has lost everytime they go to court against e-cigs. If I remember correctly,CASAA has a library with all the scientific info. Hit her witheverything and see what her staffer has to say when they reply. It should be a long time before they read everything(if they do). Be sure to send her the current study from England. Good Luck! This should be interesting if they ever reply.

choochoogranny

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2013
chattanooga, tn, usa
Firstly, I doubt the appointed "health staffer" will bother to read the massive amount of reports, studies, and personal stories re vaping because Feinstein, Boxer, et al don't care BECAUSE:

1. Check to see what companies/organizations and amounts have been donated to their campaigns for which they are beholden.

2. Calif. is in deep trouble having already spent the MSA money to plug their budgetary gaps by issuing bonds for which they must make annual interest payments. Heck, last yr they had to issue IOU's on state tax refunds owed to individuals because they didn't have the money.

3. They don't mind people quitting smoking, but only at the 3 percent per yr rate the MSA was based on. Ecigs greatly upset that equation PLUS the amount of revenue from the excise tax on each pack has taken a huge hit.

Secondly, those elected people do NOT mind throwing smokers under the bus for the "greater good". Stalin who starved millions of his own people would have been proud.

Fit_Four_Life

Verified Member
Jun 14, 2015
Don't worry, that hypocrite will tell you what's good for you, she knows best.

"I know the sense of helplessness that people feel. I know the urge to arm yourself because that's what I did. I was trained in firearms. I walked to the hospital when my husband was sick. I carried a concealed weapon and I made the determination if somebody was going to try and take me out, I was going to take them with me." -- Dianne Feinstein

:evil:

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
It seems clear to me that these people just don't think anyone should be regularly using nicotine.
So true.
Maybe the best way to handle folks like this is to appeal to their heart/mind. Accent the positives of vaping.
Does anyone know of a boiler plate available that sells/promotes vaping with respect to:
physique
world community
health
as compared to smoking
etc.

Need a real comprehensive pro propaganda treatise. Bombard them with positive feel good feedback. Tell them how many extra votes they will receive if they follow our point of view.
Any sites/info?????

Reactions: motordude
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread